YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Trouble re-Member-ing
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How come Israel is a state and not a country?
And while I am asking dumb questions: -
Why do we say we are holidaying "In" a country but "On" an island?
What makes a city? Is it somewhere that has a cathederal or are cathederals only found in cities?
Why does the sun come out during the daytime, instead of the night time when the light would be more useful?
You can tell I am bored, can't you?

·
Always did like HP sauce.....
736 Posts
i was going to answer but decided I cant be bothered so this summed it up well enough....

Point one
Country, Nation or State

Point two
A country may not constitute the whole part of the land mass and therefore you need to designate which part you are 'in'. There are anomolies - Cyprus for instance... You holiday on Cyprus but may then need to nominate which part you are in (Turk/Greek thing going on).

Point three
Apathy has over whelmed me.... who cares, I mean really cares.

Point four
Day/Night its only a name call it what you like but if you want permanent daylight it is probably possible if logistically difficult.... and very cold.

Hope this helps

John

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Why does the sun come out during the daytime, instead of the night time when the light would be more useful?
the sun comes out in the day because it escapes from the sky dragons tummy. The sky dragon then uses the light of the sun to chase it before swallowing the sun and it then becomes night time when the sky dragon gets sleepy and the sun can then escape again.

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
How come Israel is a state and not a country?
you have been watching the news recently? anyone can see Israel is a right state, i mean they are fighting each other all the time. The countryside is a nice and serene place where birds chirp in the trees and people hump in lay-bys, so when Israel calms down a bit and its dogging community grows we shall call it a country.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Point two
A country may not constitute the whole part of the land mass and therefore you need to designate which part you are 'in'. There are anomolies - Cyprus for instance... You holiday on Cyprus but may then need to nominate which part you are in (Turk/Greek thing going on).
As it is Friday, I am allowed to disagree with you :D

I used to live *in* Cyprus.

Mind you, I never had to designate whether it was the south or the north, as it was one country then.

Great Britain is an island. we live *in* Great Britain, not on it.

I will be having a holiday *in* Malta.

:)

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I live in England, which happens to be (the only decent) part of Britain;)
Not for much longer. In the length of time it takes to deal with the bloody ridiculous land laws of England, I will be leaving it. At that point, England's loss will be Wales's gain, and thus the best part of GB to live in. Except, maybe, Scotland, which, as a Scot, I am honour bound to say :)

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Nearly right, it's not a park bench it's a marina car park.
Ah, in that case.....

You're awake at lunchtime? Why did I imagine you to be asleep on a park bench, covered in seagull shit & surrounded by empty cans of Tenants super, having soiled yourself.

·
Registered
893 Posts
To quote Frank Zappa:-

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

The bit about airlines and football are very optional. The nuclear weapons could be dropped too. But beer? Never.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts