YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hi any one got any good dives for this time of year. Befor the rot sets in and I have to start another corse through shear bordom.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

Viz is generally better in the winter due to the lack of planktonic life in the water column, there are exceptions in places from to storms that suspend silt in the water.
 Get the boat out and get offshore to some wrecks, some of the best wreck dives are around the end of the year, water is still fairly warm, few divers about and the viz is excellent.
Who says the season is over? what season?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Too many members of my club are wusses who won't dive in the winter - I doubt I'll get a boatload, hence the interest in shore dives..

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Well Dominic your welcom on our trip on November the 8th Girl Grey doing the Nyon 30ish to top 48 to the sea bed. somthing for every one

We have the whole boat booked and there are 7 on it at the moment including:

Me

AndyP
Wetlettice
Howard (Dive Dude)
Laurance (Diver 60)
Rob Evans ?? We think

All commers welcom.

Very dooable Nitrox dive or mix if you want to grovel in the sand.

We are booked once a month through the winter on Moldavia which often + M viz in the winter months. We are also hoping Andy the Commie will have a few 30m dives sorted to fill the gaps.

Winter diving is fine but they get cancled a lot

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Hi Dom,

Got confirmation from Doug that it is doable all year round and you can always find something regardless of wind direction.

Things get very interesting once the kelp goes and the algae disappears.  On the coast near me you suddenly find loads of hidden swim throughs and caves.  All from the shore too.

HTH

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rob Evans ?? We think
Yup - count me in - I tried e-mailing you but AOL in its infinite wisdom reckons my server's guilty of mucho spam-delivery so always rejects my replies to you.  For the record, the only spam round here is on my head
  Ever dived Girl Grey before?  Couple of mates dived off it recently and weren't big fans of the skip.

FWIW some of the best diving I've done has been in the winter, so get out there and get wet! Let's see, there was Florida in October, 29deg in the water, 30m vis.....

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Oct. 21 2003,23:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Couple of mates dived off it recently and weren't big fans of the skip.
That was Steve not me. My only grouse was that there was not a lot of space for 12 people to get kitted up, esp when you need as much room as I do :- FFM there, head mounted torch there, gloves over there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Let's see, there was Florida in October, 29deg in the water, 30m vis.....
You ought to get out of the bath more often.

It is easy for me to be bitter and sarcastic because I know you are telling the truth, damn it. Why don't I ever get trips like that!!! Call that work !!!

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I have dived Girl Grey many times. Mike can be a bit of a stickler but he is very compitent. He listens to clasical music and wouldent put the footy on even when the world cup England Denmark match was on. He insists on a pre dive breafing and safety protocoles but I dont see a problem with that. He is just not as laid back as some other skippers I could mention.

Very clean boat, it has a lift and you can drive your car right down to it to load and unload. Cant be bad.

Mike has had a rough time of it recently with bent divers and two deaths so he insists on group bookings a dive marshal and surface support. If it wasn't for that I would dive with him more.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Oct. 22 2003,13:56)]If it wasn't for that I would dive with him more.
Mark,

The thing that really upset my mate was (IMO) our fault anyway. The other thing that irked me was so minor that it is not worthy of mention. Beyond that it was only culture shock of diving a different Charter.

As you say Mike is a very competent and able Skipper and I have no complaints to make about him. Especially as he really pissed off a fishing charter by making them leave the site we wanted to dive.

I did find the kitting up area very cramped for 12 divers.

Also, I did go and thank him for a good days diving before we left (we were guests to another club that was short of numbers).

Rgds
Bryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.