YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

What is Cold Water diving? - how cold is cold?

• Below zero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Below 5

• Below 10

• Below 15

• Below 20

• Below 25

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Following on from the debate at present about cold water training, I was just wondering what people view as cold water?

By the way, the temperatures are in degrees C!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I go with the you jump in and if on surfacing you have the desire to swear loudly classification

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>It's all about being kitted correctly.

Yesterday I was in 5.4C water for 45 mins.

All the time I was moving I was fine, but on the stops (20 mins) my hands were very very cold. Body fine tho (thanks to the weezle extreme).

Juz

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>think i'd better clarify what i said above i was going with the when you jump in and cold water hits you and gets under the hood. I'm nice and toasty too thanks to my fab thermals

·
Registered
21 Posts
Imported post

My limit this time of year is 20 minutes.

My hands stop working and I can't press any buttons after that.

And I have problems struggling into dry gloves...

I will go diving for training purposes this time of year, but I'm not really happy at temperatures lower than 8 - 10 degrees C.

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

Erm.....isnt it a bit hard to dive below zero... doesnt the water get sorta thick.... and hard to do a giant stride into?  

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zaksherlock @ Mar. 01 2004,12:08)]Erm.....isnt it a bit hard to dive below zero... doesnt the water get sorta thick.... and hard to do a giant stride into?  
<font color='#8D38C9'>Sea water freezes at about -2 degrees, depending on it's salinity (how salty it is). So if your diving in the polar regions you can get it below zero.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

Water can be below 0 degrees and remain liquid - it depends on the salinity (how much salt in it).  Think of a good bottle of vodka in the freezer which uses alcohol rather than salt to lower the freezing point.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cold for me is when i jump in and after 5 mins want a swamp ( P ) .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hmmm, I remember a few years ago doing my Advanced Open Water at Stoney in January in a semi-dry suit in water of 4 degrees C, I didn't know any better and it was cold after the 20-30 min dives!!!

I did my Rescue Diver in December last year with the water at 8 degrees C, I was in a drysuit but still had 5mm semi-dry gloves as I had worn on the Adv OW, wasn't too bad and only started to get cold hands after an hour or so doing the dives and drills.

If the bodies core temperature gets cold then the extremities go numb quicker as the blood is pulled into the body core to warm it up again. If the body is nice and warm with a decent dry suit and undersuit there shouldn't be a real problem with a 30 minute dive at this time of year.

The problem is the head where most of the bodies heat is lost from, a decent 7mm hood should help, but I still think anything below 5 degrees C is too cold for divers who don't have alot of experience of those types of temperatures or the kit to deal with it.

Jack

Ps On the flip side Derby Divers are planning an Ice Diving Speciality in Norway if anyone is interested.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just as a matter of incredible dullness, 0 deg C is not the freezing point of water but the melting point of ice. You can take pure water just below 0 deg C and it will still remain liquid but you can't take ice over 0.

How boring am I?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Woz @ Mar. 01 2004,13:01)]You can take pure water just below 0 deg C and it will still remain liquid but you can't take ice over 0.
Yep, its called the "phase change" point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How boring am I?
Not a patch on me... I studdied this rubbish for years as an engineering student  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Just to add to the nerd corner bit, we were taught that 100% totally and utterly absolute pure water (which is only really possible to get in lab situations) won't freeze as ice requires a molecular nucleus to start the crystal formation, certainly you can easily see the difference between the freezing point of tap water as compared to de-ionised distilled water (which is still not totally pure).

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Cold water for me is when there's ice floating on the surface in my favourite fiord. The air temp yesterday was minus 2, the surface water temp 1 degree and the temperature at depth 2 degrees (3 in one place - we must have struck a warm current!!). The dive lasted 40 minutes and I didn't feel cold until the safety stop, when we stayed more or less still for 3 minutes.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Did the rescue course in Jan 2003, -3c air temp and about 4c in the water at Stoney. Hoods, regs and anything covered in water became frozen. We all felt that surviving the weekend was something to celebrate at the time.

I am now a confirmed winter diver with my weasel extreme, 4th element undersuit, and dry gloves. With gloves and wooly hat for the surface.

I was Gildy yesterday with some fellow YD divers and the water was a cool 5c:;):

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

Pesonally i'll dive in any water temp. The lowest so far i've done is 3°C on new years day. I'm very interested in doing some ice diving when i'm a little bit more experienced and got the dollar to do it.

If you have the right kit then the water temp is only a number to be aware of.

Dive season, what dive season?!!!!!!  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Never mind the cold water - On Friday I had to leave my drysuit in the sun for ten minutes before it defrosted enough to put on

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>It's only cold when I don't go diving so therefor it ai'n't cold yet.  

1 - 20 of 34 Posts