YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this thread will not be controversial.. like the last monster one... great thread though..

I just wondered what makes you tick on YD, what makes it great for you?? This is a thread for everybody, both those who voice their opinions as well as those who are self described "lurkers"...

Me?? Well what can I say, when essentially complete strangers offer and send you kit just because you are a diver... that is just completely amazing in a world where selfishness is high on the agenda... to mention a few: Janos, Mark Chase and thehappychappy... and also the numerous people offering to let you try out their kit in the water before you buy your own... the response you get when you have a problem, the support and offers of help... nice

That is what makes me smile on YD (oh and the massive debates... they are quite entertaining too.. lol)

B x

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Friendship, camaraderie, diving, talking about diving, talking sh1te, picking people's brains, more talking sh1te...:wink: :)

Most important, the very bestest mates I have made through YD.

Helen xxx

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
The Gigs and the banter.

The genuine offers of help and support on all matters be it diving or relationships or worse....both public and private.

The way that any subject gets the same treatment....be it Quantum Physics or other worthy subjects like whether the Pope has seen a bear sh*t in the woods.

The odd way you "know" people without ever having met them.

How some of the larger than life characters are really, just large ;)

The way the word "knob" or "nob" manages its way into every thread.

Mal

·
Rapidly expanding member
285 Posts
I think that Helen has just about covered it all really.

I love the fact that it is a "one stop shop" for any questions, you can guarantee that if you have what feels like a random question, someone out there will know the answer - or at least pretend to.

Juliet

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Friendship, camaraderie, diving, talking about diving, talking sh1te, picking people's brains, more talking sh1te...:wink: :)
The odd way you "know" people without ever having met them.

The way the word "knob" or "nob" manages its way into every thread.
I love the fact that it is a "one stop shop" for any questions, you can guarantee that if you have what feels like a random question, someone out there will know the answer - or at least pretend to.
i have picked out a few bits from other posters, not because I disagree with the other bits, but because these sum it up for me.

If I know or have something that might help someone out, and all I have to do is type a few words, or stuff an extra bit of kit in the back of the car, then I will, and that seems to be the theme on here.

:boy_hug: :boy_hug: :girlhug: :girlhug: Group Hug time :)

p.s. I ate the chocolate, thanks to all :D

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Being able to ask a question on anything from something basic to something techy to something completely non-diving related and get a range of answers is something very useful. There's no feeling of having the pi55 ripped out of you with responses like "Don't you know that?!?!?"

Admittedly all the answers will argue in completely different directions though :D It's all good!

A great community!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
The arguments :D

Oh, Ok, the gigs too, and the banter, and the help......and getting to meet such a "wide cross-section" of the UK's weirdo/divers/both

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
It has varied for me over the years.

Right at the start when I was just learning I used YD to ask stupid questions about kit and procedures. From this, I made some purhases that were fantastic, some less so; although I have to say that this was down to the type of diving I do, rather than the recommendations made.

Next, I started asking for buddies and going on a couple of mini-gigs. Absolutely ALL of the YD folk I've met have been top-notch. Through this process I joined a BSAC club and have done a few other courses through meeting the Instructors "informally" first through YD. It's a great recommendation to be able to meet someone socially / on a dive first to see if you can get along and whether their diving is the sort you'd like to emulate.

Now, I've arranged a few mini-gigs from scratch and have started giving an opinion on a few things. Not that my opinion is any better than anyone else's; just that I feel confident enough in my experiences to be able to offer them to someone else.

So I think it has varied for me. Plus of course, there is the ability to take the piss out of people I've never met. Always a bonus. :D

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
"wide cross-section" of the UK's weirdo-divers
Well you've met us now :D

I like some of the discussions, even the ones where people are talking crap and people don't notice :D

I've bought several bits off here too.

The trips, when they're close, or even far like Skye!!

There's always some usefull tips too, you could learn something everyday on here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts