YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my last dive i had to bail out at depth to open circuit,not a big issue but if it can be made easy why not !
my buddy has a bov and tells me they are the dogs tatties.
but his one does not hold a negative unless he hold`s in mouth not good!
a german design and bad connectors to loop.
i`ve heard of one called Gollem for the inspiration,but AP are bringing one out at the end of the year.
i`m after some pointers from people who have bov`s and how they preform at depth prices who supplies.
also i`ve seen guys plug in ap connectors( like the ones on the auto air) to different mixes to bov`s,do you have regs on the stages also in case the bov fails.

all the best. Steve Tunstall

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
solodiver2001 said:
but AP are bringing one out at the end of the year.
Steve Tunstall
Same advice here as you were given when you started diving "Don't hold your breath"

Steve

·
Technical caver
813 Posts
but his one does not hold a negative unless he hold`s in mouth not good! a german design and bad connectors to loop.
I have one of the aforementioned "German ones" true the negative is a small problem, but it works well on the positive easy to attach and works well in the water.

Andrew

·
Banned
246 Posts
after my last dive i had to bail out at depth to open circuit,not a big issue but if it can be made easy why not !
Why did you have to bail out ?

Why?

i`m after some pointers from people who have bov`s and how they preform at depth prices who supplies.
also i`ve seen guys plug in ap connectors( like the ones on the auto air) to different mixes to bov`s,do you have regs on the stages also in case the bov fails.
:) Have you tried plugging an auto air in at depth? Thats what the AP connectors are sometimes not easy on dry land with gas turned on!! Have a go at 20m or even deeper?
What do you have plumed into the BOV? Bottom gas deco gas?Why not swap to a reg! Messing with AP connectors to get that breath of the right gas?
Not for me I don't think!
Or am I missing something ?
So you plum in a mix to the BOV to do 90m+ with a nice strong mix say 6/72 you do the dive get to deco 6m get a co2 hit at the end of the dive !You have been on o2 for a bit then you get a co2 hit you turn the BOV on !Whats up with a reg the mix isn't going to do you any good at 6m threw the BOV is it? a reg with o2 is what I would want or a reg with air!
Or is it all about looking at other divers using fancy bits of kit and wanting then but not knowing why you want them?

Reactions: taylojonyd

·
Technical caver
813 Posts
There are always scenarios were the BOV is not going to help, deep deep diving :) were you need multiple bail out mixes for each level. In my case cave diving within the not so deep level (but over distance) the BOV gives you the ability to sort out a problem when you bail of the loop and receive a few sanity breathes. You can then stabilise the loop and go back on to it or switch to a bail out independent cylinder.

BOV are like many areas of diving and life people take a view based on there own experience/feelings and give advise based on that. For me not a shiny must have toy but some thing I would not dive with out.

Andrew.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
There are three units which can hold Neg test. The KISS the Golum and the Divematics.

The New kiss has a Mares reg on it and is better than the old Paragon version. Adapters are available for about £60 to make it fit a Inspo without messing with the hoses.

A KISS will set you back about £500 and a Golum about £600 allowing for the import duty adapters VAT etc. The Davematics Golum and V4tec are fantastic to breath the KISS less so but its adequate unless you going seriously deep. KISS is small light and compact The rest are big and heavy but I don't notice this problem in the water.

The V4tec wont hold neg but its an excellent BOV and does the positive no problem.

The AP BOV has been rumored but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to come out, or on it being cheep.

I have a Golum and I have had a KISS and a V4tec. Both of which are up for sale but they are being tried out, as we speak.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
YBOD and loving it
110 Posts
but his one does not hold a negative unless he hold`s in mouth not good!
a german design and bad connectors to loop.
i`ve heard of one called Gollem for the inspiration,but AP are bringing one out at the end of the year.

all the best. Steve Tunstall
I have the Divematics BOV with a poseidon cyclon attached.
For me, it was between that and the Golem, and the divematics was cheaper.

I posted a couple of pictures of it on the following:
Which BOV? - Rebreather World Forums

Cheers, Paul

·
Banned
246 Posts
There are always scenarios were the BOV is not going to help, deep deep diving :) were you need multiple bail out mixes for each level. In my case cave diving within the not so deep level (but over distance) the BOV gives you the ability to sort out a problem when you bail of the loop and receive a few sanity breathes. You can then stabilise the loop and go back on to it or switch to a bail out independent cylinder.

BOV are like many areas of diving and life people take a view based on there own experience/feelings and give advise based on that. For me not a shiny must have toy but some thing I would not dive with out.

Andrew.
So are YOU saying that a BOV is only any good for AIR/O2 Rebreather diving?

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
:) Have you tried plugging an auto air in at depth? Thats what the AP connectors are sometimes not easy on dry land with gas turned on!! Have a go at 20m or even deeper?
What do you have plumed into the BOV? Bottom gas deco gas?Why not swap to a reg! Messing with AP connectors to get that breath of the right gas?
Not for me I don't think!
Or am I missing something ?
I agree entirely with this. My BOV is for sanity breaths only.

Ada said:
So you plum in a mix to the BOV to do 90m+ with a nice strong mix say 6/72 you do the dive get to deco 6m get a co2 hit at the end of the dive !You have been on o2 for a bit then you get a co2 hit you turn the BOV on !Whats up with a reg the mix isn't going to do you any good at 6m threw the BOV is it? a reg with o2 is what I would want or a reg with air!
But this is why 6/72 is a crap dil. Why would you use it for 90m? If you were on 12/72 then you'd be ok at 90m and 6m.

Janos

·
Banned
246 Posts
No
Andrew.
Well that's not very helpful! :rolleyes:

So how do you use it?

If you use it with mix? How do you configure it for bottom gas/deco gas?

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I agree entirely with this. My BOV is for sanity breaths only.
Hence it needs to be on the deepest mix, which is the DIL. Once you are sane again you go for the reg on the bailout tank. I wouldn't want a connector on the BOV as that involves decisions at just the point when you don't need decisions. Low Oxygen alarms and I can just swap a reg but it's CO2 that frightens me.

I'll be interested to see the APD offering when it arrives. My 'Bob' version will hold pos and neg but not while you are switching so I can do a pos by using the injectors but a neg is never very satisfactory as most of it goes away as I snap the loop over to closed.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
I'll be interested to see the APD offering when it arrives. My 'Bob' version will hold pos and neg but not while you are switching so I can do a pos by using the injectors but a neg is never very satisfactory as most of it goes away as I snap the loop over to closed.
I'm confuzzled. Do you mean as you switch it over from CC to OC it lets air in through somewhere other than the mouthpiece?

Janos

·
Banned
246 Posts
Hence it needs to be on the deepest mix, which is the DIL. Once you are sane again you go for the reg on the bailout tank. I wouldn't want a connector on the BOV as that involves decisions at just the point when you don't need decisions. Low Oxygen alarms and I can just swap a reg but it's CO2 that frightens me.
Why cant you press a button and get fresh gas? Instead of twisting a knob? Then go on to a reg?
Press the correct gas button for the depth or twist knob for 1 mix that may/may not be ok for that part of the dive?

Yes you could still press a button and have a BOV but why? Just more kit to go wrong

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I'm confuzzled. Do you mean as you switch it over from CC to OC it lets air in through somewhere other than the mouthpiece?
It seals at the two limits but connects both when part way as it turns. The nice flapper valves on the Dracor DV bit are designed to dump over pressure but were never designed to hold negative so they flow both times. If it sealed one before it opened the other it wouldn't be a problem.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Why cant you press a button and get fresh gas? Instead of twisting a knob? Then go on to a reg?
Press the correct gas button for the depth or twist knob for 1 mix that may/may not be ok for that part of the dive?

Yes you could still press a button and have a BOV but why? Just more kit to go wrong
Press what button? I can't see how you can press a button and guarantee fresh gas? Also how can you guarantee you will be pressing the right button on a CO2 hit?

If you choose a sensible dil then it will be breathable at pretty much all stage of the dive, or are you talking stupidly deep diving (150m stuff) here?

Janos

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
It seals at the two limits but connects both when part way as it turns. The nice flapper valves on the Dracor DV bit are designed to dump over pressure but were never designed to hold negative so they flow both times. If it sealed one before it opened the other it wouldn't be a problem.
Funny. It's the same with the KISS BOV. If you turn the know halfway you are half on the loop and half OC. However it's really easy to get a negative.

Are you sure the Dacor DV is not knackered? I would expect any DV (not just one used on a BOV) to pass the "suck test" (ie connect to a turned off tank and suck - you should not get any gas).

Janos

·
Banned
246 Posts
Press what button? I can't see how you can press a button and guarantee fresh gas? Also how can you guarantee you will be pressing the right button on a CO2 hit?

If you choose a sensible dil then it will be breathable at pretty much all stage of the dive, or are you talking stupidly deep diving (150m stuff) here?

Janos
Press the ADV fresh bottom gas! {if you have one!}
Press the man add dil button fresh gas! {depending what you have plumed in}
Have 2 man add dil buttons sorted 3 buttons now you have gas for every depth
So no shallow or deep!
If you can twist a knob you can press a button!

Also how can you guarantee you will be pressing the right button on a CO2 hit?
Thats knowing and using the same kit! Could you twist a knob when having a co2hit?

What is stupidly deep to you may not be to others! You could get a co2 hit on the swim back to the boat and have 10/50 plumed in the BOV or a weaker mix Now a twist of a knob isn't going to help is it?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts

Coz your still on loop pumping C02 into the loop and rebreathing it. Unless your going Open loop which at 70m on the 100bar of dill i have left in my 3ltr is a daft thing to do.

Going OC or BOV ensures fresh gas with every breath and maximim eradication of Co2

Having the BOV plumbed into a 250bar off board 7ltr or 10ltr cylinder meens i have no issues with reg swapping till I hit 21m and have hopfulley returned to normal breathing patern.

A BOV is the easiest most low stress and most effective way of handling a C02 hit. QED its the best.

WHen i got a CCR high or low PP02 scared me. Now it dosent bother me at all its easy to deal with manage and monitor. The bogyman for me on CCR is C02.

ATB

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 24 Posts