YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

What would you do. - Honest divers unite!

• Found marked/named item whilst diving - keep it regardless of value.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Found marked/named item whilst diving - try and return it regardless of value.

Votes: 0 0.0%

What would you do.

3K views 63 replies 39 participants last post by  Dave Crampton 
Imported post

I'm just checking with a mate who's a lawyer, but I'm sure that the situation is;

The torch is still the property of the owner, even if lost. If found, *reasonable* steps should be taken to return the property to the owner if it is marked as such (which it is).

Failure to return the item classes it as stolen goods, so the person who lost it should report it to the police as lost.
As for his mate, if he has an idea who has it (or someone else does) it's actually a criminal offence in aiding and abetting a criminal for one of them not to return it to the owner

I think the proper thing to do is if it's difficult to find the owner (so no postcode or owt) then hand it into the local cop shop. They usually give the owner 90 days (or maybe less) to claim it, after which time they'll give you a call and you can keep it.

I'd try to persuade him to return it to the owner.

Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ April 26 2004,11:42)]Doesn't law vary a bit with finding things at the bottom of the sea?
I think it may do. I'm waiting for my mate to get back to me so we can have a definitive answer on it! (Unless someone else can beat me to it!!).

Imported post

Just add another 2p worth (making 44p now) but I lost my Knife on Sunday at the waldrens. It was there when I went in but not there when I came out

Nonetheless, it's a Wenoka Z-Lock Blackie Collins which is about 15 years old, so if anyone finds it (and it's immaculate, by the way. Never rusted ever) I've the sheath. You're welcome to it. I've got an Aquatec T-Rex now.

Imported post

I was diving with a guy who was on an inspiration in October, and he'd been to the Red Sea the week before, and he'd found a Aladin Pro (an old grey one) at 60m which was obviously very bent. It also looked like it had been down there a long time as it had started to be populated by algae and so-on.

He did ask around whether anyone had lost one while he was there, but no record of anyone having done so.

Impressively it still worked and had 55% battery, and to prove it we used it on a dive that weekend (at which point he promptly bent it again!).

Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.