YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having drowned my dear old olympus in Chuuk the insurance people have offered the following:
Canon Powershot S90
Fuji Finepix F80
Olympus Tough 8010

All with housing
So - which one and what features are important,underwater modes, manual white balance, RAW (whatever that is)optical zoom?

If non of these what would you suggest price range £550 ish
Be gentle
oh yea - whats histogram display?
and thanks

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Histogram shows all of your colours and exposiure levels in a series of peeks and troughs. It take quite a bit of understanding and if you understand it, It is a good aid for taking the prefect picture.
I only use mine in Lightroom edditing.

Reactions: Kev W

·
Registered
165 Posts
Am suprised your eyesight is still good enough to look through a lens....lmao Take it easy Kev Lad.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Yes, can you as them if you can pay the extra and upgrade to a G11?
Doesn't the G11 have its own problems unnawata? I can't specifically recall but I seem to vaguely remember something about that.

The point of a "like with like" exchange for the drowned system is that the Insurance companies, like as not, get a better price than we, the unwashed general public. They're unlikely, probably by constraint of trade aka "cosy deal", from telling us what "their" price is so the chance of them coming to the party in that regard are arguably less than zero.

Reactions: Kev W

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies, another question can you fix an offboard strobe to the S90?

Thanks Woof lad, are you still gettin wet?

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, another question can you fix an offboard strobe to the S90?
Fibre optic you can, not sure about TTL support, proably not in the canon housing but it should work in an Ike housing which would cost more.

·
Nauticam UK
788 Posts
Get an INON strobe (or some new Sea and Sea strobes i believe) and you have STTL which uses fiber optics to sync the strobe with the cameras internal flash. Very handy!

·
Sort of member - perhaps, possibly, maybe
3,276 Posts
Does anyone want to do a "paper" on the pros and cons of TTL (however called) in this digital age versus analogue?

Thought not.

AIUI manual strobes are handled much more easily in a digital context, whereas TTL was very desirable in analogue mode. I know that I thought it was.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Does anyone want to do a "paper" on the pros and cons of TTL (however called) in this digital age versus analogue?

Thought not.

AIUI manual strobes are handled much more easily in a digital context, whereas TTL was very desirable in analogue mode. I know that I thought it was.
In my experience, TTL only really works well for macro stuff - for wide angle wreck photography, it's waste of time.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The strobe i have and want to pair up is a sea & sea YS25 auto.

·
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you didn't spend all ye money on fancy dive trips, you could afford a propper camera :D

Go on how did you flood it?
probably by lettin water in,

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yes you can fit an offboard strobe to the s90 but you need the Ikelite housing which has a tray to hold the strobe. I use an Ikelite 125 from my DSLR set up and fire it (slave) from the onboard camera flash via an EVA controller.
You can't do TTL on the S90

1 - 17 of 17 Posts