YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dubs & Diving!
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Staying in hisaronu/Ovacik and can't decide wether to take some gear......

Anything worth diving out there?

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
Not sure what part of Turkey you are going to (the areas you mention are unfamiliar to me), but the diving is fairly relaxed, plenty of topography, not teeming with sea life, but still barracuda, grouper occasional dolphin (if you are really lucky). Sea is warm in the summer about 25 degrees, not much in the way of current.. but very pleasant if you are not after anything too challenging; altohugh I have done a couple of dives that I rate very highly.

Not sure what sort of diving you usually do, but if I were you I'd pay the excess and take my gear!

If you need any more info just ask.

HTH

Pete:teeth:

·
Registered
666 Posts
I took my gear on a holiday to Olu Deniz last year. I booked to do two days and ended up cancelling the second.

I was extremely disappointed in the lack of anything interesting to see, be it coral or fish. I saw a Grouper on the second dive of the day, which I pointed out to my buddy as the Dive Guide missed it!

Don't know the area that you're going to but I hope that if you decide to take your gear that you have a better experience than me!

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
yep, went two years ago, did two dives with them they were top class! Im going back in August to do 5 days diving :teeth:
My mate Turgay is one of the Instructors. I haven't dived with them though.

I dived Olu Deniz from a yacht in 2004 (the picture in my profile is on that boat). The diving was cold (18 degrees in June) and not as teeming with life as some other areas, but the wals were nice and I did enjoy it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As Helen says one of our friends Turgay works for European dive centre in Fetihye which is the nearest large town to you.European Diving Centre – Red Sea Turkey Spain UK. The EDC will pick you up from your hotel.

You can expect cracking viz but not an amazing amount of life. They have some good dives top hat being one of them which has a good swim through.

There is cheaper dive operators in the area but I haven't used them.

Stu

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi
I did three dives with EDC in Fethiye (next door to Hisoranu) at Easter. They picked me up from the hotel in Olu Deniz, they seem friendly and well organised. Unfortunately due to the lack of tourists (it was just me!!) they were not taking out their boat and instead did 3 dives from a nearby bay. With this in mind it may be a little unfair to judge the quality of diving in that area but it was a bit of a moonscape with very little life on show. I'm a relatively new diver with thirty odd dives and the time spent underwater was good experience for me, but I would imagine a more experienced diver would find it a little dull. I cancelled the further two days I had booked as there was to be no boat and they were quick and efficient in refunding the money.

Best wishes
John

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I dived with EDC last summer and have nothing but the highest praise for them, especially Turgay. Very slick, professional outfit. However, the diving i found, dare i say it, a bit boring after the more challenging diving in the uk. A 35 metre dive in turkey was like a 6 metre training dive in capernwray

·
Dubs & Diving!
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 35 metre dive in turkey was like a 6 metre training dive in capernwray

Full of PADI n00bs kicking up the silt?? :eek:

Whats the water temp this time of year? Or to put it another way....

3mm shortie warm or drysuit....

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Learned to dive there

Another :thumbs_up: for EDC
They taught me to dive in '99 & I loved every minute!
I saw seahorses on my 3rd dive, & heard dolphins when I was there, but don't remember it as being teeming with life or colour......

You have to remember that I was on OW & AOW training, so really only in the training areas near Fethiyie. The viz was rather good, even with us
PADI n00bs kicking up the silt
I was staying in Hisaronu, and they picked me up daily.

Antalya has some good diving, with a few interesting wrecks....... but that's too far for you to travel!
(I do know a certain YD'er who has a holiday place near Antalya though!)

I have dived in a shortie in May in Turkey, about 19/20˚ if I remember right....... can't put my hands on my log book right now

·
Registered
118 Posts
just got back from Bodrum last week, water temp was around 20 C, instructors were wearing semi drys and dry suits with hoods and gloves, we were using 5mm suits with the option of a 5 mm shortie on top - took advantage of that - be rude not to!!
Best wishes
John

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dived with Carreta diving (Fethiye) last year and I'm going again in july. I had a great time but I'm not that experienced so some of you might not be that impressed. Small boat not that busy and the food was good for a dive boat. Very friendly crowd they are quite new so are trying hard to please reasonable prices too. The dives were varied, reef, wall, cavern not much wildlife as people have said but good vis a very relaxing, saw several large grouper, small sting ray, lots of small fish and a couple of moray eels, worth the effort I think.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Another :thumbs_up: for EDC
They taught me to dive in '99 & I loved every minute!
I saw seahorses on my 3rd dive, & heard dolphins when I was there, but don't remember it as being teeming with life or colour......

You have to remember that I was on OW & AOW training, so really only in the training areas near Fethiyie. The viz was rather good, even with us

I was staying in Hisaronu, and they picked me up daily.

Antalya has some good diving, with a few interesting wrecks....... but that's too far for you to travel!
(I do know a certain YD'er who has a holiday place near Antalya though!)

I have dived in a shortie in May in Turkey, about 19/20˚ if I remember right....... can't put my hands on my log book right now

Yep Chateux Chasey will be open in August :D

Hears how it looked in April

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re Turkey Diving

Hi I dived with European Dive Center in Icmeler good outfit but vowed never to dive over there again very plain and boring they tend to orientate round courses mooring in little coves it was the same thing day in day out 2 years x10days diving it was ok just to do something to pass the time.Give me metal and i`m happy lol.
Ps Best of luck.
Andy

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
I've only ever dived around Bodrum and it was alright. Worth doing if you're out that way but not worth going out there just to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts