2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
waterproof and floaty would be a bonus.

ta.

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Hi there,

The ICOM M33 is the one we always recommend at work.

I also recommend the Standard Horizon HX851E. The latter one is made by a lesser known company however it is one of the few H/H that is fully DSC capable, its all about budget.

ICOM = Floaty + Waterproof

Standard Horizon = Full DSC , Waterproof but keeps sinking if you drop it!!

hope this helps

Giles

Reactions: mala

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Icom or Standard Horizon are both decent makes. I've got a Standard Horizon HX280e on the RIB. Good battery and it holds it charge very well. Very solid lump of a radio as well, waterproof but I'm not sure it floats (it's on a lanyard on my lifejacket so not too bothered). I think the floaty model is about an extra 20 quid. If you go for a Standard Horizon model then watch the cheapo Ebay deals, the European versions have an "e" suffix, the Yank versions have an "s". IIRC it's not a huge difference though, charger and a few channel mappings I'd guess.

Plenty of cheapo handhelds about like Cobra but they don't have a reputation for being long lasting.

·
www.eastcornwalldivers.co .uk
220 Posts
I've got the Icom M31 - predecessor to the M33. Waterproof to about 1m (so no problem hosing off with the rest of my kit), rechargeable etc. Can be found second hand for less than £100 - this has always been my preference compared to a 'new' handset from another brand - in many cases handhelds get very little use as backups to main transceivers on boats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts