YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Normally when I go diving it is with a local club and car keys are not a problem as there is always someone who stays on the shore.

Now that I am likly to go diving without anyone staying out what do you do with your car keys?
Mike are of the type with an immobiliser chip built in and a separate key phob for the alarm.

I thought about using the emergency plastic key and keeping it in a small otter box in my BCD. I can deadlock the car but oviously the alarm will be off. Or I can have the alarm adjusted so that it automatically arms itself and annoy other people with the alarm going off when I open the car!

The main keys would have to be left in the car however. Some form of metal container with a combination padlock would be ideal.

Has anyone found any good solutions to this problem apart from buying a crap second car that nobody would want to pinch  

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Small Otter box does for me - they're reliable enough to trust the real keys to

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

I dived in Capernwray with a key to a Nissan Terrano to about 10m in my drysuit leg pocket.  Didnt do it any harm at all
i forgot about it, honest!

Seriously, a small otter box is what i have seen most people use.  I dont drive, so i just have to look after the boat keys.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>or just have an old crappy car with keys which don't mind getting wet

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I have just put them in a small plastic bag, squeezed the air out and tied a knot in the top.  Stuck it in the pocket of my undersuit and thats it.

Daz

Have to confess I have done the same with **** and lighter and it also works  

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Imported post

Aye, otter box for me. Fits nicley into my waist band on the BCD, aint let me down yet!

"F**kin box, b**tard thing, how do I get the imobiliser off now I've smashed the window"!

Only jesting!

I too thought about that and the common thing is for everyone to leave their keys on the driver side tyre, under the arch.

Not being holmes and a little sceptical, (Not thinking divers were tea-leaves), that's the route I took. There are opportuniest in every social circle and plenty of non divers that also know the crack.

Be safe, keep yer keys in yer undercrackers!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Thanks. It seems the otterbox is the best way to go. I have just placed an order for the smallest one.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

What do I do with them? Stick them in the pocket of my drysuit whilst loading up and forget about them until I'm trying to get back into the car several hours later. Then I call out the AA cos the immobiliser key fob has congealed into a gluey toxic mass in said pocket. Then I call Citroen and with the echo of muffled laughter ringing in my mobile's earpiece order a(nother) replacement at £70 a pop.
As I have now run out of £70s, much amusement can be gained on the A259 of a weekend morn watching yours truly making his way 20 miles to the marina in full kit on a pogo stick - also very rusty for same strange unfathomable reason.
For those of you who haven't read my posts before, I'd like to re-iterate that I'm a twat and should under no circumstances be entrusted to look after car keys.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Best Bet

Get a Company Car (Nice Blue VW Bora 2L Sport), then like me dive HMS Hood with the keys in your drysuit pocket.

Rinse and clean on realising your mistake and get changed on the next service as being duff.

Spare key left in car, and alarm turned off within 5 min.

Normally now i leave mine in my phone case on the Rhib.

Sometimes in my undersuit pocket in a plastic bag.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

But the great thing about these modern key fobs with remote locking/unlocking is :-

I have one of those VW fold up keys, with a lock/unlock button on the fob.  Once I have everything out of the car, I can lock the car, put the key in the plastic bag and put it in the left tit pocket on my undersuit.

Then even if I have put my drysuit on, if some muppet has forgotten something (Usually me!) I can unlock the car by pushing my left breast and relock it after  

Daz

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hip pocket of undersuit.

It's great as I can press the remote whilst in the suit and it unlocks/locks still.

Good reason to try and keep dry! Bag it up and I see no reason why it shouldn't be okay - not exactly going to bend it.

Oh, and if your interested, Nokia 8210's can do 30m no problems

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Driftwood

Oh yes, i was once at 12m off Chesil Cove when my buddy recieved a call on his mobile which was in his undersuit brest pocket.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>A mate of Kate R and mine still has no idea to this day that her husband took her car for the day (well she knows that bit obviously) and that the keys did the staingarth in stoney in a semi dry's pocket. for weeks afterwards the car would lock and unlock it's self for fun and open all the windows when you least expect it. I believe it's calmed down a little now but 2 years on she still has no idea despite the entire club knowing

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

The main reason I asked is because next weekend I may be going to Wraysbury for a dive in a wetsuit

I am not mad (well maybe) but I am off to sharem next month and I have some new kit to try out before I go.
The (semi-dry) wetsuit is a 5mm mares thermic evolution which is a single piece with separate hood and a shortie which can be worn over the top to give 10mm. I am not expecting it to be warm but as Wraysbury is shallow a single dive should be fine.

·
The Voice of his (De)generation
1,418 Posts
Imported post

I jsut stick them in teh wee lunch bos that i keep my computers in and fire that into my bag on the boat and thats it - not complicated at all.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I use an aquapac which i got from 7dayshop.com for around 7 quid. They're rates to at least 30m (can't remember TBH, could be much more) and I've never had any problems whn when diving wet.

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

If I've got pasengers, I put the key on top of the rear left wheel, so that they can get into the car if anything happens to me, although that is probably the first place a tea-leaf would look. If I'm on my own, I just put the keys in my undersuit pocket (not even in a plastic bag). I've never had any problems. My drysuit is dry, as drysuits are supposed to be  

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Imported post

My wife has lost both our car keys. Its saving a fortune on petrol and we are getting very fit (if wet) on our bicycles. Not to mention the money that we are saving from not being able to go anywhere. The car is safe in our garage. Before that I would put the key in the breast pocket of my undersuit. That seems to be the last part to get wet! Best answer - go with someone else in their car!

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

If you're going to put them in you undersuit pocket, make sure you put them somewhere sensible after unlocking the car.  If you put them back in your pocket, somebody has to unload all the kit from the boot looking for them before you can go home.  Not that i've ever done that, but i know someone who has.  
        Yesterday,   in the dark,     car packed, ready to go,   NO KEYS.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Nov. 22 2003,16:12)]If I've got pasengers, I put the key on top of the rear left wheel, so that they can get into the car if anything happens to me, although that is probably the first place a tea-leaf would look. If I'm on my own, I just put the keys in my undersuit pocket (not even in a plastic bag). I've never had any problems. My drysuit is dry, as drysuits are supposed to be  
Hear, hear Mr G.
I've always left my keys hidden somewhere round-about the car. I'll make it clear pre-dive where they are incase the car's needed for that X-factor.

Peter

1 - 20 of 35 Posts