0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a .png file and how do convert it to a jpg or similar please

TIA

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
png = portable network graphics
It was created due to the alleged issues around copyright of the jpeg compression technology

It works and is used on a lot of websites.

Download the free paint.net ( PAINT.NET ... ) software and use file save as jpg.

HTH

Davie.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got PaintShop Pro 7 but it just goes all funny when I open it in that

·
Registered
298 Posts
PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is a bitmapped image format that employs lossless data compression. PNG was created to improve and replace the GIF format, as an image-file format not requiring a patent license. PNG is pronounced "ping" (/pɪŋ/ in IPA), but can be spoken "P-N-G" to avoid confusion with network tool ping.

PNG supports palette-based (palettes of 24-bit RGB colors) or greyscale or RGB images. PNG was designed for transfering images on the Internet, not professional graphics, and so does not support other color spaces (such as CMYK).

Hope that all makes sense! :D Cut and paste direct from Wikipedia!

I find an easy way to convert pictures to jpeg is to insert them into PowerPoint, then just right click and choose the option "Save as picture....". Then where you get the option "save as type:" just change the file type to JPEG.

Hope that works!

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
oooohhhh Odins gonna go nuts when he sees Eggberts been poached again. No pun intended.:)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh dear....I see someone else already had the dancing chicken. I feel absolutely terrible but I can reassure you (and the angry odin) that the chicken was stolen from somebody else entirely on a totally different website. How about a galloping moose? Does anybody already have that or do I have to spend even longer surfing websites to steal other peoples avatars?!

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Portable Network Graphic. It's like the product of an unholy union between a gif and a jpg. Most graphics programs will open and covert them.
Personally I'd liken PNG to being 'Enhanced GIF' as it offers many of the benefits of the GIF file format (ie. lossless and supports transparency) but also supports 24-bit colour depth (GIF is 8-bit only ie. 256 colours) and offers better compression than GIF. PNG has actually established itself as quite a popular image format amongst web designers due to its lossless nature and better support for high colour depth images...

The only downside to PNG is that it doesn't offer animation support (unlike GIF) but even that is being looked at with several standards being put forward to offer this. Personally I don't think it really needs it as the advent of Flash has all but killed off the use of animated GIFs on the web (well, apart from avatars on sites like YD, of course!) ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts