YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have an Apeks low profile auto dump which has never worked and is now leaking. I have decided to get rid and get a decent one, can anyone offer advice on the best to go for ? The less bulky the better, which is why I went for the Apeks to begin with.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

The SI-Tech autodump is excellent (and low profile).

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Phil,

I'm due to pick up my DS from Divers Warehouse after having the valves changed to the Si-Tek ones.  I went for these following recommendations on this forum.  Can't wait to try it out - the old autodump valves didn't work properly at all (old ND valves - wouldn't close off and kept losing air) so the new ones will be a revelation - I hope!  

Sorry that didn't really answer your question did it?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I have not had any problems with my Apeks autodump (Don't suppose your old one is available for spares is it Phil.)

I have heard that the si tek ones are very good.

Darren

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the info, the Apeks dump is to be returned its only a few months old. Since I got it I have had it returned and told that nothing is wrong which is why I am wanting another make. I tried an old Apeks which worked fine but was a bit bulky.

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

it is easy to check the valve, take it off and try sucking air throu it, from what would be the inside, sorry a bit of KISS there. If it is ok then it may be the seal between the suit and the valve, again that should be easy to spot, look for damage on the sealing edges.
BTW i have never had any problems with apeks valves, low profile or otherwise.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Just done that again today. It works but not underwater, I thought at first the undersuit was blocking the air wanting to escape but I think it is from a dodgy batch. I have spoken to a few people experiencing the same problem. I have just re sealed to see if that stops the leak till I get a new dump.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Blimey this cropped up on handbagnet the other day - you should have seen it ! You obviously dont know how to use the dump prperly Phil you muppet/stroke whatever !! :smash:

That's more or less the response I got when I raised the issue - personally I close of my auto as it has consistently failed to do the job but being tight I put a cuff dump on mine - works a treat and cost £7

The older turret Apeks autos are supposed to work well but a bit bit - SiTek seems to be the way to go mate !

Otherwise it's back to the pool for you my boy for some training if you listen to some on the other side - would you like me do a speciality for you ??  ;)

Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks Paul,
I have a cuff dump which I use but the auto is a backup but it needs to work. I think si-tech seems to be the popular choice. See you on 2nd Feb, should be fun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

Phil, I didn't know there was such a thing as a good auto dump!  Noone we know has good things to say.  they all get cuffs fitted eventually.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Can't let you get away with that! The cuff dump is regarded here in Sweden as a relic of a bygone age. Nobody has one here any more. The autodump has made them redundant, in the same way as the BC and later wing vests replaced the Fenzy. It's called progress. :sofa:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

you know me mate! Never one to let politeness get in the way of a good argument.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

I never had a problem raising my arm to dump... bit unorthodox I guess in this high tech world. But missing the point here re Phil's redundancy point.  A good one that is never addressed.  Except to say, open the seal and get wet.  I'm considering a second cuff for that very reason.  Never got on with auto dumps and antique as they are, cuffs are simple, obvious and tend to work most the time.  not had a blockage yet.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

Hmm. I used to swear by cuff dumps until I recently upgraded my suit to a neoprene which has an auto apeks low profile. I was ever so skeptical, but I will say Ammers talked me into sticking with it.
I now think that If you know how to use them, they are magic. If it's properly set up, you should only need to adjust it slightly every so often through the dive. I had a dive on Saturday (Dosthill/Tamworth - 48 minutes!!) where I didn't even have to push it to vent once (and I use my suit for bouyancy.)

In this game it's whatever you're happy with that works the best. If you're suited to cuff dumps, then fine. If you're suited to Auto-dumps, again, that's fine.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Have to put my vote in for autodumps.  I also find they work very well.  It is also very easy to adjust the amount of air retained in the suit by closing the dump just a few clicks (Ideal with a compressable undersuit).  I only adjust mine rarely, usually just opening fully for my ascent.

Also I have rarely had to push it to manually dump (Mainly before I got used to it).

Kind Regards,
Daz

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I had an Apex it didnt work it wouldent dump

I got a Si-Tec it works briliently never had a probelm

Mind you there is a slim posibuility I became an infinatly better diver in the week it took them to supply and fit the new Si-tec valve. That is inspite the fact I had no dry suit so could not dive
??

Perhaps its's a revalation. I should start a cult

My M8 said I was a cult

Least, I think that's what he said?

Mark Chase

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

yep gotta go with the auto, my personal preference is too leave it wide open the whole dive, as I tend to try and stay horizontal all of the time the suit doesn't vent until I either roll slightly raising that particular shoulder or the decrease in ambient pressure does it for me.. either way it works perfectly. I'll shut it down completely on the surface and then pump the suit full of air.. feels luverly around the nads when I do that... sigh.....

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

SiTek low profile auto dump(make sure your hoses are compatible etc).Good stuff,I've only ever known Ammers who's had trouble with one(anybody else and it might seem suprising!)You could always find yourself a "proper"manual dump with a pull cord.Dumps what you want,when you want.Hobby.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Imported post

or maybe buy a video about diving...save all the effort.  Pick up your arm and dump!!! auto dump? what next??? auto bouayancy control?? Ph, did n't someone invent that already for carribean divers?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts