YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The idiots idiot.
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new gloves.
My 5mm's are like bloody boxing gloves, and whilst they're nice and warm, I really struggle using them..
My 1mm summer gloves on the other hand (haha) are nice and tactile, but nothing like warm enough (8 degrees at the Farnes this weekend for instance not good)
Can you get hyper-compressed gloves, or thin gloves with a fancy lining that will still keep you warm?

Suggestions please...

G

·
I've just bought Wateproof 7mm Mitts. Lovely and toasty and because the thumb and forefinger are seperate to the other 3 fingers, you are still able to undo clips inflate suit etc. They also have the Waterproof seals, which make them less likely to flush.

Corinne

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I use scubaro 5mm evaflex and they seem great flexible enough but still warm others i know swear by poseidon mitts not tried them yet though.

·
Registered
759 Posts
i use mitts, they are toasty and less restrictive than gloves

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gloves

The best goves I have ever used are Endurotech they last nearly 2 years compaired to 3-6 months for a neoprene pair.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've just bought Wateproof 7mm Mitts. Lovely and toasty and because the thumb and forefinger are seperate to the other 3 fingers, you are still able to undo clips inflate suit etc. They also have the Waterproof seals, which make them less likely to flush.

Corinne
I use these too, for very cold diving. They're just lovely. When it's cold, I really suffer with my hands (to the point of pain!), but these seem to hold off the cold nicely.

I have a set of O3 3 finger mitts too, which again are very nice. A little more flexible, but not quite as warm (still pretty warm though).

Also, I have a set of Waterproof 5mm 5 finger gloves, which I use when it's not so cold. These are lovely and warm and flexible too.

I do like the Waterproof range. They're turning out a lot of good products.

Jen

·
Registered
50 Posts
gloves

It might be totally obvious, but try 3mm gloves? They're readily available & my close fitting titanium ones are fine for most winter diving (not too long in the water!).
I use 3 finger mitts too for long cold dives, but you might not like the "clumsy" feeling although your fingers can do more as they're warmer (I hate 5mm gloves too!). I know some people think that using a plastic disposable glove (like from petrol station) inside helps with insulation.
Otherwise, Merino wool gloves make great claims about being thin & warm, then there's always dry gloves...that's a whole other topic!!!
All the best!

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I have Scubapro Kevlar ones. They are 5mm but I manage ok with them although it took a couple of dives!

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Yep, I am with 3mm gloves too - any that fit well.

OK, they are a bit cool in the winter, but I notice the sea temperature is starting to rise, so I can get an hour just fine now - 30mins in the coldest sea of winter.

And as Lindsay says, if you have a real problem with the cold - get dry gloves.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Yep, I am with 3mm gloves too - any that fit well.....
I'll 3rd that! I used to use Poseidon 5mm Pro-Gloves - hated them!

I now use 3mm Typhoon Titaniums for all my diving - hands still nice and toastie in cold water and easier to don/doff

·
"Look mate, the problem's between the user and the
2,711 Posts
I use the new cressi gloves :D 5mm and I can feel most things!!!!!

edit - well maybe not, but they are certinally very flex, comfortable and easy to don/doff

·
The idiots idiot.
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies - I'd figured 3mm gloves would be a good compromise, but I wondered if you could get hyper compressed gloves - You can get suits so why not gloves!

Cheers all!

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I use scubaro 5mm evaflex and they seem great flexible enough but still warm

I'm with Tango Man :wink:

I love my 5mm Everflex gloves and hood. They are very thin and flexible in comparison to my 5mm semi-dry gloves, much easier to put on (no garage gloves required) but just as warm.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
I use the new cressi gloves :D 5mm and I can feel most things!!!!!

edit - well maybe not, but they are certinally very flex, comfortable and easy to don/doff
I bought some of those. Bloody rubbish. 2 dives and the fingertips are wearing already.

Personally I use Poseidon Pro 5 in the winter and Decathlon 2mm gloves in the summer. The Decathlon gloves are brilliant- they appear to be wear-proof.

I still reckon a pair of Marigolds with undergloves and 2mm Decathlons over the top in winter might be the answer. Easy to don, buggers to get off.

·
Flaccid Member
5,410 Posts
I've just recently brought a pair of these:-

And with a pair of garage placa gloves to help getting them on and off, I've never had warmer hands for 45 minutes in 7 degree water before :thumbsup:

·
"Look mate, the problem's between the user and the
2,711 Posts
I bought some of those. Bloody rubbish. 2 dives and the fingertips are wearing already.

Personally I use Poseidon Pro 5 in the winter and Decathlon 2mm gloves in the summer. The Decathlon gloves are brilliant- they appear to be wear-proof.

I still reckon a pair of Marigolds with undergloves and 2mm Decathlons over the top in winter might be the answer. Easy to don, buggers to get off.
I'm on 20+ dives and they look as good as new :D

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Endurotech kevlar 5mm mitts, what you lose in dexterity you make up for with their damage resistance.

Safe diving,
Steve

1 - 20 of 28 Posts