YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

It's gonna be just me and Bethi for our summer hols. I wanna go diving but Bethi doesn't  want to do a "Dive holiday "(but has agreed to humour mum and do a bit), Anyone got any suggestions where we can go for a nice hols but also do some diving. It's gotta be wetsuit rather than drysuit.
Also somewhere safe where we wont get aload of harrassment
Jules

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

You'll love me or hate me for this - but Sharm is an ideal destination for both of you. Obviously diver friendly but with a modern relaxed atmosphere and a few shops 'n beaches to keep Bethi going. I plan to spend a week there at the end of the year for just the same reason. Eilat is the same, but I'm not too keen with the current climate, depends how you feel, there has never been any trouble there to my knowlege?

James  

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

How much are you planning to spend?  My parents keep going to Tobago.  My dad dives and my mum doesn't, they both seem to come back happy

dan.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Hiya!

If you looking for somewhere nearer to home why not try Gozo? I've there a couple of times and was very pleased with the diving...but as a place in general it is a get away from it type place with a relaxed pace...if you like that sort of thing. You would need to hire a car to make the most of the island though...

Not sure what qualification your daughter is Julia...if she is advanced then you could do the unaccompanied diving together???

If you want any more info send me a mail!

Cheers Scubachick  

p.s Let us know what you decide on!!!

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi Jules,
In 2001 I went to Crete with my sister and 3 year old niece, I got picked up and dropped off from our hotel daily, and Niamh and Sorcha enjoyed the beach or the pool while I was off diving!
Did a beautiful dive on Dia Island, volcanic reef of basalt slabs, there were lots of nudibranch, starfish, octopus, grouper & all the usual suspects, in fact lots to keep your camera busy!
It was very safe for two women together, the Greeks adored my very pale niece, great food and definitely shortie diving, we were there in July and the water was 25°.

I dived with Scuba Kreta a really professional outfit, they had the usual international mix of DM's and instructors, and I couldn't fault them.

Blanaid

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

How's about Kenya.

You could do a three day safari and then 4 days at Malindi or Mombassa (or vice versa or any combination).

Great stuff above and below the water.

Simon

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

Oops - missed the bit about hassle.

AVOID NAIOROBI!!!! from a crime/ hassle perspective

But rest of the palce is pretty cool.

You can get direct flights to both Mombassa and Malindi IIRC.

Simon

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Neilson Beachplus.  Do this in Turkey and you can make use of the nearby Neilson Dive resort and Bethi can do all the other watersports free of charge at the hotel.  It's good value if you like watersports, or tennis, or cycling etc etc.  Bodrum is just around the corner with the museum of underwater archeology at the castle there.  It is a great place.  Bodrum is stuffed with ancient history being the old city of Helicarnassus and was the site of one of the seven wonders of the world - The Mausoleum.

I really enjoyed it there and the diving was real easy - in fact if you read the Dive Gulet article in this months Dive magazine, most of the site they mentioned you can do out of Bodrum.

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

sounds good guys  keep the suggestion coming. One thing aabout Gozo though , is it thesame as malta where you have to be 14 or over to dive? Bethi is 13, Advanced open water..

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

Tim
just realised I have picked up the Neilson beach plus catalogue today, perhaps the girl in the travel agents wasnt such a muppet after all..looks goood.

anyone else a  parent looking to take kids on holiday end of July??? just athought we could do our own yd posse in turkey??
jules:D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

How about Menorca?  Only a couple of hours flying, warm water, decent vis and some cracking diving.  Depending on where you chose on the island dpends on how family orientated the area is.

You could give  Rec n Tec a shout in Cala'n Bosc.  Tell them Angus sent you!  

·
A true Galapagos Adventurer
608 Posts
Imported post

I agree with Scubachick, Gozo is a gr8 diving location, 3 hours away and loads of diving sites. As her other half we had a gr8 time and it certainly gave us confidence diving without a guide. We hired tanks and weights from Frankies, very friendly and helpful, gave us the best locations to dive each day according to the weather. If you are worried about regulations then email a couple of dive centers and ask, it won't hurt and you won't find out until you ask.

Gozo, gr8, but keep it quiet.

Gary.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Jules,

I'm taking mine to Malta (Cirkewwa - right next to Gozo ferry) first week of August. If you end up in the vicinity I'll buddy you!

Regarding age limits, I asked last year if my 10 year old daughter would be able to do a couple of try dives and they said it would be fine. I think I recall them mentioning an age limit of 12 to dive "properly". If you like I can contact the owner of Paradise Bay Diving and ask them?

All the best,

Ian

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

yes ian , do ask them,whats the water temp out there? Is it wetsuit? have you been there before? I will pm my number so you can call me for a natter about it.
Also any idea of price?

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

Tim
Found the turkish resort you mentioned , it looks fab but perhaps a little pricey, i think at 13 bethi will be adult price so it's 1500 each for a fortnight but that is nearly full board. Quite like the idea of learning to sail and doing some more water skiiing though...
Difficult choices...

jules

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Jules,

have emailed them, they are usually very quick to respond so should hear in the morning.

Water temp at the end of last September was 24 Deg. I used a 5mm wetsuit but could have used a shortie, but didn't take the shortie as I knew I would be night diving and didn't want any surprise scrapings
. July and August should be a degree or two warmer. This will be my third time diving there, I love it. I have some photos here of my trip last year.

Regarding price, I've booked before with TV Travel Shop. They are usually very good. You can also call them with your needs and they will do their best to accommodate you. I've paid just about £1000 for the 3 of us, that's half board. Two people should work out cheaper I would think.

Just got your pm, will call you as soon as I hear from Malta.

All the best,

Ian

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Jules,

The Neilson stuff isn't cheap but holidays of this type aren't.  They are a lot cheaper tho than Mark Warner hols.  1500 squid each sounds a lot tho.  I would see if they can do a deal as for 3 grand you could do a seriously cool hol around the other side of the world.

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Imported post

Tim
That's catalogue price... I will keep looking around and still open to any ideas....
jules

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Julia
Not sure what type of holiday you looking for but I can reccomend the Azores. The islands are stuning and there is good diving. It is more of a cultural holiday rather than beaching it. The islands are very green and the water being in mid Atlantic are very clear. For non divers there is whale watching for example.
Been to Gozo and enjoyed it immensely and want to go back this summer. Other than diving I can not think of what else to do though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts