YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Only Diving, No politics, Only Diving
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

I have been a cub scout, scout and venture scout and I've lost count of the number of nights I've been under canvas or some other modern material.

I now have got into diving and I was shocked by some divers I could mention seemingly hell bent on camping whenever a trip is organised in this country. I don't want to stop them as they seem to enjoy it but with all the gear we can lug around I wondered;

What's the appeal?​

Now my idea of 'camping' is 4 walls, central heating, hot and cold running staff and security. I appreciate we're all different and this planet would be a boring place if we were all the same but I do still wonder
What's the appeal?​

Can somebody convince me it's a good idea?

Adv (thanks) ance

Vg

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Cheap. And fun if it isn't raining.

Turbs and I love our 'Furtledrome' :)

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
50 quid in diesel, 50 quid for a boat... I don't need to shell out another 35 quid for an overpriced room in a scabby B&B as well.

Plus I quite like camping. I'd rather wake up looking out over the sea or the mountains than some cheap wallpaper.

Reactions: gobfish1

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Get a motorhome. Join your mates on campsite, with 4 walls, heating, hot and cold running water, a comfortable double bed or two. It is like camping, but without being in a tent. I like it. Especially when it is raining and I can sit in the lounge with a hot chocolate before bed.

Digs.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It's easier to fettle kit inbetween diving days.
It's easier to dry kit.
You get to sleep next to your car keeping all that lovely kit nice and safe.
You get to sleep in your own bed rather than in a bed previously occupied by god knows who doing god knows what.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Maria, Foxe and I spent three days down in Swanage at the beginning of the month. The campsite cost £66 for all three of us, all three nights (2 tents). The equivalent B&B would have been in the region of £300. So cost is one point. OK so 3 dives parking, boats, fuel, train (for Foxe) probably cost £500 but it is still quite a saving.

If you are in a B&B you have little option other than pub/pub and restaurant for the evening. Camping means that we get the BBQ out and sit around with some wine and/or gin. So not only is this far cheaper (2 bottles of gin, 5 bottles of wine plus meat = £85 for 3 nights 3 people: 3 nights in a pub with dinner for 3 people = £300) but I would rather sit around having a BBQ eating whatever I like rather than sitting in a pub eating what they want to serve (I am quite a fussy eater).

I still find it amazing that so many B&Bs are impervious to the idea of customer service. The place we stayed in Ilfracombe last year would only serve breakfast at 0800 (our boat was early!) and locked up until 1700. At least I can get in my tent whenever I want.

So I would far rather camp given the option.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
In Scotland you can wild camp just about anywhere for free. Combined with some excellent shore dives that are not weather dependent and don't require any entrance fees; bring enough air or a compressor and you can have a weekend away with guaranteed diving for very little money.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
love (wild) camping, love diving, but not together. i'm not keen on campsites at the best if times and after a day's dive, i want warmth and comfort :)

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
In Scotland you can wild camp just about anywhere for free. Combined with some excellent shore dives that are not weather dependent and don't require any entrance fees; bring enough air or a compressor and you can have a weekend away with guaranteed diving for very little money.
Yep, I've had some superb weeks of diving with no cost other than diesel. I think Scotland suffers badly from poor value accommodation in the tourist season particularly, 50 quid for someone's spare room doesn't strike me as a good deal. Without camping the cost of a week would be ridiculous and it all snowballs with the equally poor value pub food. Even without wild camping there are some superb campsites for a couple of quid a night.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Had a great weekend camping on Lundy recently. All the accommodation was booked up well in advance, so camping was our only option. It was a pain in the arse carrying all the diving and camping gear across London on the tube though!

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Maria, Foxe and I spent three days down in Swanage at the beginning of the month. The campsite cost £66 for all three of us, all three nights (2 tents). The equivalent B&B would have been in the region of £300. So cost is one point. OK so 3 dives parking, boats, fuel, train (for Foxe) probably cost £500 but it is still quite a saving.

If you are in a B&B you have little option other than pub/pub and restaurant for the evening. Camping means that we get the BBQ out and sit around with some wine and/or gin. So not only is this far cheaper (2 bottles of gin, 5 bottles of wine plus meat = £85 for 3 nights 3 people: 3 nights in a pub with dinner for 3 people = £300) but I would rather sit around having a BBQ eating whatever I like rather than sitting in a pub eating what they want to serve (I am quite a fussy eater).

I still find it amazing that so many B&Bs are impervious to the idea of customer service. The place we stayed in Ilfracombe last year would only serve breakfast at 0800 (our boat was early!) and locked up until 1700. At least I can get in my tent whenever I want.

So I would far rather camp given the option.

You dived the next day after drinking this lot ?????????? :) tut.

·
Not in the YD clique......
241 Posts
Pros :
cheaper
more flexible
more communal
Cons:
colder
more uncomfortable
having to walk across a muddy field at 6 in the morning to go for a piss.
you can hear every fooking noise.
putting tent up/down in rain/wind.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
When I camp with the family, it's on a site with electrical hook up so we can have the heater on, a kettle for a brew and mains lighting.

We also have a portable loo, so no tramping across muddy fields in the middle of the night for a piss.

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Get a motorhome. Join your mates on campsite, with 4 walls, heating, hot and cold running water, a comfortable double bed or two. It is like camping, but without being in a tent. I like it. Especially when it is raining and I can sit in the lounge with a hot chocolate before bed.

Digs.
What he said - but mine doesn't have an engine so we have to tow it...

Still fills me with smugness when we pull up on the site, and whilst the guys are holding on to their tents for dear life (always blows up on dive weekends!), me and my mate are gettign a frosty one out of the fridge! :)

·
All we wanted was a home... Manics
4,553 Posts
I love club trips and camping - everyone togther to prep and load the rhib - bbq and beers in the evenings, sitting around talking blx ... never better... unless it rains!!

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
We love camping even if our veeehicle does only 4mpg.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts