YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

What could i use for...

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ChristianG 
#1 ·
Imported post

I've just fixed my friends really old Weatermatic A underwater camera but the O ring doesent look very tough or clean, i was woundering what i could use to clean it without damaging it more, before we try it out in the pool?
cheers,
Nick

#7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (-=AluminiumToad=- @ Feb. 28 2004,13:29)]Think i'll just keep it at the surface and slightly below then..its not really the camera but the film was bloomin expensive
Bloomin hell young one!

If the film is worth more than the camera just buy one of those 5m surface jobs, they cost less than one "O" ring for my camera!

James  

#9 · (Edited)
:plate:First off I would always try out the housing first cameraless but with some weight inside it to compensate (more or less) for the lack of the camera. Pad it out with tissue (it will give you an idea of where water, if any, is ingressing). Also make sure it goes at least as deep as you're yourself prepared to go with camera in hand.

I agree that a new O Ring is highly desirable and there are plenty of places around (just like here in Oz) who will carefully measure the old one (do remember to take it with you) and supply a replacement or two. It will be a standard size O Ring, none of the manufacturers would go to the trouble, and expense, of wanting a special size.

Your only decision should be what the O Ring is made of. I would recommend Nitrile (bullet proof and lasts forever) or Viton. Since these things cost a mere pittance if you buy in the right place (a Camera Store or your LDS will charge like the proverbial wounded bull) you should get away with it for pennies.

Edit: I suppose I should also talk about the shore (hardness) of O Rings. The greater (harder) the shore the more difficult it will be to get the thing between the two surfaces it is supposed to protect. Conversely the greater the shore the less the O Ring will distend under pressure - no bad thing that. How hard the O Ring is depends entirely on you and your abilities. Incidentally, the use of grease is to allow that wretched O Ring to settle in its groove, it has nothing at all to do with the integrity of the system. Grease in fact attracts dirt and there's plenty of that even in the clearest water so there's now a school of thought (I'm one of that school) which does not use grease at all because a shiny and clean O Ring will repel dirt

Edit 2: How did this thread suddenly reappear at the front of the queue? :(

#11 ·
I could have just cancelled my post but I decided to leave it there just in case it might be of some use to someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.