YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
918 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Oct. 14 2003,10:03)]I was watching a programme on C5 last night and they said that White Tips are very unpredictable
<font color='#000080'>Were they talking about white tip reef sharks or oceanic white tips? There is a BIG difference.

I saw a few white tip reef sharks and silver tip sharks at Elphinstone reef. I was gutted that I didn't see any hammerheads  
 I would have been extremely pleased to see an oceanic white tip and/or a big tiger shark (both of which can be seen at that pinnacle). Surprise shark encounters are VERY exhilarating as I found out when I saw my first shark in Thailand

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I think the test'll be when I see one...me not looking forward to it though!!!

I don't think any kind of pretty pictures being painted (or sticks  
 ) will make me feel anymore at ease about spotting one (Although the thought of bringing home some nice pics would be good...but not healthy on my heart)

x x x

· Not as tall in real life
3,947 Posts
Imported post

Kate,

Don't worry about them, they are just big fish.  Most of them are very timid and you would be fortunate to get anywhere close to them.

In my experience they are extremely timid and wary, definitely more scared of you than you are of them.  

Oceanic white tips are less timid but it is not common to see them.

I hope you do get to see some it will I have no doubt cure your phobia.

Daz

P.S  If you wan't my tip, don't worry about sharks, be concerned about Titan trigger fish especially when nesting  

· Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,898 Posts
Imported post

About THAT film, there was a documentary on the Discovery Channel last night, in which the author of Jaws and a survivor of a Shark attack went in search of Great whites. After touching the noses of some in south africa and putting them in a trance, they went on about how mis-understood the creatures are. The author said he couldn't have the written the same book today, that although they are predators they are not psychopaths as presented in the book/film.

I have never yet encountered a shark and although I'll probably nervous or scared when it first happens (depending on the size of the shark), I reckon if someone who has been attacked by a shark can touch a great white on the nose, then I can swim past at a distance.

There are a lot of dangerous critters in the Red Sea, but with a bit of knowledge you know that you have nothing really to worry about. I think the only time I got quite nervous was when I had a large free swimming lion fish stalk me, but eventually we just went our seperate ways.

And as for the knife, I don't think we should encourage that one, especially as your buddy will most likely be a YD'er

· Registered
5 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hey Kate don't worry - my dive instructor/buddy always told me that you can swim faster through water than they can through shxt!!!

I've dived in the Red Sea for 3 weeks and never saw a shark and neither had most the people I dived with many who were pretty regulars out there.  I think perhaps the southern trips have more shark spotting opportunities.

If you do be sure to let us know!

Sue

· DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,096 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kate

Not done the Red Sea but i saw a Whale Shark off Kenya one time, very large and sooooooo impressive, the kind of experience you just don't forget. The Wahoo looked scarier than probably anything else i have seen in warm water.

As for Italian Divers, we had one who is working over here guest dive with us a month or so ago. Nice bloke and a very good diver, he coped well on his first UK dive in 3-4m of vis on UB109 in 25m. Very good skills in all areas, but a very dodgy Goatee Beard and hair style.

Have a good safe trip, oh and watch "Deep Blue" (i think?) i gather that is far more realistic on Red Sea type sharks and how they behave

Dive Safe

Paul

· Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

Hi Kate

Just got back from the Red Sea and saw my first shark.

The sighting, (White tip reef shark about 1.5m long), had our group spell bound for the duration it was visible and was definitely the highlight of our week. (We were diving at Jackson reef in the Straits of Tiran).

None of us were worried about the encounter and just enjoyed the show.

Rob

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ainsley @ Oct. 16 2003,11:01)]Hi Kate

Just got back from the Red Sea and saw my first shark.

The sighting, (White tip reef shark about 1.5m long), had our group spell bound for the duration it was visible and was definitely the highlight of our week. (We were diving at Jackson reef in the Straits of Tiran).

None of us were worried about the encounter and just enjoyed the show.

Rob
A white-tip reef shark couldn't scare anyone. I bet some of you would've been a bit nervous if you'd seen an ocean white-tip or tiger shark, though! I've had close encounters with lots of sharks, including bull sharks and hammerheads, but I'm still not too keen about the thought of a close encounter with a tiger shark, even though I know it would be very unlikely to attack me. I love seeing sharks but they are unpredictable, some species more so than others, so, personally, I combine that love with a healthy respect. I'd hate to be one of the very few divers that have been attacked by a shark. Sorry if this goes against what most of us have been saying up to now, Kate.  

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I know that while I'm down there I'll poop myself, but I can inagine the buzz I'd have when I've got my feet out of the water!!!!

x x x

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.