YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found my first bit of recoverable treasure* on sunday - in the middle of a channel nowhere near a wreck - do i have to put my claim through the reciever of wrecks or not? :confused: If so, what does the general process consist of and what are the chances I get it taken off me?

*To most people it may be a peice of junk but to me it's treasure ;) first thoughts are it's a training or salute round from a 4.5lb gun from the 1940s... :D

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
The answer is "yes" you do need to put it through. She is Reciever of WRECk, not Wrecks - it is nowt to do with wrecks, but with salvage of goods "lost" at sea.

Chances of it being taken off you - probably nil, I would have thought.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, can you point me in the direction of where I can find info out on the process please?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, for anyone else interested, i think I may have found the info:

Environmental - Receiver of Wreck

What's the etiquette to deleting posts once info has been gained? Leave or delete or talk for hours on how excited I am??!! ;):D

·
old time
6,658 Posts
“Receiver of Wreck”.

roles and responsibilities of the “Receiver of Wreck”.

processes incoming reports of wreck, in the interest of both salvor and owner.
Click here to download a report form

researching ownership, liaising with finder and owner , archaeologists and museums negotiating an appropriate salvage award for the finder, and recovering expenses incurred for valuation, storage and removal. .

disposal of Royal fish stranded ashore.

educational programme to educate sea-users about the law relating to wreck and the process of reporting wreck .

works with other organisations who are involved in matters of wreck, the Nautical Archaeology Society (NAS), the Joint Nautical Archaeology Policy Committee (JNAPC) and sports diving organisations such as PADI, BSAC and SAA .

:D Wot a swot :D ... Just revising this bit for my exams next week .... :wink:

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Tazzie,

it usually takes a year for a decision to be made but yours sounds like a similar one to a recent declaration I made and I was told I could keep it, on condition I took it to my local police station to have it examined and a 'free from explosives certificate' issued.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Must be working, the puctuation is much improved.

,,,, :D :D :D ,,,!!!!!

Ade ,,,, you wouldn't be able to start to think how much revision and learning this past year has taken up ,,, plus not to mention the other role I have had to put up with ,,,,,,, :D

However , have a dive club visiting us tonight with a added bonus :wink:

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
it usually takes a year for a decision to be made but yours sounds like a similar one to a recent declaration I made and I was told I could keep it, on condition I took it to my local police station to have it examined and a 'free from explosives certificate' issued.
It wasn't one of last years Big Brother contestants was it?.. I bet it was Grace. She threatened to blow up but never did.

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
Hi Tazzie

The answer is yes unfortunately.

Sophia Exelby is the receiver of wreck at the moment

Address
Maritime and Coastgaurd agency
Spring Place
105 Commercial Road
Southampton
SO15 1EG

You must contact the receiver of wreck giving locations of the find a description of the find and if possible a drawing to scale of the item.

The receiver will issue you with a droit number regarding the item and then look into the possible person or persons that owns the wreck for its safe return.

Remember if it is found on a wreck then it could possibly already belong to a dive club for example that has purchased the wreck.

There was a wrecks amnesty in 2002 allowing individuals to declare all there items without possible prosecution.

A typical letter

I am writing to you that the receiver of wreck has undertaken investigations into items reported in the above droits.

With the regard to droit numbers------- and ------- the receiver of wreck has not on this occasion, been successful in locating the current legal owners of the above.

Therefore, in accordance with section 240 of the Merchant Shipping act 1995, the receiver of wreck is able to offer you title to the items listed in lieu of a salvage award.

items of Droit No ----- and find

The Receiver of Wrecks responsibility for these items is now discharged and the above droit numbers are now officially closed. Please look after the items of British Maritime heritage

Hope this helps

Gerry

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
It wasn't one of last years Big Brother contestants was it?.. I bet it was Grace. She threatened to blow up but never did.
Sorry mate I didn't watch it, I hadn't pegged you as a fan though ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great many thanks all. I've not got a problem declaring it just didn't want to if I didn't have to (little busy at the mo!) If it means I might get some more information on it I'm all for it!

Steve - have you got any pics of yours you can email or post up? I'm still cleaning mine :D

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
"Yes" and "Only when spoken to"?

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
IIRC you have 28 days to declare your find, but i also read somewhere there is no time limit. You only have to show your intention to declare it within a reasonable time period.

I think within 28 days would be classed as reasonable though:)

·
my business is going under?
750 Posts
you are welcome

The typical letter by the way is from the receiver of wreck to you the finder.

Nothing to worry about, they will probably say keep it anyway but it gives you peace of mind knowing its declared.

Gerry

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Great many thanks all. I've not got a problem declaring it just didn't want to if I didn't have to (little busy at the mo!) If it means I might get some more information on it I'm all for it!

Steve - have you got any pics of yours you can email or post up? I'm still cleaning mine :D
I'll see if I can get one up meanwhile have a read of this SHONA - CLEANING BRASS... I cleaned a shell case up in the way described in the last paragraph.

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: 861-218

·
23,946 Posts
If Harrison Ford were real I Jones AND dead he would be turning in his grave!!! Is there anything we can do these days without the authorities sticking their bureaucratic noses in?

·
23,946 Posts
Having declared every bit of tat that i have collected from wrecks i have been allowed to keep it all up to know dont be shy speak to Sophia or Alison they dont bite.
Telephone them on 02380329474 and they will send you a form to fill out.
Yes, but what will they say about my hoard of pirate treasure ....... and booty ........... and doubloons????

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts