YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
had a look at the mudoclines form the cliffs near shaldon and its seems a little green. not mudded out but not clear.

was 3 m near berry head on sat. and conditions the same

water is 8 degrees.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Apparently 7-8m further inshore on Sunday.
There was a big cloud of silt floating around the vicinity of the Broomhill after a certain elderly gentleman went for a walk around the wreck.

·
TTFN
1,757 Posts
the viz on the Aeolian Sky (yeah I know, not quite Lyme Bay but it's all the same stretch of sea) yesterday was about 1 puny metre, and pitch black with it too. I didn't bother going in for the second dive. 7 degrees at 29 metres.
It doesn't quite work like that - there is a world of difference between east and west of Portland on big tides.

Here's a nice easy rule of thumb to remember - If you must dive on or just after big spring tides then try and go west of the Bill.

I think it's slightly naughty of skippers to take divers east of the Bill on spring tides (double so when we have easterly winds).

Aeolian Sky will be good to go again on the weekend of 24/25th April.

I know I keep saying this on various threads but the vis people had along the Dorset coast last weekend is NO indication of what it will be like this weekend.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, we did the M2 yesterday and got about 2m at best. We were supposed to do the Salsette today but have canned that for the St. Dunstan.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
arr there be plankton. arr

bloom was in in the bay yesterday. peas soup down to 15m then 3m with a fuzzy bit

·
Registered
496 Posts
We had a dark 2-3m on the Pom yesterday - still a lot of silt in the water column. We did a second on Sawtooth around low water and had a very bright 10m. The water is slowly warming - we had 8C on both dives.

·
beware of imitations
790 Posts
Have just returned from Lyme Bay. Vis on Sidon yesterday was nil; groped around by torchlight staying <1m from buddy. Second dive on Baggy, closer in shore, was a complete contrast - 10m vis easily. Did Heroine and a scallop dive today, both fairly close in shore, and vis was again superb. We tried going out to the Ailsa Craig but there seems to be a definate line you cross as you go out, one side is nice black / blue clear water, the outer side is grey/green murk. All told an excellent weekends diving off Blue Turtle with Dougie. M.

·
Full Face Convert!
203 Posts
Moidart was 2-3m and pitch black at 34m. Sawtooth Ledges was 24m deep, no torch needed and 15m viz! What a contrasting set of dives they were!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts