YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contacted about a 300 bar cylinder i've got for sale, gave more details and the buyer
said he'd have it. Arrangements were made to deliver it on Thursday, but he's just PM'd me
to say that he doesnt want it.

No question contracts been made and all info given, he's just decdied that it's not for him.

So the question is what would you do?

PS: Oh and it seems i've still got a 300 bar O2 clean cylinder with loads of test available in the shed
if anybody is interested - £85.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Shrug, put it behind me, but forever hold a grudge and tell everyone I know that the defaulting buyer is a no-good, scumbag? :)

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol - Yeah that's what I thought TBH, just having a winge.

If there is one absolute thing that will REALLY pi** me off
is someone not honouring you say, you pay.

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
Technically, there is no contract as there is no consideration. If I were in your shoes I may well decide to "Name and Shame".

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Technically, there is no contract as there is no consideration. If I were in your shoes I may well decide to "Name and Shame".
I thought the payment was the consideration? Or does the payment have to have changed hands before it becomes consideration?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
If it were me, how miffed I'd be would depend on whether I had turned down other potential purchasers before he'd decided he didn't want it. TBH, theres nothing you can do about it either way, if he doesn't want it, he doesn't want it, you cant force him to have it.

I'd just bump the advert to the top of the listings and start again.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Name,shame hung dried and quartered tie them up to a tree with full kit and an empty cylinder so as the can see the sea. with a plaque around their neck stating this unmentionable abysmal crime.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
I wouldn't even name and shame. That is simply throwing teddy out of the pram. There is probably a very valid reason why he has decided he doesn't want it.

Just bump the thread, and don't sulk.

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Some people are "differently moralled"...
I'm not sure if that's real English but it's true :(

I had similar happen on an ebay sale. 5 minutes before they were due to collect, and pay, I got a text saying they were buying it for their mate and she didn't want one in that style :rolleyes: F-ing marvellous but not a lot you can do. Some people just don't honour contracts

·
3,737 Posts
I thought the payment was the consideration? Or does the payment have to have changed hands before it becomes consideration?
Payment is consideration, yes, but I assume that payment has not been made as that would change the situation considerably.

As to "Name and Shame" why not? If someone has agreed to buy something and then backs out at the last minute I would appreciate knowing about this in case I accept their offer over someone else's and then end up losing the sale completely. Exactly this situation occurred to me over on Backslappers with a torch - I got an email "I will def buy it and will send £100 deposit tonight". I then put off several other buyers as I considered it a done deal.

After a bit of "Encouragement" the deal did go through but I would have been furious had he backed out and I had lost other potential buyers.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Name and shame , as im sure we are long overdue a public burning !:angel:

then you can use the following threads to bump your cylinder!:teeth:

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Are you out of pocket?

Things happen. I ordered a new trolley a couple of weeks ago. Then realised that I could repair the old trolley so I cancelled the order. No one lost out as a result.

Terry
You made arrangements for delivery. Did you have to pay for these arrangements in which case I would be asking the potential buyer to cover this cost.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Payment is consideration, yes, but I assume that payment has not been made as that would change the situation considerably.

As to "Name and Shame" why not? If someone has agreed to buy something and then backs out at the last minute I would appreciate knowing about this in case I accept their offer over someone else's and then end up losing the sale completely. Exactly this situation occurred to me over on Backslappers with a torch - I got an email "I will def buy it and will send £100 deposit tonight". I then put off several other buyers as I considered it a done deal.

After a bit of "Encouragement" the deal did go through but I would have been furious had he backed out and I had lost other potential buyers.
Because we don't know why he backed out. Giving someone an internet punishment is a bit harsh. If he'd taken the cylinder and not paid - then I'd agree with you.

Perhaps i ought to name and shame myself - I very nearly bought a new set of regs. I spoke to the dive centre, who set them aside for me. I agreed to go in the following day and pick them up and pay for them. Then I got a £600 bill to fix my car. I called the shop and said I was no longer in a position to buy them. No problem - that is life.

·
3,737 Posts
Because we don't know why he backed out. Giving someone an internet punishment is a bit harsh. If he'd taken the cylinder and not paid - then I'd agree with you.

Perhaps i ought to name and shame myself - I very nearly bought a new set of regs. I spoke to the dive centre, who set them aside for me. I agreed to go in the following day and pick them up and pay for them. Then I got a £600 bill to fix my car. I called the shop and said I was no longer in a position to buy them. No problem - that is life.
But it is a bit different with a commercial retailer to a private individual. The retailer will usually hold stock while the individual simply wants a good price for a bit of spare kit. If he gets messed around to the point that he has to start re advertising it and possibly has to take a lower price because one of the other buyers has now bought elsewhere then the "You say you pay" philosophy would, I suggest, apply and if that failed to induce payment that I would have few qualms in mentioning that the sale fell through due to a certain time waster.

There is also a chance that if the same bit of kit is re advertised buyers may feel there is something wrong with it that made the original purchaser decide against it...

To my mind, if I say I will buy something from somebody I feel morally obliged to go through with it, especially in a relatively small community such as YD.

·
Pastafarian Member
393 Posts
I can understand you being a bit hacked off, but to answer your question, I'd re-advertise it.!
300 bar cylinder for 85 quid, sounds like a bargin, very tempting......mmmmm....on second thoughts, na.

Best of luck
Sag

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
But it is a bit different with a commercial retailer to a private individual. The retailer will usually hold stock while the individual simply wants a good price for a bit of spare kit. If he gets messed around to the point that he has to start re advertising it and possibly has to take a lower price because one of the other buyers has now bought elsewhere then the "You say you pay" philosophy would, I suggest, apply and if that failed to induce payment that I would have few qualms in mentioning that the sale fell through due to a certain time waster.

There is also a chance that if the same bit of kit is re advertised buyers may feel there is something wrong with it that made the original purchaser decide against it...

To my mind, if I say I will buy something from somebody I feel morally obliged to go through with it, especially in a relatively small community such as YD.
afaiac, 'you say, you pay' applies to trip spaces where there is a probability that someone will lose out (eg the skipper and/or other divers)) if you pull out and fail to pay, and is a totally different concept.

It costs nothing to advertise privately on YD.

FWIW, morally, I agree with you that i would feel obligated to complete the transaction however, I know damn well that not everybody has the same moral values as me. That doesn't mean that I am going to sully someone else's name for events which may be totally out of their control.

·
3,737 Posts
Morag, I agree that circumstances may mean that situations change and for some unforeseen reason a deal cannot complete, and in that situation I would not "name and shame" but take a look at Terry's original post -

....the buyer said he'd have it. Arrangements were made to deliver it on Thursday, but he's just PM'd me
to say that he doesnt want it.

No question contracts been made and all info given, he's just decdied that it's not for him.
That sounds like a time-waster who has given Terry the run around. I for one would appreciate knowing who it was in case he offered to buy something from me only to pull out because he changed his mind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts