YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trouble re-Member-ing
1,080 Posts
I once left a hired cruiser on the Norfolk broads to have a little go at sailing a dinghy. Two minutes later, I was joined by a very wet dog which proceeded to ship several gallons of water into the boat!

Reactions: Mrs Calamity

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Me yesterday.

Nothing today not good soaring conditions.

Andrew
Yep, not great for soaring here either. The wind up the slope was not quite enough to stay up on it's own but when I arrived there was the promising sight of circling buzzards and some swallows racing around in the blazing sunshine. Once airborne the small amount of lift soon vanished as the cloud came in by 11am. Oddly the wind went from "not quite enough" to "too much" straight away, missing out "just right" entirely...

·
Technical caver
813 Posts
Not to good yesterday we could do some training of a winch launch (420M ish on a good one) I need all I can get :shade: The ridge was poor and no thermals. We do get para gliders going out of Coley view point car park (near Uley Glos, end of the runway).

Today a few trials went on air tow as the wind was too strong to winch. If the wind is strong and towards a road we can not risk dropping the cable on the road and only so much laying of (away) on take off you can do.

wind picked up (more) 14:00ish today (the wrong way for the ridge to work) and the tug pilot decided to call the day so back into the hangers the gliders went and the bar was opened :angel:.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Not to good yesterday we could do some training of a winch launch (420M ish on a good one) I need all I can get :shade: The ridge was poor and no thermals. We do get para gliders going out of Coley view point car park (near Uley Glos, end of the runway).

Today a few trials went on air tow as the wind was too strong to winch. If the wind is strong and towards a road we can not risk dropping the cable on the road and only so much laying of (away) on take off you can do.

wind picked up (more) 14:00ish today (the wrong way for the ridge to work) and the tug pilot decided to call the day so back into the hangers the gliders went and the bar was opened :angel:.

Andrew
Nice. I did a trial flight in the Black Mountains a few years ago and loved it - instructor let me stall the glider as I was curious to see what a stall felt like in a glider. I considered joining the local club, but being able to carry my glider in a 15kg backpack is a massive plus for me - can't wait to do some hike and fly in the alps next year.

At least you only have to worry about dropping the tow on the road - one of my friends got blown back behind the ridge whilst he was still learning. Trouble is a road runs along the ridge and he was left hovering 6 feet above the road for a minute or two before he figured out what to do to get the hell out of there. In the meanwhile the cars just had to stop and watch him hover in front of them...

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Stop posting your videos! They are giving me the itch to do it again.

Cornwall isn't a big paragliding area though, so I think my wallet is safe...

·
Technical caver
813 Posts
an't wait to do some hike and fly in the alps next year.
Have fun

This time of year the condition can be right for trips from the club (Gloucestershire) to the Isle of white (St Catherine’s Point Lighthouse) and back (for the keen and experienced).

Andrew

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Stop posting your videos! They are giving me the itch to do it again.

Cornwall isn't a big paragliding area though, so I think my wallet is safe...
You can't fight it. I stopped skydiving just about 10 years ago, and since then had skydiving dreams most nights. My undoing was bumping into a couple of skydivers on holiday who are members of my old club and got talking - fatal mistake... The logistics of living in Weymouth, skydiving, and remaining married to Mrs C meant skydiving was still not a realistic prospect, but then I had a lightbulb moment as I realised that paragliding could scratch that itch.

BTW we had one of the club pilots paraglide from Woolacombe to Swanage just few weeks ago, plenty of good flying in your neighbourhood...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts