YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

What money will I need is Sharm..  Some say $ others € and £

Could someone please put me stright, I understand that I will need some local money, and now all the dive schools are using €.  What about the rest of the place..

Thanks Sean

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

EUR or USD in you want to take cash. These are acceptable in dive centres and Hotels. Beware ROEs
For major purchases a bit of plastic. For all small purchases, baksheesh etc you need local stuff. Cash machines do give a rreasonable rate.
Enjoy - especially the baksheesh bit You can fob them off with the odd 20 p peice but watch out for his brothers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Imported post

You'll need some cash for your visa, they take £, $ and euros, other than that I found it easiest just to take money out from the cash machines over there, all the dive centres will take credit cards too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Hi Sean just returned last week from sharm and heres my 2p as i would do things different if i went again.Most things you buy is done in eygptian pounds at the moment 9 EP=£1 and all cash machine give you this.All the dive centres offer in euros but if you pay buy card they convert to EP which i think gives a slightly better deal ,i'll have to wait and see my statements.i would take dollars as these seem to be welcome every where espicially at the duty free shops and airport.At the air port on the way out they do not except EP or cards so only cash $,£ and euros which was a real bummer as i had no cash apart from EP.
If i did it again i would take £50 of each dollars and eygptian pounds and get what ever i needed from cash machines i would not bother with euro unless the exchange rate improves.

Regards,

MAL..

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Dollars definately. Also take some really small amounts to get rid of the bandits are the airport who steal your bags and demand money to give them back. That is the worst part of going to egypt and it gives a really bad impression of what is a lovely country and mostly lovely people.
jules

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

That should be fun, My wife describes me as a Pit Bull, the other two men one is 6'8” about 18 stone and the most bad tempered copper I have ever come across, and Ian is 5’6” with a 48” chest, and bends bars for a living, we were all in the army together and look a right bunch..    We were the only party in the Maldives last year to not get hassled at the airport. Just a few stern looks in the right place.   But we are very nice really.  Love kids but can’t eat a hole one..
Thanks for the advice, and I’m looking forward to getting there it’s the first time for all of us.  Just one last UK dive on Saturday then it’s off to clear blue water.

Sean  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ July 31 2003,14:06)]Dollars definately. Also take some really small amounts to get rid of the bandits are the airport who steal your bags and demand money to give them back. That is the worst part of going to egypt and it gives a really bad impression of what is a lovely country and mostly lovely people.
jules
I usually find a insistant "NO" works wonders....

Although my mate had the best one when they grabbed his bag, carried it 5 yards and put it on the X ray machine on entry, they turned to him and demanded money.  

His reply and it was priceless "Sorry chief but all my money is in the bags you just put through the machine"

Daz

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

for this trip I have three bags all with wheels so that the kids can drag them and will tell the beggars where to get off. Maybe let Bethi get some cursing practice in....10 days and counting.... cant wait:D
jules

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Maybe see you there we leave next Thursday for 14 nights. not to sure who I'm diving with as yet..

Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts