YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Charlie Dont Dive!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Sounds a daft question, but you can buy an oxygen use spg on a hose you can even have it in a nice green boot just to prove it (joke).

You can also get button spg's but i have neet seen one of these sold for oxygen use.

So is there anything about the spg itself which makes it suitable or not for oxygen use or is it just grease used and the o rings on the swivel joint and hose that are the difference.

Regards
Mark

·
What could possibly go wrong?
55 Posts
It's cleaned nicely to remove any hydrocarbons that might cause ignition in a high O2 environment, other than that I'm not sure..

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Materials oxygen compatible and the whole assembly O2 clean. However the way it fails needs to be safe, for example if the bourdon tube cracks then it isn't going to blow high pressure o2 into an oil filled case.

·
Charlie Dont Dive!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Materials oxygen compatible and the whole assembly O2 clean. However the way it fails needs to be safe, for example if the bourdon tube cracks then it isn't going to blow high pressure o2 into an oil filled case.
So the spg itself i assume is a sealed unit that is made oxygen safe at assembly (different spec of parts) and if it becomes exposed to non clean air then it can not be made safe for oxygen use again.

Regards
Mark

·
Charlie Dont Dive!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's cleaned nicely to remove any hydrocarbons that might cause ignition in a high O2 environment, other than that I'm not sure..
I understand the 02 cleaning process, just was not sure if the spg itself has any parts that can be cleaned, i always assumed they were a factoy sealed unit.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
So the spg itself i assume is a sealed unit that is made oxygen safe at assembly (different spec of parts) and if it becomes exposed to non clean air then it can not be made safe for oxygen use again.
Get real. The trace contaminants that might get as far as the end of a HP hose is not going to contaminate anything. It is borderline that it could be detected by any existing technology let alone go up in flames.

Actually the green rubber boot would probably burn quite well in pure O2.

'Clean air' isn't actually much cleaner than ordinary air (about five times I seem to remember, I can't be bothered to look it up). It makes a difference if you have a tank full but not a trace.

·
Now a Silent Warrior
1,447 Posts
Ive been using SM36 Suunto Guages on O2 for 2 years now they were on Bail out regs prior to that for 2 more years.
They havent gone bang and havent been specially cleaned.

G.

·
Charlie Dont Dive!
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
What about all the black gunk that you get round a swivel? That doesn't look terribly O2 compatible.
My curiosity is more aroung the spg itself than the hose, swivel and o rings.

Kevin Gurr in his book says he prefers button spg's on his stages, but i have never seen a button spg sold as safe for "oxygen use"

Thinking of which, i have never seen a halcyon gauge sold as for oxygen use.

So is the oxygen thing on the spg a gimmick, in reality are they all built with the same grade components internally.

I have just had a quick look at a couple of web sites and they sell one brand of spg and the price is the same for oxygen ones as for standard so there cannot that much difference in the quality of parts used, so it could be that all spg's off the shelf are ok for oxygen use but some are actually maked so only for identification.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
What about all the black gunk that you get round a swivel? That doesn't look terribly O2 compatible.
Is that not just the o-rings degrading? Use O2 compatible O-rings and the problem is solved.

Why does that sound far too simple.

Where is Iain when we need a 3000 word reply and a vague nod towards the right kit, that is probably made from unobtanium and lubricated with the love juice of royal virgins.

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,155 Posts
Do divers need to be 02 compatible? Just wondered if my filling are likely to burn into flames, do I need to get them changed to gold?

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Do divers need to be 02 compatible? Just wondered if my filling are likely to burn into flames, do I need to get them changed to gold?
I have 'cremated' in my will. If I don't burn I hope my son asks for his money back.

It was an O-ring ten years ago when you bought it.

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
I have 'cremated' in my will. If I don't burn I hope my son asks for his money back..
Ok I'm intrigued...

Do you wish to be cremated in pure O2 - like the Apollo boys?
But surely you're O2 compatible.....so you won't burn will you?
Surely you're son gets his money regardless....isn't that how wills work?

-Paul

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Where is Iain when we need a 3000 word reply and a vague nod towards the right kit, that is probably made from unobtanium and lubricated with the love juice of royal virgins.
Presently at work having pulled an all-nighter building a compressor for the Norwegian Navy, having stopped for a coffee after facing a wall of blue plastic bins and wondering which ones we keep the 300 bar stainless DIN to NPT hose ends in. LOL

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Do you wish to be cremated in pure O2
It doesn't take pure O2. People burn quite well in air.
We are definitely not oxygen compatible. That's why I don't bother about O2 cleaning anything that runs at ambient just the stuff under increased pressure. O2 clean the valve parts but not most of a rebreather as I have seen being done.
Surely you're son gets his money regardless....isn't that how wills work?
No he get's my money. That's how wills work.
Well him and his sister but he'll have to do the organisational work.

Reactions: Foggy

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
No he get's my money. That's how wills work.
Well him and his sister but he'll have to do the organisational work.
No you're wrong, at the will stage its no longer your money, it belongs to your son and heir

;)

·
Diving is expensive, live with it!
1,215 Posts
Kevin Gurr in his book says he prefers button spg's on his stages, but i have never seen a button spg sold as safe for "oxygen use"
Neither have I, but Apeks do do ones good for 40%. Divelife sell them.

I use one on my backup O2 supply, largely in the hope that having made the effort to get a nitrox one will prevent it bursting into flames with O2 :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts