1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

:eek: :shocked:
Hi Gang,
Well did you see IT??!! Flying Sharks on Channel 5 at 8pm.
Filmed at Seal Island off Capetown...Jeez there were some mothers down there - pack of 16 Great Whites feasting on a whale carcass at one time, and a cleverly contrapted dummy seal with a camera fixed to it's underside to record the shark attacking almost vertically from depth. Capernwray looks good this year!!
Top documentary!
Cheers
John

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Totally awesome John... awesome... can you believe that psycho climbed off of his nice safe boat and onto the remaining bit of slippery carcass and balanced there while all of those whites eat it away from beneath him, one slip and he was fubar'ed... I was getting the jitters just sitting there in front of my TV, to tell the truth he actually deserved to be eaten for that moment of madness....

Also I was blown away by the 4 minute acrobatic death dance between shark and seal... how can two ton of fish stay that active and that mobile for that amount of time??? A seal not being able to out manouver a great white is double dead scary... I built up a whole new level of respect for the great whites after watching that documentary and they already give me nightmares...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

:scared:
Hi Dave,
The stupid SOB would have deserved it if one of the pack had done a Polaris and taken his arm off, or perhaps even worse! Some people are NEVER satisfied. As you say, when you think of sharks, 16-20 foot, one ton Nijinskys pirrouetting through the air don't spring to mind do they?

I'll bet the seals weren't too impressed - how do you cope with a machine like that which comes back at you time and time again and which you can't eventually escape from without outside help?

The most frightening image for me was from the second camera, which the narrator said was filming for the first time a Great White in hot pursuit under water. Christ can you imagine being down there and seeing it screaming towards you?

More please, every night, to replace Corrie, Brookside, Emmerdale, and Eastenders!!
Cheers
John

·
Registered
108 Posts
Imported post

living with mammals absolutely fantastic, i want that cameramans job, must be great doing somit like that!!! First class

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I was watching that shark prog with my GF, and we were waiting for the "explanation", then the commentator said these guys had "solved the mystery of why GWs breach", then the programme finished!! did I have a blak out and miss something? They never explained it at all! Harumph...you wouldn't catch Davey Attenborough slipping up like that.

Chee-az
Steve
PS I didn't see the whole prog,  did they mention that GWs, like tuna, have some ability to control their body temperature (like mammals but a less well developed system) and so can be more active and faster?
PPS Anyone want to hear the fairly unknown tale about the "flying" squid?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Yippee

I'm planning to be off to South Africa in September, staying in Cape town and definitely planning on doing some cage diving (Well it was that or water skiing, and I think the cage is a safer option ;) )

As for the question on biology,  yes I believe white sharks blood is a few degrees warmer than the surrounding water,  this allows them to be more active than some other fish.  Also they are not entirely unique in this, there are some other species.  I think the mako is another one.

Daz

Yes please tell us the story about the squid Steve.

(Edited by daz at 3:36 pm on Jan. 16, 2003)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

They're called lamnids. They don't count as true warm-blooded creatures tho.

They work by sending the cold blood from the gills through the active muscles, which of course generate heat as they work. The muscle gets the Oxygen and the blood gets the warmth.

This means that the shark's temperature is higher than the water's, but by a fixed amount: It can't keep its body at a fixed temperature, it can only keep it 10-20 degrees warmer than ambient.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

And here's a URL if anyone wants more detail
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bz050/wsphysio.html

The rete mirabile (Latin - wonderful net), or counter-current exchange mechanism, discussed is analagous to the loop of Henle we have in our kidneys and is also found in situations like birds legs to reduce heat loss.

OK Flying Squid story - this came directly from Ken Sebens who is a coral researcher at the Univ of Maryland USA. He was on a research trip in the southern caribbean, (near Bonaire IIRC).

Early one evening,around dusk, on the return trip from a day surveying coral, he saw (from the RV) three squid exit the water in unison and glide in formation for what he reckoned to be around 100 metres. Not only this but it wasn't a simple straight forward glide, they banked and turned in a manner which suggested to him, that they were evading an underwater predator which was still tracking them.

Like the breaching GWs this is a rarely described phenomena but unlike the former, this has yet to be filmed. And in case anyone wonders, this chap isn't the sort to wind folk up in respect of his scientific credibility. Pretty bizarre eh?
Chee-az
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 4:50 pm on Jan. 16, 2003)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Hey daz,
       The lady i am dating at the mo, is from capetown..
And a conversation we had a couple of weeks ago, she was explaining that if you are a Hunter/gatherer or even just into fishing. you have to get a liscence to take anything..
And the penalties are qt harsh
dont know if its any help
Steve

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for the info Steve,

I am strictly of the "I don't eat them, if they won't eat me" philosophy when it comes to marine life. :hai:

Thanks,
Darren

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Daz, does that mean you dont catch any fish or that you dont eat any fish. What about them bloody great sharks, they look like they 'could' eat you. I dont dive to kill by the way or even collect so dont worry about upsetting my sensibilities.
Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

OK double standards I guess, sure if I could catch a nice halibut great, but I have courtesy for anything big enough to give me a nasty nip.

I have to confess to having found a big old crab off Brixham before christmas,  picked him up, had a good look and put him back under his rock.  The guys on shore were none too impressed when I told them about him but hey I don't have a taste for crustaceans so he can continue about his own business

Ho hum guess I don't really have much of a taste for seafood except breaded scampi, but I can't find it breaded in the wild for trying ;)

Woe betide any bovine or chicken not paying attention though

Daz

Regarding the sharks :- Yep good point Matt,  I have a plan to give me a better chance,  my buddy who is diving with me is carrying a bit more loose muscle than me and should look more appatizing. :hai:

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

And you could try "encouraging" him to use his fins in a seal-like manner, thereby encouraging the shark further ;)

Daz, we had a bit of a thread on this issue a while back (started by me after I got s*** on another forum for being a pro-wildlife whale-hugger).

Basically, it seems like the majority of folk here support the "look don't touch" approach, and many who say they don't see it as a problem are still comfortable to adopt that approach if their buddy is a fish-prodder. I personally don't dive with someone if they're going to take one-for the-pot but I'm happy enough to dive with them if they'll forego collecting.
Pretty much the same for the lumphammers and chisels scenario but that's a lesser issue for me.

Just in case there are folk who aren't aware, Abbs is a no-collecting zone due to its marine park designation.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I don't eat seafood in any shape or form but I'm quite happy to lift a few scallops if anyone wants them for dinner. We have got an abundance of the wee buggers here so I suppose this is my reasoning, though I wouldn't lift lobbies, fish or crabs. Sounds a bit hippocritical, but there you go. As for lifting bits of metal, if I don't lift it, someone else will. I have just found a small boat in one of our Lochs last week. So if anyone wants to buy 300 portholes, two huge props and a bell bearing the inscription 'Ark Royal' drop me a line. The stupid buggers left it in a daft place with us about, a bit like leaving an XR3i with cracking alloys on it in Mosside. Stripped quicker than a ten-bob whore......
As for being eaten by a shark. Like Billy Connelly said(with a little poetic license)  "You don't need to outswim the shark, you just need to outswim your buddy"

Peter  

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I visited Cape town 20 years ago it used to be a wonderful place.
There was plenty of good fish available in Cape town. Snoek is delicious fresh or smoked. Cabeljou is one of the nicest fish I've eaten. Abalone was available, I once had a friend who used to earn a living diving for them at Mossel Bay.  Taking lobster with scuba gear was illegal and they took away his license for poaching them. The white sand there at Christmas time was so hot it would burn your feet.
My mate Jackson had a back pack a cylinder and a reg in  those days and wanted to chuck computers and dive for diamonds, he was always talking about Augrabie falls, or going to South West. Where ever you are Jacko, may God be with you.  Somewhere along the South West coast there's was supposed to be a wreck thats full of whisky.  Life was full of legends and dreams.
There used to be lots of good cheap wine with unknown labels in Cape Town that probably never left the area, of the well known brands I particularly liked Backesburg but Nederburg was also very good and the KWV brandy was excellent.  The quality control of Lion and Castle was sometimes poor, I thought Windhoek from South West was okay and the Carling Black Label was better than you get here, you could also get Amstel.  There used to be a tour called the Garden route going through lovely places like The Wilderness and Nysna and Plettenburg Bay.  There is a lot of good diving and many wrecks on both the Atlantic side and the Indian ocean.  The rules are bit different over there and some say the ******* and coloureds have gone crazy. Some very high profile local people who knew the score and should have had good protection have ended up dead and you often read about the death of the occasional  visitor.              

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Steve,  good idea on the fins,  if it helps I'm thinking of spraying him with seal pheromones ;).

Druid,  I hope the sharks have the same philosophy as well.  

All,  Interesting point on attitudes to one for the pot etc.  I do admit to having the occasional piece of fish (very rare as I am not really a big fan of seafood anyway - well it's much better alive ;) ).  My point is that I do try to make an effort and avoid so called depleted stocks,  I have tried Hoki in the past and found it more than acceptable.

Does anyone have a list of the so called fishing friendly non depleted fish easily available.

Big hi to all the fellow fish prodders

Daz

"Pro Wildlife Whale Hugger ?"  -  I like it and hope you are very proud of the title as I would be

(Edited by daz at 12:51 pm on Jan. 20, 2003)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Yeah I am :biggrin: , I was arguing the case for wildlife (on another forum) and then someone decided to have a go by calling me a tree-hugging veggie, which amused me so much I sprayed my keyboard with coffee! I'm fairly sure it was meant to be provocative and derogatory but it's accurate so I used to use it for my signature on here.

Plus one of my old PhD supervisors (who I now realise is a  real t*****) uses "Greenpeace whale-hugger" as a derogative when he's teaching undergrad ecology, so anything to annoy people like him/them is good for me  :lol2:
Chee-az
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 1:10 pm on Jan. 20, 2003)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts