YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

When do you dive? - Warm, cold, abroad....let's be havin ya.

• Abroad only, occasional holiday diver

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abroad dive trips only

• Mix of summer UK and abroad diving

• UK only, summer

• UK only, all year round

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok, so are you on the board as a "real hardman" who only dives if there is a very real chance of death through exposure?, or are you just pretending?, and would stay in the hotel pool if the water drops below 25 degrees?

Come on, just when do we dive?

James  

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

I've gone for the Martini option -  Any time, any place, anywhere.  I quite like to dive all year round, too.

dan.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Wish i could afford to go abroad, just stuck in the Pacific....
However I mtr vis and about 12-degrees and 14 degrees is the norm..

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dive any time anywhere. Majority of my dives are local but try to make a 'dive holiday' once a year as a treat. Naturally around now conditions are rough so have less opportunity to dive than the summer.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>I dive throughout the season and have one foreign holiday per annum. Throughout the winter I try to dive the lakes to keep my skill set up to speed.

Juz

·
Founder Member of the 'Viet Taff'
1,523 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Dive all year, any conditions, 15 dives this year so far and all very cold. 6 days diving in February booked, better than having to go to IKEA

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Last year, all UK sea water dives , thanks to be in the right place at the right time as a commercial diver.

Will try and do lots of diving this year, but want to slow down a little and get the boat used instead.

Andy

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>All year round

In DecJanFeb you get a car park space at Stoney even if you arrive at 8 am

Dived in Guildenburgh (claypit) end of Dec to find 10m viz (normally 1m) could actually see things.....

Once a year dive abroad usually in the med, as part of family holiday. Becoming a bit of a joke with wife and daughter, as I find the dive centre and then the hotel/apartment

Various trips around UK South coast, Devon, Cornwall and all the way up to Anglesey

Target is 50 dives a year

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>All year round too. Try and dive as much as possible. Once or twice a year Me and the missus go on Holiday and now try and get dives in whilst we're there. I'm lucky as I live in Scotland with water never far away.

Most of my dive are now with YD as my club don't offer many dives to Ocean Divers which becomes frustrating.

Dave C

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

As often as possible, wherever, whenever.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Yep, any time, any place, and almost every week. But then I'm lucky. I live 5 minutes from the sea and our fiords provide plenty of sheltered sites in all weathers. And we have virtually no tide. The only time we can't dive is on the rare occasions when the fiords freeze over, which they did last week. The ice has broken now though, so I'll be diving tomorrow evening. The air temp is around minus five midday and the surface sea temp minus one but with plenty of thermal protection that's no problem, although it does tend to mean that we limit our winter dives to 35-45 mimutes.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I know Im soft, or older with more sense
definitely soft

i personally try to never miss an opportunity to dive! i dive in the UK all year round, and spent a year travelling when i dived whenever and wherever possible.

can't afford foreign dive holidays at the moment, but am hoping to do a LOT of diving on anglesey this summer, and i'm going to scapa in september  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Martini Option also.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Martini option. Most of my diving is march to November , as viz in wext wales not great ouside this. Get bored diving at the quaries during the winter, but try to keep my skills up.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Martini with a twist

The twist being I try to avoid puddle dives. If Stony were 1/2 an houre away I would probably go there and the same with Dotti in fact I would probably be happy with and hour for Dotti  
. My local puddles are grim and I will always try to get in the sea no mater how bad the viz is.

Best intentions and all that I may well be seen grubbing arround the BMW in Laybourn lakes in the next few weeks  

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Ok, I'll confess, I'm the one (so far) that selected 'abroad only'. I manage 3 or 4 weeks a year diving abroad and have only dived in the UK twice. In my defence, I only have one free day every two weeks and have no transport. But I do want to try UK diving.

Any assistance welcomed
, I want to be in the Martini gang by the end of the year

1 - 20 of 40 Posts