YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
They've been sighted around the Isle of Man since around the 17th now...
And there they're going to stay, with more joining them until a peak is reached for a four day frenzy of basker madness in the middle of June, which will then finish suddenly on the 21st. I hope.

·
-
120 Posts
There are heaps of them around the south east coast of Ireland so i would imagine there would be a few around Cornwall.
Maybe it has something to do with the weak value of the euro!! ;)

·
A VS Cash Cow
17,832 Posts
Spent 4 days in Newquay looking for them but saw nothing. Think
It's still a little early for them. Last year in June we had hundreds, I mean hundreds of them, around the boat.

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And there they're going to stay, with more joining them until a peak is reached for a four day frenzy of basker madness in the middle of June, which will then finish suddenly on the 21st. I hope.
I'm doing a boat handling course out of Swanage that weekend. Do you think there might be any there by then?
Note to self...pack a snorkle, wear a wetsuit.

There are heaps of them around the south east coast of Ireland so i would imagine there would be a few around Cornwall.
Maybe it has something to do with the weak value of the euro!! ;)
Maybe they're trying to steal your potatoes.

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spent 4 days in Newquay looking for them but saw nothing. Think
It's still a little early for them. Last year in June we had hundreds, I mean hundreds of them, around the boat.
We're thinking of the 5th and 6th June......I wonder where though.
IoM's a long way to go.

·
400 L
277 Posts
A group of us were out diving on Saturday, off the North coast of Donegal with Aquaholics. On the boat ride back, we came across five large Basking Sharks cruising back and forth, hoovering up plankton. Two of the guys got into the water with mask, fins and snorkels and just hung out on the surface. The sharks then came to them, as part of their zig-zag feeding pattern. One pasted within a couple of meters of the lads and the boat (engines off). Great spectical!

Neil

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
I have only heard of one spotted in Cornwall so far. It's been a funny year so far, plankton has arrived north of Newquay but there's little sign further south. The water was 13 degrees on Wednesday which will bring the Plankton in quickly, which should bring the Baskers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Dived the Rosehill last night [Whitsands Bay] and seen a good sized one, dorsal fin was maybe 0.75-1.00 metre abover the surface.

First of the year for me.

Kieran

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts

Don't forget their 'oliday to the Shetlands in July.

Janos

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Apparently there were 40 spotted in Falmouth Bay in the week and 30 out of Penzance a couple of days before. I didn't see any tonight though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We have them out swimming up the Minch of the East Coast of the Uists last weekend. Went out to dive/photograph and got stopped by fog could only see a few hundred meters. :( try again next week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts