YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

As I am thinking of starting UK diving I thought it would be time to get some advise on what kind of drysuit I should get.

As far as I understand it the main differences between compressed neoprene and membrane are the thermal props and bouyancy of the material (as well as fit). But I have also heard some say that if you intend to do any wreck diving you should stick to membrane. Is this true ?

Cheers

Conor

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Compressed neoprene is tougher than most membranes and better fitting too. No idea why it wouldn't be recommended for wreck diving, unless they're referring to heavy-duty wrecking that'll wear out your suit...

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

That was pretty much what I was thinking, but what would you consider 'heavy duty wrecking'?

I enjoy wreck diving, wo far with limited entry, but would like to do some more training and get more into wrecks (pun intended).

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

As in the type of wrecking we're not supposed to do these days: The grabbing-hold, ripping-chunks-off kind of thing.

But given that the current diving ethos is "Look but don't touch" I can't see it makes the slightest difference what kind of diving you're doing, your suit shouldn't actually come into contact with anything other than water during a dive.

I suppose a case migth be made for wreck diving tending to be deeper and therefore causing more deco, so a nice warm suit is good, but that's a plus for compressed neoprene, not a minus..

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was going mad, there was an article in Diver a couple of months ago reviewing several drysuits and they seemed to say that everything neoprene or thin membrane wasn't suitable for wrecking.

My thoughts were that in wrecking you are probably more likely to get a puncture than if you stay in the blue, but you would have to be subjecting the suit to regular abrasion to actually puncture the suit except where it gets speared, which would have the same effect whatever suit you use.

Then again membrane does seem a lot more popular in the uk, is there any particular benefit ?

Thanks again

Conor

·
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Good benefit

BTW do you know how to get tracking on posts ?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

That's true - rinsed mine inside & out yesterday afternoon, it's already dry..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts