YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So of to Shetland for 2 weeks diving with H&H this weekend :), going to have at least 2 days for sight seeing while I'm there so what are the must see sights on the island ? Taking the car over so can go anywhere .
TIA

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Shetland Museum is good (see YD photo caption competition for Gloc and I arsing about in it). Nice cafe but get there early as it gets busy.
Esha Ness really is the End of the Earth and great if the weather's up.
Nice walking on the bit south of Lerwick.
The most northerly bus stop is, apparently, worth a gander but I think you need to get a ferry over to it. It has a sofa and telly in it.
Pubs with diddy-doo music- there is one in Lerwick that has instruments all over it upstairs- grab yourself a guitar and start hollering.
The bar just across from where the Val moors is a proper rough fisherman's pub and for some reason is lined with chekerplate. Janos and I played a lot of pool in there. I won.

If you PM Andra he's a local. Just don't ask him to hit any clays with a shotgun. He couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
So of to Shetland for 2 weeks diving with H&H this weekend :), going to have at least 2 days for sight seeing while I'm there so what are the must see sights on the island ? Taking the car over so can go anywhere .
TIA
Thinking of my last trip I got to see:

The hotel bar until they ran out mojito ingredients, the local lifeboat crew (nice guys), the inside of an ambulance, the Lerwick hospital A&E ward and an overnight observation ward.... Yup, don't drink and dive kids - bad things can happen.

The light house by the airport is also worth a trip to especially if you have a decent camera and you like bird watching (puffins and the like).

Lerwick itself should keep you amused for at least an afternoon with the cafes and bars.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Find out what you can about the Shetland Bus operation during WW2, then take a visit to Lunna and Scalloway.

There's also a lovely little book shop in Scalloway.
dan

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Sumburgh, the light house and puffins
Jarlshof - and the hotel/pub next to it
Scalloway Castle - remember to lock up after you

Bressay - nice for a long walk, but take lunch with you - we found nothing except a little shop!

Enjoy :)

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
OOO - forgot this one - you can, nay, must get a photo of yourself leaning against the road sign to Twatt. Obvioulsy, positioning of the head is critical (especially if your surname is Watt)..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ronas Hill in the evenings at this time of year is stunning - aim to be at the top around 11pm

Fethaland for a wander with the bird life and wild flowers, as well as the abandoned fishing haaf - nice place to camp by the beach

Muckle Roe - easy to walk round the whole island in an afternoon, or just while away a couple fo hours by the light house lagoon, or the Hams plus the water mills - again a good place to camp

Burra Isle - for the beaches

Sumburgh if you like puffins

Unst - way too much to do in a day. but worth a day trip, Hermaness to walk to the end of the UK

Which ferry you catching - we're on the Saturday night boat, though from Kirkwall - aim to kayak round Muckle Flugga next weekend if the weather pixies co-operate....

F

·
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the ideas .Should be enough to fill the days :) Sat at Aberdeen waiting for the Fdiday night ferry

·
4,501 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas .Should be enough to fill the days :) Sat at Aberdeen waiting for the Fdiday night ferry
You know you can't get on the Valkyrie until Sunday morning right? Different schedule to the Scapa weeks....

·
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Rob
Yes i know that thanks . just fancied an extra day of relaxing & site seeing :)

·
4,501 Posts
Hi Rob
Yes i know that thanks . just fancied an extra day of relaxing & site seeing :)
That's lucky then! If you get onboard and realise you've forgotten/broken/ran out of anything let me know and I'll bring it up next week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts