YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a second stage that requires a 1st stage with an IP or 90-140 psi.

What that in bar..? would my Apeks FSR be OK ?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta...I knew there would be a mathematical genius out there somewhere..:)

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Type this into google:

140psi in bar

It can do all sorts of things, conversions, maths etc..

Another under-appreciated google feature :)

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
To convert PSI to Bar divide by 14.5 (15 is not close enough - do it right first time everytime and you won't have any problems).

So, you need 6.20 - 9.65 bar setting.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
Its worth noting (as I have seen the two terms/measurements mixed incorrectly by DIR divers on this site) that there is a distinct difference between bars and atmospheres.

1 bar (10 metres of seawater) is equal to 14.5 psi, where an atmosphere (33ft depth of seawater) equals 14.7psi.
Call me Mr Pedantic if you will but we are talking physics that have a direct influence on a divers well-being, so its worth getting it right, right? Especially when we are talking mixed-gas diving, 'ball-park' figures just aren't good enough.

Regards,

Berko

PS; Sorry for going-on but I do this for a living and I feel every diver incident/fatality like a stab to the heart - most can be avoided and DIR isn't DIR enough. End of rant...

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Its worth noting (as I have seen the two terms/measurements mixed incorrectly by DIR divers on this site) that there is a distinct difference between bars and atmospheres.

1 bar (10 metres of seawater) is equal to 14.5 psi, where an atmosphere (33ft depth of seawater) equals 14.7psi.
Call me Mr Pedantic if you will but we are talking physics that have a direct influence on a divers well-being, so its worth getting it right, right? Especially when we are talking mixed-gas diving, 'ball-park' figures just aren't good enough.

Regards,

Berko

PS; Sorry for going-on but I do this for a living and I feel every diver incident/fatality like a stab to the heart - most can be avoided and DIR isn't DIR enough. End of rant...
How big is that horse your on then :)

Graham

Reactions: Nath

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Is it me or does that difference make no difference? If you're talking about a reg then you're talking 0. something difference which you wouldn't know about, and if you're talking depth then deco etc isn't going to be almost any different. So down off your horse please chief. :)

DIR is doing it a lot better than a lot of others. This coming from stroke of the year 2004. :D If all the other agencies out there were hitting anything like the stats for safety and discipline than they are they'd do fine.

All this said, I think we're going through our usual Easter time DIR bashing session, someone needs to go off on one or leave the boards and everyone will calm down a bit and realise it's not Satan, it's a way of diving. Each to their own. Not a criticism of you Mr B.

Digs.

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
How big is that horse your on then :)
About half a metre higher than that Greek thing:teeth:

Graham, I do genuinely wish I could waft a magic stick and make every tin-pot CCR and every deep trimix dive absolutely 100% safe. I think you really know where I'm 'coming from' - getting little bits of shit like the above right (and learning those bits of physics) makes for a more knowledgable and safer diver (if I can learn it ANY fcuk-wit can believe me). Knowledge is power - someone said, er, Delia Smith I think it was... and she knows her stuff!

Berko

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Trouble is that haldf a metre makes no difference. We effectively measure depth in 3 metre increments, and if it's close to the line then anyone with half a brain uses the next depth along. The difference is minimal, and cutting aggressive deco is becoming less and less fashionable now. Which is nice.

Getting the stuff above right is far less important than someone spending the day getting things like shit hot trim and buoyancy, or learning something more about deco gases etc.

That said, I can't think of the last time I used PSI for anything other than car tyres, and BAR for anything other than the amount of gas in my tins. We all measure depth in metres of seawater. It's a lot easier. So I think you are worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. :)

Digs.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
so digs can you tell me the ppo2 of a nitrox 32% in a muddy pit at 92m
with a dump valve that is having is way with you

Use psi bar ats , what ever you like , :teeth:

Think I missed your yd report on that outing

Or do I have the wrong digs

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I can tell you, but I am a bit confused as to whether you have the right person. I have had a little wobble in a 92m pit, but I didn't get deeper than 20-odd metres. I presume it's someone else, or you've heard the wrong story. Pluys my story doesn't involve a dump valve. It did involve me shitting my pants a bit, but it worked out ok.

Digs.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I can tell you, but I am a bit confused as to whether you have the right person. I have had a little wobble in a 92m pit, but I didn't get deeper than 20-odd metres. I presume it's someone else, or you've heard the wrong story. Pluys my story doesn't involve a dump valve. It did involve me shitting my pants a bit, but it worked out ok.

Digs.
shitting my pants, rings a bell i think i have the right digs , :teeth:

happy to hear it worked out ok for you

I have had a little wobble my self last sunday at dotty and that worked out ok to, :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Not sure mind, because there wasn't any 32% involved? Tell us a story, and we can see if it's the same story. And if it's not we might find out who it is, as I know of at least one other Digger :)

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Not sure mind, because there wasn't any 32% involved? Tell us a story, and we can see if it's the same story. And if it's not we might find out who it is, as I know of at least one other Digger :)

on the day im on about, one diver never made it home ,

·
14-9-09
3,169 Posts
so digs can you tell me the ppo2 of a nitrox 32% in a muddy pit at 92m
with a dump valve that is having is way with you

Use psi bar ats , what ever you like , :teeth:
Er, lets fink... if you multiply 23 Oh-2's by 92 pits, divide by the mudd then take away the number of cylinders in a twin-set... its 3.26 bar/47.27psi/3.21ATA/18.995Yen or 1/2 a bushell:)

A. Berk:redface:

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Er, lets fink... if you multiply 23 Oh-2's by 92 pits, divide by the mudd then take away the number of cylinders in a twin-set... its 3.26 bar/47.27psi/3.21ATA/18.995Yen or 1/2 a bushell:)

A. Berk:redface:
Isn't that 7.7 ATAs or is it 5.7? :embarassed:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts