YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Any ideas please?!?!

5ltr 232bar - £104 (I'm assuming might be too small?!)
7ltr 300bar - £144
10ltr 232bar - £114
12.2ltr 232bar - £114
15ltr 232bar - £129
18ltr 232bar - £179

Also, is there anything extra I should get when getting my first cylinder?

Thankyou

x x x

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Wait until the dive show in November - I got my 15l 232 last year for around £100.  Also at the dive show you could play with the cylinders to see what you feel comfortable lifting?

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Kate
ladies tend to be more gas efficient that blokes so a 12 would probably suit best, but bear in mind you might want to twin-up so maybe a 10, then you could add a second later.
Make sure you can use either DIN or A clamp, most valves have an insert that can be removed. MDE valves are regarded as good quality. Steel tank rather than Ali, Faber are common steel tanks. Watch the test date in case it wil be out soon.
My tanks have boots and nets, very non-DIR I'm afraid.
Matt

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Some god advice up there about waiting for the Dive Show to pick up a bargain - it's the week after we get back from Egypt. I plan to have a look for a set of twins there.

In terms of size, I would think a 12 is plenty big enough. I've got 15's that I bought when I first got into diving. I was concerned that I should have plenty of air so that my gas gussling didn't force any buddies to come up earlier than they wanted. However, I found my air consumption very quickly improved and now I can't use a full tank without going into deco. They're bloody heavy aswell!

Any tank you get should come with a boot on - quite necessary as some places refuse to fill them without them. Mine are netted, like Matts. It helps protect them and they're more secure on your BC.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

12's are generally better all round. Enough for decent reserve for your buddy and light enough to lump around the boats.

Boot, yeah, probably better given that the cylinders won't stand up and some dive shops frown on that. But the net is a waste of money. The BC will fasten to the cylinder much better without one, more friction you see.

Andy

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Agree with everyones advice so far,
My preference would be a 12l or 15 hate to say but even at this early stage you might want to consider budgeting for a pony cylinder,setup regulator and clamp.
Get the chequebook out

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

12L sounds like a fair plan to me, you will get fed up of lugging the bigger cylinders around very quickly!
Boots - yeh they are a good Idea especially if your going to places like stoney - you don't want them rolling your tank around on the tarmac.
I think the nets are a real pain but the neoprene sleeves you can get are fantastic - it gives your cylinder more protection than a net and doesn't reduce the grip your cam band gets on it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Thankyou for all the above guys!!!!

x x x

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Forgot to mention, its better to get the tall one and not the stubby. Better trim and better resale value in the future due to the fact they can be twinned up.

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

On that subject.. I know Faber make a tall thin 10L cylinder, but I only ever see the stumpy fat ones around - does anyone know of a supplier of tall 10s?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Hmm.. that's weird - there was definitely a thin one when I last checked..

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I think beaver 10s are thinner, you'd have to check but last time I looked they did as far as I know. They're made out of a different material now than fabers though, so best to check buoyancy characteristics too.

Digs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts