YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

we have a wide variaty of divers on the forum, just wondering what bad/funny/unusual  diving experiances you have had, most seasoned divers i talk to usually have at least ont incedent to talk about

will expand these later, had 1 where i got my leg caught fast on a wreck, had my entire life flash in front of me, another where i got caught up in someones dsmb line and ended up  missing 45 mins of deco, got a helicopter ride and a few hours in the pot

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

I was building a wall in a canal once when a Labrador landed on me.........................

True.
Hobby.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Trying to raise an Oyster growing structure made of plastic strips from a rocky bit of bottom using lifting bags. It was well stuck so big bags.
We had given up and were swimming across the site to the shot when it decided to "cooperate".

Polaris missile impersonations from 25m+

Lucky to get away with a few niggles in the neck.

Biggest cockup was also the longest dive I've done - 10hrs but thats something else  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

A load of us took the club RIB up to do a couple of drifters in Loch Linnhe. When we got to the second dive I launched my SMB. The drift took my SMB away at an angle and the thing decided to pop up, wait for it, right in front of the god-damn Corran Ferry. The ferry put it's reverse thrusters on pretty sharpish, I was down there with my buddy trying to dig holes in the sand because it sounded like we were about to be run over. My DO was in the RIB franticcly tugging on my SMB to get us up. I thought it was the line trapped on the ferries prop. The DO had to send another RIB to collect our divers that had nearly drifted to Oban by now. We swam back to the shore unbeknown that all this had been going on, we just knew that there was something going on.
Cue strong words said from DO, Harbour master, the other RIB all directed at me as my buddy had slinked away. I honestly didn't know there was so many choice phrases that mean "stupid C**t".

Peter

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Peter

Not diving but Windsurfing - many years ago i was trying to sail at Bournmouth in a very strong wind, with too big a sail and no where near enough ability.

After about an hour i finally got the sail up and was off like a silkworm missile on route to Kuwait. I was out of the watersport area in a blink and finally pilled in some way later.

Once i regained the surface i had a look around to see the Isle of White ferry bearing down on me. They had to break while i frantically paddled out of their way. To slink ashore and disapear into a distant pub.

Regards

Paul

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Most people have read all about my cock ups but the funniest to me is still my mobile phone ringing as I was decending the shot to the Stangarth. Good job the suit didnt leak that day.

Mind you, on the subject of under water vidio cameras.

Took it to America lasted two days and it jammed.

Got home had it fixed and took it to Gozo. Unfortunatly I forgot the charger and we couldnt find one that fitted so I didnt get to use it at all.

Took it to Lundy islend. Jumped in the water and atempted to film the basking sharks that were all around me. Unfortunatly I had forgoten to put a film in.

Took it to Egypt last week.

Filmed a free swiming Morey eel about 7ft long but I was too shallow for the red filter so the whole film came out red.

Next day took some great stuff but in the atempt to re wind the film to show my freinds, the camera jammed again and that was game over for the holiday.

Next day the boat was surrounded by a pod of about 100 leaping Spinner dolphins and later was right next to some bigger white dolphins. We saw about 10 blue spotted rays on the dive and puffer fish were in pacs of four.

I gues I was just not ment to vidio.

Mark Chase

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi

Another windsurfing one.

I'd just done the RYA course and went out and bought my own brand new board. Straight down the beach and off we go i thought.

So i'm there for about 2 hours trying to sail this board, the mistake i had made was learning on an Aircraft carrier size one then buying a frigate size one.

There are 3 quite tasty girls watching me at this. When i finally got going they gave me a round of applause and a lot of cheers.

That night out on the tiles young stud on the prowel first Pub i walk into - top totty in the corner are heard to say:-

"Isn't that the bloke who spent all day on the beach trying to get it up."

Ego down the pan.

Regards

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts