YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From experience of past dives where is your site you like to return over and over again?

For me it's a tiny rock outcrop size of a Tennis court some 80km off the Azores Islands in the mid Atlantic. the Formiga Islands are difficult to reach with much planning before hand but the life is fantastic. Because it's hard to reach and only a handful of divers go there it's unspoilt. This summer I'm planning to return for the third year in a row.

·
Diving in the sand
224 Posts
I guess my answer would have to be Jeddah (which is about 100 miles from Mecca!!!) In fact I'm off there tonight, cyclones permitting.
I also head for Cyprus and the "Zenobia" 3 or 4 times a year

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
For being easy to get to and accessible all year round, St Abbs.

Oh and Menorca, simply for the fact that I can persuade Mr Helen to get in the water and enjoy diving :)

Scapa next year though - ask me again then!

·
Swims with More Seals
2,037 Posts
Gozo - soon to include Malta. So I guess the "Maltese Isles"!!! And not just becuase they sound like chocolate.

K XX

·
Là á Bhlàir's math na Càirdean
884 Posts
it has to be plymouth, not through choice mind you. The club use Bovisand year in and year out so that trainees finish their drills for OD. Each year i keep saying that this will be my last trip there, however each year i go and each year I end up having a really great time.......but definately not going next year;)

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gozo - soon to include Malta. So I guess the "Maltese Isles"!!! And not just becuase they sound like chocolate.

K XX
Are the islanders 'Maltesers'?:teeth: I've been to Gozo twice and really enjoy it, need to go back.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I go back to the wrecks off Brighton.
'cos I can do that after work.

If I am travelling away why should I do the same again?
It's a very pessimistic attitude that says "Nothing else can be this good."

Although having done a trip to Finland I can see the draw of brackish Baltic waters with intact wooden wrecks.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
From experience of past dives where is your site you like to return over and over again?

For me it's a tiny rock outcrop size of a Tennis court some 80km off the Azores Islands in the mid Atlantic. the Formiga Islands are difficult to reach with much planning before hand but the life is fantastic. Because it's hard to reach and only a handful of divers go there it's unspoilt. This summer I'm planning to return for the third year in a row.

Any crayfish out there? :embarassed:

Bicheno, East Coast of Tas, only 190kms away, dived there for the first time in 6 years last weekend. No-take Marine Reserve, about 12-15 years old, the longest establisahed in Tas, on granite rock formations, fantastic scenery, canyons, walls, major swim throughs, visibility often reaching 35m, particularly nowish until Sept-Oct, loads of fishlife, fantastic invertebrates and in the past and certainly this last time, I have almost always seen something new.

There are sites with more spectacular above water scenery or bigger walls, better swim throughs but all in all, I don't think it's a place you'd tire of in a great hurry.

(Photos by James Parkinson of Tas Scuba Diving Club)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Scapa I've been 3 times thus far with 2 more trips booked.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Capernwray... Ah reread, it I thought it was dive sites you seem to return to again and again, not like to :D

J.

I'm sure you and several others on here will have a better suggestion once you've been to Galapagos :)

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts

K XX
Funnily enough, me too ;)

Ooh, and Dahab! :sun:

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Mexico gets my vote. It was my first dive abroad so it spoilt me a bit. Did majorca last year and it was boring beyond belief..

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
85 Posts
Loved Scapa hated the journey (15 hours on a coach) but would love to go back.
Always enjoy Plymouth very diver freindly.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts