YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Well, this weekend was the first one after LIDS and the first weekend before the Easter break when the Uk diving season unofficially starts for the masses not brave enough to dive year around. So, if you were diving this weekend what did you see that made you wince?

For me it was either two trainees getting out of Wraysbury in wet suits with a lovely blue complexion or seeing a woman in a suit fitted with a P-valve.... those brought tears to the eyes  

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I think I made me wince, this weekend was my first experience of drysuit diving. Lets just say it didn't come quite as naturally as I would have hoped

I did notice quite a few blue wetsuit divers as well though, so that made me realise it was worth the effort to figure out the drysuit thing

(There is more detail in the trip reports section)

·
GUE Instructor
9,260 Posts
Imported post

I went along to Wraysbury to pick up some details for a TDI course. Whilst I was waiting to speak to the guy I watched someone drop a 12 LTR cylinder on their feet. There were also a couple of young teenage trainees sitting on the grass shivering uncontrollably in their 3mm beaver wetsuits.

Nice.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Paying fifteen squid for 3 pre meal drinks at the Park Lane Hotel on Sunday!!

Dive wise has to be my leaky shoulder dump (which I should be able to deal with now due to some good advice received here on Sunday) and a bit of problem with dumping air from the wing on the first dive, but with some good advice from j.w. the second dive was much better. Most importantly learned a few things.

Camdiver - thoroughly enjoyed diving with you on Saturday, I've downloaded the photos and will email you tonight or tomorrow with them. The Tango one is priceless!

Ian

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Cheers Ian, I look forward to the pics.

I put a post under trip reports (a bit longwinded but the highlights are there), you have to post the tango pic if you're brave enough

Hope we get the chance to dive together for more than 20 mins next time

Cheers,

Conor

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (exnavyboy @ April 05 2004,12:07)]Dive wise has to be my leaky shoulder dump
I had that problem as well. I was playing an unconcious victim at 7m in Wraysbury and when I was rescued my shoulder dump was purged a few times to make sure I didn't have any air in my suit... I didn't which meant that I had a rather soggy arm for the following 30 minutes  

G

·
Imported post

watching some sm4rt4r5e trying to do a forward roll entry into Vivian from the top platform and actually complete one & a half rolls, therefore landing competely on their face

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ April 05 2004,12:12)]I put a post under trip reports (a bit longwinded but the highlights are there), you have to post the tango pic if you're brave enough
<font color='#000080'>Conor,

I'll post it tonight. I'm sure it will "brighten" up most peoples day!

Might stick it up for sale and get a smaller, darker one!  

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (exnavyboy @ April 05 2004,12:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ April 05 2004,12:12)]I put a post under trip reports (a bit longwinded but the highlights are there), you have to post the tango pic if you're brave enough
Conor,

I'll post it tonight. I'm sure it will "brighten" up most peoples day!

Might stick it up for sale and get a smaller, darker one!  
Don't sell it, you are currently the most identifiable diver in England, you were recognised within 5 minutes of putting on the suit, surely thats a good thing?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Watching some sm4rt4r5e trying to do a forward roll entry into Vivian from the top platform and actually complete one & a half rolls, therefore landing competely on their face      
Ouch!! I hate watching people who should know better trying stupid entry techniques - there is only one place it will end up....... A + E!

Paul

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Sunday- getting all the way to Stoney only to be told by my buddy that regs were back in Nottingham (you know who you are). So all the way back again, collect regs, back down to Stoney. Then the bloody reg packed up 10 mins into the dive anyway. Hoorah.

On a more positive note we were so late getting there that we bagged a bottom car park spot. And I had a very nice blueberry muffin.

On a mathematical note I think that breaks all records for the (amount of time spent arsing about) / (dive time) ratio.

But what really made me wince was the bloke who was even lardier than me (and I'm no Slimcea girl) struggling up the quay steps in an extremely snug semi-dry. Ooooh you lucky man- God bless your cotton socks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ April 05 2004,11:20)]I think I made me wince, this weekend was my first experience of drysuit diving. Lets just say it didn't come quite as naturally as I would have hoped

I did notice quite a few blue wetsuit divers as well though, so that made me realise it was worth the effort to figure out the drysuit thing

(There is more detail in the trip reports section)
Congratulations on y6our first dry suit dive, I'm sure you've been told but it does get easier.

Hope to catch you on a YD trip to the seaside now you've discovered dry suit diving

Dougie

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Dougie, I'll bring me bucket and spade. Failing that I'm always happy to meet up in Sharm

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Think for me is getting my BCD out of the kit van on Sunday morning at Wast Water to find some half wit had managed to rip the inflator completely off!!
This was then topped by the fact that someone had filled my twins with the manifold closed so after balancing only had 140 bar!!!
In defence of the person filling the tanks however, I will say they did have a pretty tough job the night before - filling 32 tanks off one compressor whip as the others had broke!! I can therefore hardly complain about my fill. Good job Paul for staying out there half the night!! Thanks mate,

Jen

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>if the tango pick is what Im thinking you ought to hang around a bit longer she's got a lime aid mate.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

In answer to the question - Angie, and lovely it was. Lots of chillies and onions in it and topped with mash potatoe crisped under the grill.

Mmmmmmm.

[EDIT]Having read some other replies I suspect that a) I need my eyes testing again b) I need to change my screen settings to "bigger"  c) that word is not mince!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I think the poor women at the NDC Sat, sat on the pontoon, legs crossed huddled over crying, whilst being comforted by her instructor. I just thought women ur in a wetsuit what do u expect & yes glad it wasn't me. Althought saying that we did have two novices going throught there sports diver skills in semi's, I thought that was bad enough.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hmm well we had a load of trainees in Larkfield for their first OW lessons. Most in Club Semi's, and most were very warm.

I was sweating in my drysuit, but i did have my wooly bear on which i don't use very often.

The two 14 year olds i am training did very well although 1 lost his weight belt at 6m towards the end, but no harm done and a good lesson learn't.

They both coped very well with minor problems like leaking masks and a good day was had.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Travelling 100 miles, overnight stay and then finding the planned dives blown out for both days.  Then spending the entire day in the pub from 1pm as a result spending 3x as much as i would have if there WAS diving.

Cornwall trip booked in 2 weeks time and ive done a grand total of 1 dive so far this year so not exactly great preparation.

Next weeks weather has got to be better...

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hey, all be glad you got dives.  I havent been in since Mull.

I saw two anorexic girlies carrying ONE 12l cylinder at stoney on the 21st.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts