YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

As anyone been to Sharm recently that can advise on which currency to take?
Thomas Cook have advised to take US$ and travellers cheques!
Explorers dive have advised to take plastic and just use the cash dispensers out their , stating that they no longer like US$
Others have advised to take  Egyptian pounds !
Confused  

thanks for any feedback
Steve

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Personally I would take some Egyptian punds (a couple of hundred) enough Dollar travellers cheques to pay for diving (if you are paying for that locally and they accept them) and then just use ATMs to get E£ on the street.

If you are paying for your diving locally then I would cheque their prefered payment, cos last time I took $travellers cheques and found out the centre didn't take them so I had to get $2300 cashed into E£ and that was quite a wad to be walking around with on the last day. If they don't take cheques then I would bring $'s to pay for the diving.

Hope this helps.

Conor

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Most places were advertising cost in euro's. But they take everything. We had a shock when the dive center said they only took cash. especialy as the bill was over £500. Check the resturants too as some only take cash.

Exchange rate was 10.7 to the UK£ last week. Do not change money at the airport.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

I'm going to sharm in a couple of weeks, i've been advised to take egyptian pounds for general stuff and dollars to pay for extra diving trips.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Most places take US$, I bought some on Saturday because the exchange rate is so good, £1 = $1.73 and is probably going to be even better.

Lots of the dive boats do their pricing in US$ so you get more for you money.

Fiona

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Don't get Egyptian pounds here - you'll get a much better rate over there, where they're desparate for hard currency.

Take Euros, dollars or pounds - they take everything.  I tend to take enough euros for the visa and the first night's meal etc and then just use the cashpoints to draw cash as I need it.

Mark, was that 10.7£E to 1 £GBP?!  That's good - it was 7:1 last year!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

This was done not long ago..  Credit card (and pin number) for the APM's and Egyptian pounds is all you need..  If you take £, $, or € you will need to change it to local money...  Stick the card in the hole in the wall and bingo..........

Sean

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Imported post

We went to Dahab a couple of months ago.  Took a couple of hundred Egyptian pounds, and plastic.  Much better exchange rate over there (E£10.3=£1), plenty of ATMs, and paid the dive centre using the card.

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Imported post

When I went out in Nov, I paid for my visa at the airport in sterling then changed some at the HSBC in sharm and got a good rate, used egyptian ponds for food, and paid for everything else in sterling.
Simon A

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys
How much is an Egyptian pound worth compared to Stirling?
I prusume if you use the cash dispensers out there you receive Egyptian money!
Do they take switch?
Do you get hefty bank charges?
Thanks/Steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (torbaydiver @ Jan. 09 2004,11:53)]Thanks guys
How much is an Egyptian pound worth compared to Stirling?
I prusume if you use the cash dispensers out there you receive Egyptian money!
Do they take switch?
Do you get hefty bank charges?
Thanks/Steve
10.7LE Egyption Pound to £1.0 Sterling.

One shop was doing 11LE -£1 but I missed that.

I was charged £5.00 for getting cash from my credit card
at the Hilton Hotel.

Cash dispensers obviously dispence Egyption. Swithc wasent that common Visa was best. (My master card was turned down twice)

Have a great trip.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
959 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Best advice is check with the dive centre.  I was caught out in Marsa where the Euro is king and no cards taken or cash machine.  I had dollars which they first converted to LE and then Euro, the exchange rates very much in their favour!  In Sharm i just go to the cashpoint with a cashcard not a credit card.  Charges are just exchange rate commision rather than commision and cash advance fees.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts