YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting rid of the trade mark yellow box. (tears)

I need he ability to change the size of my tins without using side slings.

So I must bite the bullet and get a frame...

So my question is "whats the best DT box these days" 17/5/07

·
It's my initials... not my state of mind
170 Posts
There's quite a few on the market at the moment and it all depends on what yo are looking for.

My preferred option is Michael Hearns "Alibox"

Take a look at:-

Product

Beautifully made and currently in its second incarnation with a few modifications from those in the pictures that make it even better.

It's also available in two sizes... one specially tailored for the Evo.

And......

If you are looking for the "best" option, he also does it in marine grade Titanium!!!!! But it will cost you!!!!

I'd also take a look at the "KT frame" from Kent Tooling.... lovely bit of kit and it flat packs for travel.

Cheers,

Mark

·
old time
6,658 Posts
look at the "KT frame" from Kent Tooling.... lovely bit of kit and it flat packs for travel.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I can recommend the Micheal Hearne titan box( apart from the price!),

The Ali box he makes is also very good...brilliantly well made, good bloke to deal with and look good too.

There so far are about 4 or 5 floating(or sinking) around Plymouth at the mo.
:teeth:

·
"Dyson with Death" diver!
2,081 Posts
I'm getting rid of the trade mark yellow box. (tears)

I need he ability to change the size of my tins without using side slings.

So I must bite the bullet and get a frame...

So my question is "whats the best DT box these days" 17/5/07
Are you pulling the thing apart just before you go up to orkney?..oh and hope you get the head back from APV..Your other option is to sell the whole thing and buy a KISS :teeth: ...no need for a silly frame to hold the thing together.

·
Like a Pie-eating Ninja
680 Posts
And then you just get any spare parts (read replacements for broken bits) sent up... eh Zepp

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently posted this on RBW

After persevering for over a year I am giving up on the KT box. No matter what I do it’s a strain on my back. Backplate wing and harness are straight off my twins so should be the same but isn’t. Got a comfort pad, trimmed perfectly even got the CL’s at the back to lift the unit rather than push me into it and no great improvement. I think its just too long, shame because it’s a very well made piece of kit.

Anyway having started to look again at the plastic case I remember why I dumped it in the first place. So where do I get frame which fits snugly around the scrubber, gives me the ability to use larger cylinders and stands on a base which will double as a home for my suit inflate cylinder.

I know that sounds like a KT box because I am almost describing my unit but it needs to be smaller.

Anyone?

Not a knock at John Perrins excellent work, it just wont do for me. I have though given it a fair trial which sometimes seems not to happen and its my experience not someone elses I am reporting. If yours or your mates is OK then thats good. mines not.

The flatpack idea is a great one but I think that compromises the design a little. All those connections restrict shape options and of course they all add weight. Flatpack it does but its very heavy. Good for diving but bad for travel.

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
KT Frame

As Brian said it's not for everybody but I cannot fault it ,have been diving it for over a year now . Initially I had back trouble as well but found that it was caused by my Custom Divers back plate which was fine on my twins but was to shallow a profile for the frame ,spent more money with KT on a "normal" bp & cured the problem ,daveb0000 had back trouble without using any bp bought one from KT & cured his problem as well .
I have mounted my 2 x 3l cylinders & 2 x 7l & a suit bottle underneath ,note all cylinders were put on the frame once on board even I cann't carry that much !
I also use rear mounted lungs .As said it is heavy ,I do not nead any lead
HTH

·
Registered
977 Posts
decoweenie travel frame

we have 2 of these http://www.decoweenie.com/Frames.htm
- based on the original DT frame -

there's a 'few' threads on rbworld

great for travelling, but personally i wouldn't want to use on a permanent basis (although many owners do).

for Uk use i'd suggest the kt box or the ali box from michael herne

ali box looks very nice in the "flesh" and feedback from users is very complimentary - I'm waiting for mine :teeth:

HTH

vid

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
New frame out next week !

Next week will see John @ KT launch a new frame based on the same design but made out of 2mm stainless so a fair bit lighter than the original will also be available with a choice of perforated or non perforated lids :teeth:

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
I recently posted this on RBW

After persevering for over a year I am giving up on the KT box. No matter what I do it’s a strain on my back. Backplate wing and harness are straight off my twins so should be the same but isn’t. Got a comfort pad, trimmed perfectly even got the CL’s at the back to lift the unit rather than push me into it and no great improvement. I think its just too long, shame because it’s a very well made piece of kit.

Anyway having started to look again at the plastic case I remember why I dumped it in the first place. So where do I get frame which fits snugly around the scrubber, gives me the ability to use larger cylinders and stands on a base which will double as a home for my suit inflate cylinder.

I know that sounds like a KT box because I am almost describing my unit but it needs to be smaller.

Anyone?

Not a knock at John Perrins excellent work, it just wont do for me. I have though given it a fair trial which sometimes seems not to happen and its my experience not someone elses I am reporting. If yours or your mates is OK then thats good. mines not.

The flatpack idea is a great one but I think that compromises the design a little. All those connections restrict shape options and of course they all add weight. Flatpack it does but its very heavy. Good for diving but bad for travel.

How bout one of these.

Total weight is about 2.2kg Note suit inflation bottle mounted on the base.

£250 to you sir.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 14 of 14 Posts