YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Visited stoney to day got there about 8:30 after driving from London, taking a guy new to UK waters for a gentle intro.As we go down to the bus stop there are signs saying "reduced visability" or works of that effect.Well i'm thinking "duh" tell me something new but no as you go down towards the block house at 20m its like solid no vis.Not wanting to freak out my buddy we went down to the helicopter which was poor and even the strangrath was pretty bad.I can only assume its coming from the building works of the dive centre but why are they ruining the water surely this is there bread and butter.Has any one else got any info on this .

Regards,

MAL..

Oh and another grumble i go to get my usual bacon and egg butty (sorry "cob"!) and they don't do them no more but instead they do all these fancy frecken toasts and crossiants with these fruity pastes all over them whats the hells going on there.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

At this time of year? It's more likely to be down to the plankton in the water than anything else.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

don't think it's the building, has been fine over the several months/years the building has been going on. Was awful 2 weeks ago I think it's down to the algae bloom in the really hot weather.

don't know how long it'll take to go back to normal though.:)

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 23 2003,10:45)]At this time of year? It's more likely to be down to the plankton in the water than anything else.
You're not going to get plankton in Stoney. Silly lad!!!!

Peter

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Aug. 23 2003,18:20)]You're not going to get plankton in Stoney.
Why don't you get plankton in Stoney Peter?

Is there no life?

Adrian

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I think Peter was under the misaprehension that plantkon is only a marine organism.

There is freshwater plankton.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Yes I seem to remember seeing the low vis signs a couple of years ago and that was down to marine life enjoying the hot weather.
Considering how slowly they are building that dive centre I doubt they are messing the water up much.
And they got rid of the butties?!?!  Glad I don't dive there anymore!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ Aug. 23 2003,19:12)]I think Peter was under the misaprehension that plantkon is only a marine organism.

There is freshwater plankton.
Gavin

I did wonder if that was the case. But as I have never been to Stoney, I wondered if there was another reason.

I have heard that there is little life in Vobster due to an old nearby lime works. Lots of rotted leaves and a few lice of some kind.

Adrian

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Wouldn't it be algae? Incidentaly I just cleaned my freshwater fish tank and was as green as grass (which is brown form the hot weather) but then I'm colour blind so what!
With the hot weather if the water warms up (if possible at stoney) there is less oxygen wich in turn can increase algae levels. Maybe you need some cool weather and loads of rain to add some fresh water.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Guimaraens @ Aug. 24 2003,11:53)]Wouldn't it be algae?
Very likely;

Algal blooms, IIRC, are often temperature and nutrient related. Get just the right conditions and they multiply like crazy. Rabbits have nothing on them!

BTW, Algae are phytoplankton (plants) and small animals are zooplankton. Plankton being the term for both.

Adrian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts