YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Waiting to see what happens
3,844 Posts
I use an air-gun but it is possible to use the autoair. You're right though, it's not as easy CCR (OC I'd use the exhaust gas).
This was one of those holycon manual inflator types no other method of getting gas into it other than pucker your lips n blow - ccr, bail chuck loop breathe in bag release (start to sink) recover loop check po2 open mouth piece and breathe sort buoyancy- its easier getting in the mrs' knickers (believe me that's not easy) :D

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
This was one of those holycon manual inflator types no other method of getting gas into it other than pucker your lips n blow - ccr, bail chuck loop breathe in bag release (start to sink) recover loop check po2 open mouth piece and breathe sort buoyancy- its easier getting in the mrs' knickers (believe me that's not easy) :D
LOL, poor wife ;-)

I'd never remove a working loop, so not something I'd considered. Perhaps try one of those that takes the feed (no lock). I've shied away from them having seen a guy in the pot who's didn't separate for some reason.

Matt.

·
3,844 Posts
My primary is lp hose inflation and I've had no issues using it except on the faited dive when I dropped it :( thus resorting to the unpracticed (on ccr) blow in a bag blob (it's great in the red sea etc). My point really was all this back up stuff we carry if you have never actually practiced getting and using it you might find its considerably harder to get/use than you thought. Factor in a stressful situation and your pit is starting to open up.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Err it's a smb Paul, a one breath blow in a bag affair :D
Ah okay - I thought it was a normal open-ended one you were referring to, followed on from Matthews comment about air-guns and using the Autoair.

And I'm going to ignore Terry :tongue: :D

·
3,844 Posts
Ah okay - I thought it was a normal open-ended one you were referring to, followed on from Matthews comment about air-guns and using the Autoair.

And I'm going to ignore Terry :tongue: :D
Nah that would have been easy, purge reg on deep bail out into an open ender , I was at 20m so if I'd had to bail for real I'd be on me fifty :) no point in chancing a free flow on something u might need ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a inflation hose on both my bail out (and my deco stage had on both stages when OC too). Always have off board bail out (even if just a 3L pony) so always have a reg (for buddy) and inflation hose.

Hose can be used to plug into suit (if suit bottle empty), wing, smb with inflation nipple :) or with an air gun for open end smb.

Primary smb is crack bottle, backup is co2 and yellow if open ended. AP have released a converter to change crack bottle smb into H-like nipple smb (for taking on holiday?)

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Sorry, haven't read the thread / prob duplicating earlier posts.

I always felt (past tense of the verb) much comforted by having a biggish DSMB, an extendable flag (ALWAYS bungied to the side of my cylinders) and a big wing nicely bungied up.

Only once did I dive mid channel between the shipping lanes and conditions were not good when we surfaced (had to let go of the shot and drift off). My buddy got flotation help from my DSMB as he was low in the water and .........

Suffice to say I happy to have a wing that would have supported 2 of me. :)

[edit]FFS, I'm being serious and you're already onto the jokes?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I have one of the new AP widgets that screw in where the bottle goes on the DSMBi.

Yet to test in the water, but in the garage it works OK. Better on an AP 'nearly but not quite' hose than a 'normal' one, but still OK on both.

I normally use a bottle blob as a primary and CO2 ones for backup and yellow, no faf at all. In a tits up situation, simple and fast deployment = good.

·
"Available" (strictly in a professional sense)
314 Posts
Spare mask always certainly, after having a dive ruined in Turkey when clasp wouldnt hold strap tight (own mask a good one)

As for glass breaking, once during a accent from a 38m wreck dive in a v heavy current a diver head butt his buddies 1st stage (bunched up on shot line) glass shattered, said diver (fairly experienced) went from in control to "panic" (perhaps he was one of them people who dont like mask drills!!!!!) the day was saved by another diver above him grabbing him and shoving his own "spare mask in his face" and staying with him until he cleared it and calmed down some, shit can, does and will happen.

·
Registered
186 Posts
(perhaps he was one of them people who dont like mask drills!!!!!) .
I'm one of them people too ,I seem to forget that I can stll breath when blinded with freezing salty water not good when I also seem to assend during the process .

I carry a spare mask but I'm very reluctant to use it .

·
"Available" (strictly in a professional sense)
314 Posts
Like most of the "unpleasant" things if life best to front it up and deal with it (your may find its not really as bad as you imagined!), the more you practice it the easier it becomes, yeah I know yarda yarda, true though! :)

·
Banned
6 Posts
Diving, like life itself, is an experience best shared. You are accountable for your own jump encounter. Self-reliance is a expertise your protection relies on, topside or marine. While divers are qualified to use the friend program to enhance protection and decrease danger, you should be able to make advised choices about your protection during any jump, without depending on someone else to think for you.
I agreed what's said above!!!

101 - 120 of 153 Posts