YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hello All,

I'm flying back to the UK at the end of October specifically to get fitted for a new dry suit. The selction on the continent is not as good.

WHERE should I go for a good selection and a one stop shop for new suit and thermals etc etc.

I'm undecided as to which suit I want so a dive shop with a good selction would be good and that can do a tailored suit.

I'll be milling around the Midlands (Nottingham, Sheffield etc etc) and I'll travel to where's recommended.

Help would be greatly apprecaited as not living in the UK means I'm not upto date with where's good/bad.

Thanks.

Graham

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Robin Hood Watersports will do a tailor-made suit for you with various styles and materials to choose from, including a bomb-proof cordura.

They also do the best made undersuit that I have ever seen which incorporates an "intelligent" fabric which stores the heat given off your body early on and then gives it back as your temperature drops. Not tried it, so don't know if it works. A buddy is just waiting for hers to be delivered. When she's tried it, I'll let you know if it's any good.

She's paying in the region of £650 for suit and undersuit.

My suit is from Northern Diver. Not quite the Midlands but if you've got access to a car is easy to get to on the motorways. They do made-to-measure aswell and have various membrane or crushed neoprene styles to choose from. I've been perfectly happy with mine. Sell for around same price as above.

Both places have websites; a search on Google finds them easily.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Mark,

Much appreciated.....as I'm coming over solely to get a suit I'll try and bowl up to Northern Divers.....I'm waiting to get as many comments as possible and then I'll have to narrow it down to 2 or 3 places so I'm not bombing around in the car all weekend.

I'd love to hear how your friend gets on with her new gear when she's given it a go.

Many thanks.

Graham    

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

You do know the dive show (Dive 2003) in Birmingham is 15th and 16th November, Graham? I'd imagine you could get a good drysuit and undersuit much cheaper there. I bought a new drysuit at the London show this year at a bargain price. It was made to measure for someone else but fits me perfectly.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

John,

There's an idea.....I'd forgotten about that. Normally, the wife only lets me go to one a year (as I invariably end up spending too much) and that one is the Dusseldorf one in January.

Having thought about it, those dates are a bit tough for me....but thanks for the idea.

Graham

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

If your happy with off the peg suits, check out SDS watersports in Sheffield.  Good range of suits, makes and types.  Also reasonable prices and can be flexible especally if buying a few items.

If you want made to measure, then I would recomend Norther Diver near Wigan.  Under 2hrs by car from Loughborough.  Good range of suits at good prices, both off the peg and made to measure.  Also they have "bargin suits", these were made to measure suits which were rejected by the purchaser but have not been in the water (usually not quite the right size). I got a top of the range CNX 2mm crushed neoprene suit for £450, I then paid another £60 to have the boots, wrist and neck seals changed to my size.  So a brand new suit for £510 when a new made to measure would have cost £720.  Its a bit pot luck if they have something in your size, but worth a look.

Darren

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Graham,

If you're gonna be in Sheffield, then pop into SDS Watersports

http://www.sdswatersports.co.uk/

They do a number of different types of suits in stock including the DUI range which, frankly, are the Nadz! It's not the cheapest suit in the world (mine, sans undersuit, cost £741), but you'll be pushed to find anyone who's used/owns one with a bad word to say about them.

A little more out of the way, i.e. Weymouth, is the (if owners are to be believed, and I think they are) peerless O'Three range of suits. Long drag to get there, but again, the pre and after-sales service is hard to beat.

http://www.othree.co.uk/

Then you have Diver's Warehouse in Bradford, West Yorks, who manufacture the 'Otter' range of dry-bags and their own line of (included in the price of the suit) undersuits. Very good kit with a loyal user-base.

http://www.diverswarehouse.co.uk/

All the above mentioned do made-to-measure dry-bags. Failing that, you could a lot worse than take John Gulliver's advice and (if you're gonna be in the UK at the time) pop down to the Birmingham Dive Show and varily fill yer boots on choice and look at prices.

Hope this helps mate and good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Darren,

I just had a look at their website...did quite like the look of the Vortex....couldn't see a price though.....no doubt I'll need to save my pocket money for a few weeks.

Thanks for the help.

Graham  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I paid £310 for an Aquion Pro Titanium suit (minus valves and hood, which I already had) at LIDS!

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Kinetic

Before you make your mind up, check out Otter Drysuites at Divers Warehouse in Bradford.  Large selection of off the peg and good turn around for mtm.  

I went to Otter just because ND couldn't make me one within the time I had and I would recommend them now, very good service and they were cheaper.

Fiona

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I think I'll have a look at SDS when I'm over....looks like the one stop shop I need and has the Northern Diver and DUI dry bags to try. I'm intersted in the RoHo thermals too...may bowl out there aswell.

Sheffield is probably, location wise, one of the easier places to get as I'll be seeing my mum in Lincolnshire whilst I'm back. I'll have to see if she can "lend" me a few quid for the trip to SDS.

Thanks all.

Graham  

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Fiona,

Just saw your post.....thanks. I'm in no rush for mtm as they can post it over when done and I've got my old dry suit to keep me going.....but I'll certainly have a look on the website.

Regards.

Graham

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

I would have to highly recommend the Otter "Skin" drysuit with the "cuban heel" heavy duty boot option. I used their made to measure chart from the website, where you measure up based on a list of required measurements (needed help from the Missus) and received the gear by post a few weeks later.

Still well happy with the results two years later!

You could measure up in advance then pick up the result yourself.

C

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

Depends how much money you've got!

Got my otter codura MTM with all the trimmings for £500

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I was at go-dive in Derby last week and they are selling ex demo drysuits from £149.

Got to reccommend Otter tho my Narvic is the biz.

Safe diving,
Steve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts