YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I am new to Diving so want to get advice on what I should buy, where is best to get it and what would be a reasonable cost.

New or Used

·
13.05.2012 QPRmageddon Day
1,948 Posts
Just back off now, you don t need it, you really really don t need it.
Love
Your bank manager

·
Diving happy
2,254 Posts
Are you a member of a local club ? If not, consider joining one - it can be a good way to learn and get advice on kit (plus people in the kit often have stuff to sell).

·
Platinum Member - I wish...
776 Posts
Quoting from a previous thread, in list of priority. It's going to set you back a bit though so I would recommend joining a club/borrowing kit first to make sure it's something you definately want to commit to.

1. Mask
2. Fins
3. Boots
4. hood
5. gloves
6. undersuit
7. drysuit
8. compass
9. Regulator set
10. wristslate
11. bcd/wing
12. divebag
13.weightbelt
14. weights
15. Snorkel
16. Dive Computer
17. Cylinder
18. Pony

·
Diving Dad
506 Posts
1. Mask
2. Fins
3. Boots
4. hood
5. gloves
6. undersuit
7. drysuit
8. compass
9. Regulator set
10. wristslate
11. bcd/wing
12. divebag
13.weightbelt
14. weights
15. Snorkel
16. Dive Computer
17. Cylinder
18. Pony
Oooh, I've got everything except the wristslate and the Pony. Does this mean my scuba equipment is now complete, with the exception of the one item that will kill me? :)

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
It is still Friday isn't it?

Ask your instructor / club. Get a mask that fits, everything else can wait.

·
Open Wide
2,417 Posts
Quoting from a previous thread, in list of priority. It's going to set you back a bit though so I would recommend joining a club/borrowing kit first to make sure it's something you definately want to commit to.

1. Mask
2. Fins
3. Boots
4. hood
5. gloves
6. undersuit
7. drysuit
8. compass
9. Regulator set
10. wristslate
11. bcd/wing
12. divebag
13.weightbelt
14. weights
15. Snorkel
16. Dive Computer
17. Cylinder
18. Pony
I only possess 12 of those, I manage just fine. As a brand new diver, buy as little as possible, you will sell most of it within a year, ask me how I know!

·
bulging sweaty dirty putrescent member
1,331 Posts
I'd say don't bother with this open circuit malarkey and go straight to closed circuit rebreather - it'll save you a fortune

The alternative is that you get a prehistoric Buddy bcd and a weight harness and lead and a 15ltr and a 3ltr pony and crappy regs and a semidry and flippers and goggles
Then you'll get a membrane drysuit and 12ltr twins and OMS wing and detachable weight pockets and quatro's and apeks TX100 regs
Then you'll get Halcyon wing and stainless and aluminium backplates
Then you'll get 7ltr 300bar twins and another Halycon wing and a DUI compressed neoprene drysuit and heavy fins and apeks atx40 regs
Then you'll get a JJ-CCR and have a shed full of useless dive gear that you pick over slowly and then put on ebay
(this is semi-autobiographical) :teeth:

·
Go Big or Go Home
1,865 Posts
I'd say don't bother with this open circuit malarkey and go straight to closed circuit rebreather - it'll save you a fortune

The alternative is that you get a prehistoric Buddy bcd and a weight harness and lead and a 15ltr and a 3ltr pony and crappy regs and a semidry and flippers and goggles
Then you'll get a membrane drysuit and 12ltr twins and OMS wing and detachable weight pockets and quatro's and apeks TX100 regs
Then you'll get 7ltr 300bar twins and another Halycon wing and a DUI compressed neoprene drysuit and heavy fins and apeks atx40 regs
Then you'll get a JJ-CCR and have a shed full of useless dive gear that you pick over slowly and then put on ebay
Its like you know me!:D

·
Losing the Will...
3,815 Posts
Then when you've sold stuff, realize later down the line that actually you wish you'd kept it afterall.

·
A five mile tide of surprise and oblivion
69 Posts
My advice is to make sure the expensive stuff is reasonably flexible. You'll probably go through a couple of masks, pairs of fins etc, but you don't want to be buying new regs, BC/wing or computer after a couple of seasons. Buy good quality regs (when I started diving everyone in my club had apeks, I've got apeks and they've got a good reputation). Get a wing or BC that will take a twinset and will hold your head out of the water, so something with plenty of lift. Beg, borrow or steal cylinders for as long as possible: you will inevitably end up with a garage full of cylinders. You start with a single cylinder, your air consumption goes down so you buy a smaller one, then you add a pony, then you want twins, then you want a stage, then you bin most of them for a shiny yellow box. On computers, I'd get something that you can switch gases on. Basically, look at the person on the dive boat who looks most like a Christmas tree with shiny stuff hanging off everywhere, then assume that's going to be you in 2 years time and count how many D-rings and pockets you're going to need!

It's going to cost a lot. Don't think about it too much.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
What ? The most inportant bits of kit must be....
Podger
spear gun
spidge bag
R.I.B.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just to add to the confusion I would recommend that you look at what sort of diving you expect to be doing over the next year or 2. If there is going to be a fair bit of holiday stuff then investing in the small items that really make a difference would be a sensible option. That would push the regulators and dive computer up the list as these can easily fit into your hand baggage and can really make you feel a lot more comfortable when diving on holiday. They are also small enough for you put into your baggage "just in case". BCDs, wetsuits, drysuits etc are the sort of thing that you pack for a proper diving holiday, but can be rented cheaply enough for the odd days diving.

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
In the words of Dory (Nemo) "are you my conscience? "

to OP Suggest you - (if you haven't already)

1/. go and have a look at a few local clubs. Get an idea of them, the people, their training capabilities, etc
2/. Think about the diving you would like to do in a year or two, and then - if possible - what your ultimate 'would like to do ' is
3/. KIT - try to borrow bits, talk to others with experience - try to understand how to get yourself comfortable in the water once you have done basic training.
4/. Until you are really really sure this sport is for you - beg borrow (but don't steal!) lol

Most BSAC divers seem to start with buddy commando bc and apeks regs. It's not the only piece of kit but it's what I started with.
Drysuits -so many different types - I just had a made to measure seaskin for £500 but you can buy used. Beware of crap on ebay - lots of people seel good stuff too but it is a bit of a lottery. Buying on YD is less risky but not without risk:D You can budget £200 for a used suit and then a further £70 for new neck / wrist seals

fins - mares superchannel are a good start. Don't buy gimicks. |£60 - can get used ones -
Masks - beaver atomic masks £30 ish are cheap and work well but go to a dive shop and 'suck' it onto your face to make sure it seals. You can't do that on the net!
Cylinders - a 12l is about £160 new. They need testing every 2.5 yrs (£30) so if you buy used bear in mind it could be scrapped due to test fail (rare) and also will cost

Best of luck. Any questions = ask away - YD will help you - Get into this sport slowly. It is truly a wonderful thing to dive and I hope you get as much as I do from it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts