YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm curious.... what's the REAL difference between...

Are they not just a piece of metal with a few holes and slots cut in them? Okay let's ignore the harness - does it matter who makes your plate? Are the holes, slots and dimensions standardised or will only one plate work with one wing?

Answers on a postcard please before I spend my money!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

They'll all carry your twelves Drift, just as all watches will tell you the time.... You pays yer money, You takes yer choice..

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

The Halcyon is definitely shinier.  Shiny thing?  i want it.  What is it?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I'm with Andy - the Halcyon is clearly the most shiny plate on display. It also has less holes around the edges.

I think they're all slightly different shapes. I believe Custom Divers make one without the central channel thingy so you can't use wingnuts. But they all do the job.

If only they didn't have such widely different price tags, I might have gone for the shiny one. But the Combro one suits me fine. Besides, I'd hate to loose my 100% Halcyon-free status

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I can verify Davy's Halycon BP is shiny shiny indeed, fortunately there aren't any flight paths over Capernwray or we'd have had the RAF thinking it was a distress signal! :biggrin:
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

They are all made by the same O.A.P. it just keeps the guy out of the pubs. And the they sell the under all sorsts of names. Do not buy a drill a hammer and a Jiggsaw or you will put that man out of work.

Michael

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

Major difference i noticed was that the combro (which I have) can mount a single without an expensive adapter (wich i have done) due to the camband slots along the contour.
Just used cambands off old bc's and hey presto - single and pony wing!
Stu.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Stu
The new Halcyon plate has slots too although I wouldn't want to dive a single with my 55 as it would be a nightmare trying to dump any air from it, but then again that would apply to most bladders made for twins

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

I seem to remember a link to Combro - does anyone have it (or know where it is??

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Picking up on this backplates malarkey here's one for you all.

Forget the plates (mines Halcyon) but what about the webbing. After only 20-odd dives my Halcyon webbing's starting to look a bit freyed in places. Particularly near the bottom of the backplate where the retainer is.

Anybody got any preferences for webbing - i know it's cheap compared to plates and wings but it's just as vital

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've got one of theose IQ pack so don't use webbing, but I've heard that some divers prefer car seat belt material as it is more flexible and has a closer weave, obviously the material is going to be up to scratch re wear and tear.
chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

The best webbing I've yet found was from my local dive shop, a lovely bright blue and really rigid. Tried some of the soft black variety, it was pathetic, tangled up at the drop of a hat.

They stopped selling it, so I hope my current harness lasts a long time..

Was never impressed by Halcyon, frayed too easily. I've heard that some climbing shops do good stuff.

If anyone ever finds out just WHAT stiff webbing is used for other than diving harnesses, please let me know so I can try and buy it from them

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Thanks lads - Any ideas of where to get all the bits and bobs from. (that being retainers, D rings weight belt clips etc. My LDS doesn't really cater for this kinda stuff)

I've a yearning to make my own rig after seeing how easy it is.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Salamat Po Daz.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

You are welcome Gav,

The offer of a copy of my video footage of the marine life in the Philippines still stands.  

No charge (sorry can't do it any cheaper than that ;) )

Daz

1 - 20 of 21 Posts