YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently there have been some really fantastic pics of cave dives, together with some interesting trip reprts the caves look huge and makes the diver look like they are in space.

So yesterday while I was in the dive shop there was a DVD of some Florida caves playing which I had a look through, however these cave systems seemed to be very tight tunnels of rock (sorry can't find a better word) the lead diver just seemed to go on and on with nothing really to look at, it almost seemed quite a lonely way to dive.

So what is the appeal to cave diving, is it just that a relatively few people have been there.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
I saw a recent BBC2 programme on the Mexican chenotes, they looked awesome, what you are describing sounds much less appealing.

Matt

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Hmmm. Nope. Don't get it. I know what you mean, the caverns look impressive, and I would like to see them once, but rock after rock after rock doesn't do it for me. I dive to see things and I guess that is where the block is - the "challenge" doesn't mean alot to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think cave divers must be a different life form. The thought of going (dry) potholing fills me with terror, let alone (wet) cave diving.

When I read that chapter in "The Last Dive" about how a cave diver, knowing he had insufficient gas to get back, wrapped himself up in his line so that his body could be easily found, and then quietly died, I knew I didn't have what it took (whatever that is) and that fear would outweigh any possible pleasure.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
From the cave divers I have chatted to it's more of a means to an end- certainly the UK cave diving lot appear to be pot holers who use cave diving to push sumps and extend their knowledge of cave systems. I wouldn't fancy it. However I've done somve cavern diving and it's really good fun- lots of amazing underwater scenery and if you get a halocline it's really rather odd- like swimming thorough water that's just had lime juice added.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
I saw a recent BBC2 programme on the Mexican chenotes, they looked awesome
I think cave divers must be a different life form. The thought of going (dry) potholing fills me with terror, let alone (wet) cave diving......

...fear would outweigh any possible pleasure.
I am cavern diving the cenotes in Mexico in 6 weeks time.

I don't like dry caves, last time I walked into one I felt very uncomfortable, inner voice saying "crikey I hope this lot doesn't pick now to collapse"

Mexico could be interesting, in several different ways :D

I'm with Lou though, like to see stuff (wrecks or life), the crawling through stone tunnels bit holds little appeal.

Dave.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Having been out to Florida a couple of times and stayed with a caver mate and then doing cave courses, I would have to say it was a mixture of :

a) the challenge and overcoming it by planning etc - the feeling of accomplishment.
b) going where few have gone before (although I am sure what I did on the 2 courses and few dives after each course were mere "tourist dives" compared to what the big boys and girls get up to).
c) the caves are beautiful and amazing themsleves - being in them is a great thrill in itself (especially for those of us with A level Geog :))
d) the unknown
e) err, that's it...

But caving in the UK - no way; they are mad. Squeezing through holes smaller than a whippet's sphincter - no thank you. :eek:

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
You're making the mistake of looking at it from a diving point of view. It's a similar mindset to going up mountains. If you asked a climber what the appeal of driving yaks through the foothills of the Himalayas was you'd be missing the point. It's a similar situation in cave diving, diving isn't the point.

Open water divers are generally of a mindset of going to look at something. Cave diving is more about getting to a certain point in the same way as mountaineering, hill walking, etc.

Personally, I don't get wreck diving. I can walk round my local scrapyard at night with a torch without paying 40quid for the pleasure and get the same effect. I've been cave diving and caving for ten years and I'd still find cave diving far more interesting and far more challenging than open water diving. There are people on here that have been doing it a hell of a lot longer than me without ever having been in the sea.

Cheers,

Stuart

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
c) the caves are beautiful and amazing themsleves - being in them is a great thrill in itself (especially for those of us with A level Geog :))
Yes that is the impression I got before I saw the DVD yesterday

The calm feeling of tranquility.

dan
But you can get that feeling in warm blue water, watching the fishies

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
I am cavern diving the cenotes in Mexico in 6 weeks time.

I don't like dry caves, last time I walked into one I felt very uncomfortable, inner voice saying "crikey I hope this lot doesn't pick now to collapse"

Mexico could be interesting, in several different ways :D

I'm with Lou though, like to see stuff (wrecks or life), the crawling through stone tunnels bit holds little appeal.

Dave.
The proggy I saw didnt have much water life but the scenery was awesome, even squeezing through tiny holes to get to the next big opening made sense, it was something I thought I wouldnt enjoy but the dives looked absolutely out of this world. DanE made a good point too (the tranquility). Dave I hope you have a great time, I know a couple of guys who have gone and they really enjoyed it.

Matt

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you'd have to be mad to do that, though I have seen some photos of the Mexican, Floridian and French caves that would appeal.

Mal
Yes wasn't really thinking about caving, but like you Mal I have seend those wounderful pictures, so I just wondered really.

Stuart, I take your point- it's just being there.

G

·
You're making the mistake of looking at it from a diving point of view.
This is true. I came to cave diving through the open water route but have started to enjoy UK cave diving 'cos I love dry caving as well and the very wet bits are just an extension of that exploratory pastime.

Whatever the appeal, since last September I have made about 28 dives and only three of those have been in open water.

The thrill of emerging into a dry passageway after a sump is superb! Or is that just relief? :D

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Rock rock and more rock but I think the Mexico caves, the Cuba caves and the Minorca caves are amazing and beautiful.

Rock caves i just dint get. I got a buzz out of surviving the few cave dives i have done in the same way i get a buzz out of a deep air dive or plumbing a silly depth. Surviving something you fear makes life taste better.

If you don't understand this then your mind works differently so don't bother trying.

Ill be doing my cave course in Mexico in Jan Feb. After that ill no doubt have a crack at France. If its fun ill let you know but I am a total skeptic and you wouldn't get me in any significant cave system without a CCR for all the tea in etc etc.

The ONLY reason i am considering cave diving now is because i dive CCR. i think OC cave divers are certifiable.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
I tend toward the "rock" thing myself. However, it is an achievement. In fact its a hell of an achievement. If you want to see what makes you tick you need to push from time to time. I am very glad to be able to make cave dives. However, I readily admit that I prefer wrecks.
Take a look at this French guy's site and see some of the stuff on it. The main picture is Ressel (which I have dived) and is made up of several photos photoshopped together as the cavern is too large to light all at once. the diver in the picture is the photographer.
Index

The other aspect is having a cracking weekend with some good friends and wonderful scenery and fantastic food and wine. But hey that's just a bonus :D

Chris

G

·
i think OC cave divers are certifiable.
Why is that? Admittedly, with OC you won't have as much time on your hands but at least you know if its going wrong.

With indie sidemounted cylinders and proper gas management a fault is more of an annoyance than a peril.

BTW, I would use a rebreather but I have a wife, two kids and a mortgage so can't afford one. :)

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
The ONLY reason i am considering cave diving now is because i dive CCR. i think OC cave divers are certifiable...
The real benefit of CCR is you can get so much further in and deeper. Ironically therefore I think its far more dangerous :p

(Although I am nuts :D)

Chris

1 - 20 of 73 Posts