YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Don't feel blue, think pink!
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we are awaiting a few YD births, I thought I would relate this wee story as a cautionary tale. While idly browsing the poor selection of veg in our local Co-op, I overheard 2 young mums talking about their offspring (boring, boring, boring, but what else have they got to talk about, I suppose). One of them announced that her little boy, Beckham, had just had his first haircut (hold the front page!!) - Beckham? BECKHAM? What were they thinking of? Silly question, as they were obviously thinking of that ball-chasing cultural icon.

Oh, must dash. Didn't realise that was the time. We have to go and pick up Frosty's two little 'uns, Hans and Lotte. :embarassed:

PS If anyone out there has actually called their child Beckham, I do humbly apologise for causing any offence!!

Reactions: purple vonny

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
there was a news item recently about someone overhearing a parent calling out to her child:

"Ampersand! Ampersand"

When challenged, she admitted she didn't know anything about it, but it was such a lovely word.

I think it was Mark Davies on here who said he wouldn't be surprised if he had to deal with a youngster named "Chlamydia" before too long.

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
A diver 2 weeks ago at eyemouth with her group was called Deece, pronounced DC. I asked what it was short for... It was something her mum heard being shouted when she was pregnant and liked the sound of it....

·
2,614 Posts
looking for the Ampersand story I found these

Please, please, please, if your surname is Turner, do not call your child Paige.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
In Nov 05 Josie and I were Holidaying in Sunny (and Huricannie) Tenerife, and we met a local diver called Santi. This is Short for Santiago. Turns out the City is named after a guy, and not as I thought, the other way round.

I like that name, but Josie Does'nt :frown: hence our son is now called..... Cameron after a nice chap we used to now in Edinberg.

Dave C

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
I used to work with a guy called Howard Howard, imaginative parents or what.

Ian

·
2,614 Posts
In Nov 05 Josie and I were Holidaying in Sunny (and Huricannie) Tenerife, and we met a local diver called Santi. This is Short for Santiago. Turns out the City is named after a guy, and not as I thought, the other way round.
isn't it Spanish for Saint James? (Saint Iago)?

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of the professors at uni was called Willie Dick - a double whammy. I also used to work with a girl called Enez, pronounced Eenis. Guess what her nickname at school was, poor lassie?

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
A friend of mine once worked with a "John Thomas Shakeshaft" :D
We had a Nicholas Shakeshaft apply for a barristers' pupillage here last year. Great name, very Dickensian :)

And the lady at the NEC Dive Show who was selling She-Wees had the wonderful surname of Fountain.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Could have been Mark Davies or my police officer friend but I'm sure someone said they had dealings with a family who had named their daughter Latrine. Again, no idea what it meant, just thought it sounded nice :eek:mg:

Cheers/Nic

·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A few years ago I had a lot of plumbing trouble, and having found that rare creature, a reliable plumber (sorry plumbers!), I employed him on a fairly regular basis. His name was R Crook, which I thought was funny enough. One day, I asked him what the R stood for, expecting him to say Robert. He sheepishly informed me his full name was Robin Crook! I said his parents must have somehow known he was going to be a plumber.:teeth:

·
Evil! Like Black Play Doh
348 Posts
We had an apprentice work for us called Warren Organ! Think his parents must have called him it after a bet went tragically wrong.

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
really....

I had a colleague in the US called Randy Laycock :)

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Reactions: 861-218
1 - 20 of 20 Posts