YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Now that the board is starting to take shape, I'd like to develop the rest of the site. What areas would you find of interest? Dive Dog has already suggested a calendar area where members could post dates for proposed diving trips etc. I have already posted a trial version of this (which Dive Dog has had a sneak preview) and it seems to work ok.

While I'm on the subject, I also need contributors - if you are into photography and would like some of your underwater shots displayed then we could put a gallery online. Give me your ideas and I'll see what I can do.

Regards

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Along with a gallery of past trips and underwater shots, why not have a pictorial guide to everyones little secret spots that they all go to with info on nearest air or where to park , nearest butty shop etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

photo gallery, Great Idea! I have some shots of the fish/reefs in the red sea if thats any good to start off with...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Site is coming on pretty cool.. like the new front page thats pretty cool .. although as a yorkshre dive map.. shouldnt yorkshire be white.. like the colour of our rose... not red.. thats t'other side of hills  .. agree with photo gallery .. but think if your going to do that you will have to segment it all of into Different geographical regions - Red sea - mediterranean ect - north sea .. characters.. fun ..meetings .. ect hopeully some ideas from others will come in -  Will you have enough server space for them all ?? Will sort out through my piccys and send em on
Carl

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Server space isn't an issue so much as bandwidth as I have 1/2 gig server space but I have to 'buy' a block of bandwidth and top it up when it runs low. (Bit like yer mam putting 5 bob into the gas meter Andy!!)

It might be the case that I put the images on some free webspace elsewhere and link out to them. Thats if the demands on bandwidth starts to escalate!

Regards

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I WANNA SEE SOME BIRDS IN NOT A LOT OF DIVE GEAR

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

Think it would be a great idea to have a chatroom going on here... just a simple one that you dont need any downloads on .. most of my time spend looking on here is when Im at work.. jeesus.. hope my boss dont see this !! then maybe we can all get online and have a live chat forum going. :blah:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Altho a chat forum is a great idea, there is not once when I've come to this site that another person has been logged onto it at the same time as I am (and I check this place numerous times a day for new messages.... sad tw*t or what?)

I tend to use Messenger quite a lot these days, it integrates nicely with IE, it means I'm in immediate contact with family or friends when they log on/sign in, it allows me to create groups (i.e. Yorkshire Divers) and as I'm connected all day at work and all night at home (with Messenger running) then its becomes a very useful tool....

If you fancy using it, then you'll need a hotmail account, mines [email protected] Add me to your contacts list if you wish...

Hope to chat with some of you soon

Regards
Dave  :biggrin:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

yes. hotmail messenger is an option.. but I was thinking moreso of containing it within the site... I find that there are people logged in when Im on... I personally dont like using messenger.. you always tend to find you get bombarded with anons and arseholes who want to chat about Islam , homosexuality and non diving related subjects of which I really dont need in my life unless her name is Suki lontime.. originates from Thailand and visits UK very often and loves diving in more ways than one :silly: I think there are diving communities on MSN that you can join if you wanna chat via msn messenger .. just thought one onsite would be better .. keep it in the community

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

If you're getting bombarded by nutters Dog then your doing it wrong... In Messenger there is a Block list and an Allow list in the first you put All other users and in the second you put your friends.. namely 'us lot' :lurk_2:

But it was only a suggestion and I'm keen on anything that will allow some form of interaction that doesn't take days to complete, so a chatroom sounds great to me..

BTW can I have suki lontimes address... and for 10 dollar will she call me Johhny.....

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

I'd thought about a chat facility but have decided against it because:

1. They hog a lot of bandwidth
2. The 'free' versions are crap and extremely jerky (as they use javascript to 'reload' the page every few seconds.
3. The professional versions are expensive.
4. It seemed to negate the need for a bulletin board!

I DO have an ICQ account although I'm rarely on it these days (although you can tell if I am because the ICQ graphic on the bulletin board changes colour to green!).

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Yeah I used to use ICQ a while back, but I don't bother with it anymore as it just became adware/bloatware and was just another 3rd party application hogging resources, I've since found Messenger able to do everything I require, from instant messaging, sending files, to now being able to give 'Remote Assistance' using WinXP... for me ICQ is dead.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Be nice if we could have a chat room with a regular meet time. Would make a nice addition to the message boards.
If its not worth it whose on ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo,etc?
perhaps tackle it that way.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

I've changed the icon that shows 'you have mail' so that it is much more obvious. It also picks up on several screens so it should be 'noticed' fairly quickly. Hope this helps a little.

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Oh poop!! I've just realised that my Messenger addy isn't as above ^^^^^  I'm so stupid.... its @MSN.com not bloody @Hotmail.com

BTW I've just been chatting with myself in the new chat room... and what a boring git!!! :snore:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Imported post

OK - I'm new and still getting to learn the site - (hey I have an excuse to be on 23 hrs a day!)

But is there a link to the emotions section on the actual bulletin board as I had to go through help to find it.

If not - might be an idea so its easier to find.

Just a thought - I'll go back to staying quiet now

-x-Abby-Dabby-Do-Berry-x-

1 - 20 of 35 Posts