YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hey guys, i have two Dacor Viper tec regs which are, quite frankly, crap.  I am looking for some new regs to plug into the first stages (cos they are ok).  What i am looking for is a side exhaust (preferably), nice easy breathing reg, which will last me more than 50 dives without looking as if it has done 500.

Any ideas?

porglet

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I reckon, as you've got to stick with similar ISP from the 1st stage, go with the Apeks TX40/50. You might well want to get them tuned to match each other, as they won't be exactly the same, but you'll be close enough.

Failing that, have a look around the Dacor range. Mind you, of them I'd have reccommended the Viper Tec until I heard about your problems with them. And it'd cost quite a bit for the 2nd stages anyway.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I'm very pleased with both my Apeks ATX40 and ATX50.  I also use an Oceanic Alpha 7 as an Octopus. Not so good, but OK and a budget reg.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

As above but also considet old, and cheap, favourits like the scubapro R190. Had two for a couple of hundred dives and only managed to upgrade when one got nicked, pretty bullet proof but not as smooth as the Apex.

James  

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I've got the Viper metal and am really pleased with it. What probs have you had with the Tec's Porg?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Apex TX40 TX50 cheep and very very good if set up corectly

Go for the pivoting turret, it makes house routing a doddle.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Pivoting turret was the bane of my life in novice days - I could never figure out which way up to put the 1st stage

Another vote for Apeks TX's, tho I prefer the non-turret 1sts..

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Jan. 04 2004,22:01)]I also use an Oceanic Alpha 7 as an Octopus. Not so good, but OK and a budget reg.
<font color='#0000FF'>Stange....

I actually prefer the breath on my Alpha7 to my ATX200 - go figure

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Its all down to how the reg is tuned. If I gave you my back up TX40 you would think APEX were rubbish but I have it set that way to minimise the chance of free flow or frozen regs my TX50 is set on a knife edge between freeflow and normal usage and absolutly must be set to the - setting when not in the mouth but it breathes so easily in use its a joy. I use Alpher7's as travel gas deco regs and they are very good too but a bit mechanical sounding in use. Considering the cost of the 7's They are nearley as good as my TX50 bit they have no - setting and are prone to fre flow when entering the water.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Helen,

If you're particularly after a reg with a side exhaust I use Oceanic Omega II's as both main and spare and am reasonably happy with them. That you can use them any way up is great if you're changing your configuration regularly and is ideal for use as an octopus or with a long hose. The only real drawback is that they can tend to let a little water in if you're swimming on your side with the exhaust upwards (same as any other side-port reg). It's easily cleared by rolling to the other side.

Had mine for four years and they're still working well. They're cheaper than Poseidons and unlike them you can use the Oceanics with more or less any first stages - I've got mine on Apex DS4's.

Not sure if they're still available though.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Another vote for apex (A)TX 40, I have the DST ATX40 and its a lovely set up. and you can get then dirt cheap too. £84 for TX40, £96 for ATX40

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Jan. 04 2004,12:03)]What i am looking for is a side exhaust (preferably)
<font color='#000080'>why do you want a side exhaust?

if it's to be able to use them either-handed, scubapros can be changed round - apeks can't, right-handed only.

don't know about the ISPs though so don't know if you could mix and match with your first stages.

also, if you bought apeks second stages only, wouldn't the connection to the first stage be the larger size to fit in their non-standard primary second-stage port?

not anti-apeks (have them myself) but just a few thoughts

maybe the easiest thing to do would be just buy whole new regs?

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I always assumed if you needed an apex 2nd stage you would just buy the octopus with a different coloured faceplate...which would be the standard size. I could be wrong

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (camdiver @ Jan. 06 2004,13:58)]I always assumed if you needed an apex 2nd stage you would just buy the octopus with a different coloured faceplate...which would be the standard size. I could be wrong
<font color='#000080'>of course, you could do. but then you'd have to sort the longer hose length (and yellow hose!). none of which are a problem but it's stuff to be aware of.

·
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Oops, good points.....its never as easy as it seems, is it ?

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Jan. 06 2004,13:55)]if it's to be able to use them either-handed, scubapros can be changed round - apeks can't, right-handed only.

also, if you bought apeks second stages only, wouldn't the connection to the first stage be the larger size to fit in their non-standard primary second-stage port?
The side port exhausts are great when donating the reg. Because they can be used either way up it becomes very easy for you and your buddy to swim side-by-side, face-to-face or in whatever way you need. And in use it's nice to have the bubbles going past the side of your head rather than in front of your face. (It's also easier to use your exhausted bubbles to fill an SMB).

I think you can get connectors to compensate for the non-standard Apex fittings. When I got my DS4's I checked they were available but found I didn't need them anyway.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Porg,

Think this through carefully, from what I understand from previous posts you intend to start going deep. Your reg. choice can seriously effects the longevity of your life, do you really want to be mixing first and second stages just to save a bit of cash.

I used to run Apex TX 100's, I loved them, still love them. Now run Poseidon X-streams and love them more, very smooth breath at any depth, plus a single sided exhaust which makes even manual bagging off a breeze.

Think slow, live long.

Andrew

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ Jan. 06 2004,14:14)]The side port exhausts are great when donating the reg. Because they can be used either way up it becomes very easy for you and your buddy to swim side-by-side, face-to-face or in whatever way you need. And in use it's nice to have the bubbles going past the side of your head rather than in front of your face. (It's also easier to use your exhausted bubbles to fill an SMB).
Is that a Omega I see on your Avatar Mark?

Great for camera and video work as well.

Daz

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I bought some regs for a mate not so long ago 2nd hand, Omega 2nd and 2m hose, Delta 2nd, and I think it was a CDX 1st. For £115 I think.

Omegas seem to be good regs, but sell for not a lot 2nd hand, at least in my experience. Yu could get a bargain and sell off your dacors, probably not losing more than £20 or so.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I like the omega regs, have 2 on my twins and even the bungeed is not prone to freeflow on entering the water.

Very nice breath as well.

Daz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts