YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My club are off to the red sea (whirlwind august 18th) and some are asking what should we watch out for ? ie whats is capable of killing us with stings, bites etc ? (sharks we know about )

Note that we will not be prompting attacks!
Just a case of taking a wide berth of some critters

·
Registered
247 Posts
Pete

Avoid the big Gin palaces running you down or leaving you at the dive sites:teeth: :teeth:

Also avoid stupidity - that might kill ya:teeth: :teeth:

Avoid Elvis impressions - the other people on the boat will kill ya!:teeth: Heh.Ha...thank you very much!.....:redface:

ATB

Roy

G

·
Never really given that much thought!! Don't touch a scorpion fish, stone fish or a lion fish. A moray could take a few fingers off :eek: Trigger fish are very territorial, and have been known to take chunks out of divers fins :eek:

Oh and Nemo can get quite aggressive too:teeth:

Just relax and enjoy

Corinne

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I suspect you have more to worry about from some of the zodiac drivers, don't surface on some of the busier reefs without an smb.

Don't put your hands on the ledges, you might find a nice scorpion fish and don't put your hands on the sand if your on a shallow bottom especially on night dives.

I used to use a shortie but the other year I seemed to be effected by something in the water and got a rash on my legs so now I always use a full length suit.

I certainly don't think you are going to be in danger from the sharks.

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts
My club are off to the red sea (whirlwind august 18th) and some are asking what should we watch out for ? ie whats is capable of killing us with stings, bites etc ? (sharks we know about )

Note that we will not be prompting attacks!
Just a case of taking a wide berth of some critters
Fire Coral ! Don't touch

Stone Fish ! Very well camouflauged

Scorpion Fish ! can be camouflaged or bright red

Lion Turkey Fish ! look harmless, don't harass (within 1/2m) getting photo's

Don't worry about sharks!!

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good advice

Fire Coral ! Don't touch

Stone Fish ! Very well camouflauged

Scorpion Fish ! can be camouflaged or bright red

Lion Turkey Fish ! look harmless, don't harass (within 1/2m) getting photo's

Don't worry about sharks!!

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AWW an i was so looking forward to using my new ID
Avoid Elvis impressions - the other people on the boat will kill ya!:teeth: Heh.Ha...thank you very much!.....:redface:

ATB

Roy

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
Don't, just don't, pick up or touch a textile cone shell, if you're lucky enough to see one. They're very pretty.

I've seen one once, on a night dive. I didn't touch it though.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Don't, just don't, pick up or touch a textile cone shell, if you're lucky enough to see one. They're very pretty.

I've seen one once, on a night dive. I didn't touch it though.
Yep, that's the real danger. Such a pretty, interesting, innocent-looking shell. It is a bear-trap for those who ignore the look, don't touch rule though. It can kill.

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
The (not so local) cartel... And cone shells are best avoided. I have seen a blue-ringer octopus around Hurghada - again one to view safely!
S.

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts

Lion Fish
Won't bother you unless provoked, look very sedate and slow, if cornered or harrassed it may strike with dorsal fins (up to 5) very quickly. Exremely painful. First Aid - place wound in very hot water (>40 deg C, as hot as you can bear it) to breakdown protein of venom; be careful of allergic reaction.

Lionfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turkey Fish
As above

Electric Ray
Don't touch, very painful real electric shock!

Stone Fish under light
Very difficult to see, hides in and around coral. Venomous dorsal spine, can be fatal! Must seek medical attention .......Easy to accidentally make contact as they are extremely well camoflauged.
Stonefish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stone fish Camoflauged

Scorpion Fish
Same family as the Stone fish.Venous spines along the dorsal fin. Not as serious as Stone fish but will require medical attention if stung. More easily seen and more mobile than stone fish

Scorpion Fish under light

Obelisk Wine
Try for yourself !

Stella
Same as Obelisk

Crabs
If you do get crabs from stella, just boil 'em up and serve with Obelisk!

·
ego postulo urino
3,325 Posts

Fire Coral
5-30 minutes after contact a stinging and burning sensation will be felt which may become very painful, red and swollen. Blisters and weeping lesions may develop. First Aid, wash with Sea Water (not fresh water, this will make it more painful) and soak with vinigar. If any pieces of coral get stuck or left in the wound, remove with tweezers. Watch out for allergic reactions or anaphylactic shock (not common tho)

and no need to worry about Sharks.... 'onest :D

close encounters

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.