YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just wanted to share my first experience of my local BSAC club and ask you all whether what happened is the norm with all BSAC clubs.

I am not a novice diver (PADI Rescue Diver + Nitrox + 65 logged dives) although I do not consider myself an expert or experienced by any means, but I am very keen to extend my diving to UK waters and expand my skills. With this in mind I went along to my local BSAC club and at first all was very friendly and helpful, that is until I had a discussion with the instructor present that evening. His view was that before I could go on any of the club dive's I had to go away and learn how to use my Dry suit.  He suggested I go to Stoney.

He had a complete disinterest in continuing the conversation until I could clearly demonstrate skills/qualifications.

Somehow I had it in my mind that the club would help with this kind of training? I am being too harsh?

Anyway booked a PADI dry suit course for next Friday and then I might try another club.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GasMuncher @ July 18 2003,13:09)]Just wanted to share my first experience of my local BSAC club and ask you all whether what happened is the norm with all BSAC clubs.

His view was that before I could go on any of the club dive's I had to go away and learn how to use my Dry suit.  He suggested I go to Stoney.

He had a complete disinterest in continuing the conversation until I could clearly demonstrate skills/qualifications.

Somehow I had it in my mind that the club would help with this kind of training? I am being too harsh?
Hi GasMuncher

Yeh difficult to believe, its instructors like that ,that get the BSAC the stupid reputation about BSAC v Padi,

If it had been me I would have offered to give you the training, did you speak to the Dive Officer or Chairman, I would make a point of contacting them, Iam sure the whole branch can`t be bad, if it is look elsewhere.

BB

BSAC OWI 610  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Muncher,

Sorry you got treated so shoddily by this 'club'. Alas, certain BSAC clubs do take on a form of club-Nazism which puts off prospective club members.

That said, I would definitely recommend that you undertake a dry-suit course if you intend diving the UK waters (inland or sea). There is a 'must have' skill required when 'flying' a dry-bag and it's a skill that can save your life. You will need to learn how to address and correct suit-squeeze, how to address and correct an inversion (where your suit legs/feet fill with the travelling air from the spaces in your suit and you have a rapid feet-first ascent), which can end in tears.

So yes, get some dry-bag training or a course under your belt from any recognised training agancy and dive safely.

You might also want to blow off the club you mentioned - their loss mate.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yeh difficult to believe, its instructors like that ,that get the BSAC the stupid reputation about BSAC v Padi
Your right, I won't let it tar all BSAC clubs with the same brush.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Gas

We (Canterbury Divers) are a BSAC Club and we had a PADI diver of similar experience to you come in to see us on Thursday. We had a chat and he is going to come out with us in the channel on Sunday as a guest diver to see how we do things.

Unfortunatly for him he will probably be diving with me. We have several PADI divers in our club and another 2 from Pilot divers came out with us a couple of weeks ago.

We also have several BSAC divers in the club i wont dive with. I can understand some attitudes though cos several divers in the club who have done PADI courses on holidays have really struggled on the BSAC sylabus.

I put most of this down to the lack of diving following the training course, which is after all only qualifiying you to start diving and learning the real skills.

I hope you have more luck in the future with a club. By the way we run drysuit courses on request, cost is just the suit hire if we cannot borrow one off another club member. Done over a week i.e. Tues night lectures, Thurs night pool lessons, Sat lake training and sign off, Sun salt water familiarisation.

Good luck

Paul

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>gas muncher

what area are you from, maybe someone in your area will be able to recomend a club to you

i was (am) padi and joined a bsac club, luckly they where a top bunch, this guy seams like a right plonker, unfortunatley you do get them, please try again, or try another club, the rewards are worth it

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I'm based down in Hampshire, if I said were everyone would know which club it was and I don't want to flame the whole club because of one individual.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We also have several BSAC divers in the club i wont dive with.
Paul, you would believe some of the things I've seen on PADI dive boats. If I had a pound for everytime I've stopped a diver entering the water with one of the following:-

1. Air not turned on.
2. Octopus in BCD pocket.
3. No mask on.
4. No fins on.
5. Just enough lead to sink a feather.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GasMuncher @ July 19 2003,03:46)]Paul, you would believe some of the things I've seen on PADI dive boats. If I had a pound for everytime I've stopped a diver entering the water with one of the following:-

1. Air not turned on.
2. Octopus in BCD pocket.
3. No mask on.
4. No fins on.
5. Just enough lead to sink a feather.
I really don't like the inter-agency rivalry.  I don't know about the UK, but here in my part of the US the DIR/Anti-Dir rivalry seems to be heating up.  I'm certified through PADI, took my rescue through SSI and have also taken the GUE DIR Fundamentals course.  When I dive, especially with someone new, I find that I try not to say where I've been certified in order to avoid any of the debate.  I just want to enjoy diving!

Right now I'm in a PADI Divemaster course and about a month ago I was helping out with the open water dives of a class.  It was a shore dive and we all did a surface swim out to our bouy and were ready to drop down when we noticed one of the students had only one fin on.  The student didn't even notice!  Pretty funny.  Luckily the lost fin was found!

Tony

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GasMuncher @ July 19 2003,11:46)]4. No fins on.
Well, imagine a trio of divers on a RHIB kitting up for their second dive of the day last weekend. All experienced (we like to think) divers. Buddy checks done. Ready to go - GO!

My view up as I roll over - my boots - BUGGER!

So modified buddy mnenomic

B - Buoyancy
A - Air
R - Releases
F - FINS,FINS,FINS

Might remember it now
What shall I forget next?

Adrian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts