YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently dive in a Norther Diver Vortex. Had the suite for a couple of years and not had any issues or leaks. I or should I say we ( wife ) have decided we would like to buy some new dry suits towards the end of the year. I've been looking at a few options over the net.

Northern diver Cortex. £489. Well Its a Northern diver and as I already have a ND suit and have no problems with it, this one appeals to me. Comes standard with pockets braces etc. Looks good and if I were to have any problems then there are local DC's that can make repairs etc. Off the peg should fit me and the wife. Would like to know if its possible for a NEO neck seal, as I always find Latex a bit uncomfortable.

Dive Master 2010. £488, Been looking at these as an introduction to Neo suit. Cant really say much as I have never dived in neo drysuit before. Having read some of the threads posted I hear that they can be warmer, and may have a slight edge on comfort. Again easy to get repairs etc.

Outer Edge. £399. Really looking for some feedback on these suits. The price shown is for a suit with no pockets, and latex seals. If I were to upgrade then its another £85 to change the neck and wrist seals to neo and £55 for two bellow pockets making it around the £540. Looks nice, but to bring it up to the same spec with pockets etc as the ND's then Im spending another £60.

I was looking to veiw and try the ND's in a couple of local Dc's. Also going a round the dive show in Oct to see who has the best deals to try and bring the price down a little.

Thank you in advance for any info provided.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I too have a ND Vortex that's now about 10 years old. I wouldn't replace it with another ND suit as I've heard far too many reports of the poor quality of their suits since they moved manufacturing to China about 8 years ago.

When the time finally comes to replace mine I would seriously consider a Seaskin Nova, MTM, front entry and you can specify exactly what you want in the way of extras, and it should cost about the same as the ND suit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I investigated this subject before my recent purchase (of an O'three suit) I found the main decision to be made for the type of suit you are interested in is the type of organisation to deal with, high volume of the peg types (ND and others) or one of the smaller UK manufactured independents (Seaskin, Predator, Hammond, Outer Edge, Otter etc). I got the impression that most of these smaller companies offer a more personal MTM type service. All of them seem to have good after sales reputations and I would suggest a visit if possible before you buy.

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Seaskin Nova

Not only are the suits very good value but the backup service is excellent too.
My 4 year old suit went in for repairs- I had damaged the zip :embarassed: and stressed a seam too much :embarassed: plus need new wrist seals. I had a number of dives lined up and Richard and his team fixed everything back to the original standard in double quick time.

There are a couple of people who are concerned about these suits lasting. Mine was one of the first purchased through YD, I dive all year round and it is doing an excellent job for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have opted for the O Three Suits. Why ? At the end of the day when you add any extra's for example on the Outer edge, then it comes close to a £600 suit, so I would be paying an extra £99, and for that I get the chance to try the suit on have all the alteration's and from what I have read in previous posts, a very good after sales service. If I were to purchase the top of the range suit from Ndiver then thats an extra £200 on top of what I want to pay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.