• ALADDIN?

Votes: 58 18.8%
  • Other - Please state which?

Votes: 75 24.4%

Which Dive Computer?

53958 Views 168 Replies 94 Participants Last post by  sherskinjournal
Imported post

HI

I have had a suunto stinger and want to upgrade to something that is a little "more", I still want it to show the time when asked but want a computer that has more applications for use as my diving experience increases. I do like air integrated computers ( vytec and aladin air z 02 ) but the vr2 has a alot more on offer in the later stages of diving.
  Anyway does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
james
81 - 100 of 169 Posts
I got the vyper when i first started, and now i'm wishing i had a vytec for the gas switching. Either the Vyper or the vytec are excellent, i'd say not to bother with the remote air transmitter though if you do get a vytec.

With the diving i'm moving into i'd like a vytec, but dont see the point of getting one when i want to do trimix noext year, so i'm saving my pennies up for a VR3.

Tim :)
I started off with a Vyper, which was great for a beginner, and moving on to Nitrox diving - I now have a VR3, which I use all the time as my main computer for Air, Nitrox, Trimix and soon CCR diving. I still use the Vyper, but only in guage mode as a back up and as a data-logger for my e-log!

The VR3 is a wonderful piece of kit, which, once you work out how to use it, is capable of dealing with everything I've ever thrown at it. It does cost a pretty penny though...
My first choice would be a Vytec but if your not sure that you'll need all the functionality then a Vyper is an excellent alternative. Also, if you are considering integration with a transmitter then the Vytec is a good choice, it is more flexible in so far as you don't have to make your mind up on a model now as the transmitter can be added later and it can just be easily set up. Some other manufacturers need you to have a different model that is more expensive.

The Stinger is a good warmwater computer but personally I don't find it very good in UK waters, small and hard to read in restricted viz.
narkedat50 said:
Hi Hawkeye

The good thing about forums is will get lots of opinions, the bad thing is trying to decide - not which one is wrong, but which one is right "for you."

James
Absoutly!!

Indeed the wet contacts on the old Suunto and the aladin are a pain in the but and all prase to Suunto for dumping them!

I dont Beleive I said the Vytek was a bad computer. If my next comp was not going to be a VR3 I would buy a Vytek!

As far as i am awair the only computer that allows for propper Deep Stops is the VR3. Suunto's Dont Do Deep Stops period. The Smart Seris Aladins have there Level stop facility which may or may not kick in depending on your profile and which of the 5 levels you set.

Suunto's DO NOT display a set stop depth! They continusaly calculate a deco range between a floor depth and a ceiling depth! They will tell yoy whether you are below the deco floor, above the floor but below the ceiling depth or at the ceiling.

That's absoutly no problem provided you plan your stop depts and stick to your plan!

My only concern is that there are divers out there who put blind fath in there computers and if you do that with a Suunto you get NO ALARMS untill you are in my humbel opinion way to shallow.

If this means in your opinion Mr. 50 that i am 'a prick and posting Shit'

Well adult life goes on.

Cheers

Paul.
See less See more
Get the Vytec

It did me up untill I got into deep deep (50m+) and then I got a VR3. I used it on Trimix dives with mix where the HE reduced the deco on standard air / Nitrox and added deep stops to deel with the helium. Apart from being 5 -10mins slower out of the water than the VR3 it worked fine. I ran it air 32% and 80% and used it with 21/25 loads of times.

The Vytec lacks proper dive planning softwhere but if you do get one contact me and I will help you out with a program that I found mimics the profile whilst adding deep stops if its set the right way.

I have broken two Vytecs so far and Sunnto no quible sent me new ones. Soooo top class back up as well.

ATB

Mark Chase
Mark Chase said:
Get the Vytec

The Vytec lacks proper dive planning softwhere but if you do get one contact me and I will help you out with a program that I found mimics the profile whilst adding deep stops if its set the right way.

ATB

Mark Chase
I think i will be taking you up on that offer, Yep think its going to be the Vytec all the way. :shade:

Thanks to all for your advice again :D it's great to now that theres folk out here that know what they are talking about.

Have seen one for £280 is that a good price?
With The VR3 diving computer you won't need to upgrade in the next years, the only minus I can said about this toy is the weight. In case you'll purchase a VR3 don't forget to connect a bungee or some other method as an extra secure from loosing it from your hand.

I use a VR3 as the main computer for Air, Nitrox & Trimix diving with an Uwatec Smart Pro in gauge mode.

Amir
Reactions: 1
The first computer I bought was a Vytec and I still use it now in guage mode with my VR3. Although it claims to be a decompression computer, its pretty limited, doesn't support trimix and provides you with the oddest stops.

Without you saying which style of diving you are planning to do its pretty much impossible to say which computer would be right fo you. Can you provide us with some idea of what type of diving you do today and what your plans are for the future?
In the poll you forgot:
"The one between your ears"
db8us said:
In the poll you forgot:
"The one between your ears"
You mean you can get a head-mounted computer? Cool, who makes them?

Do you need to mount them on a helmet or do they clip onto your mask strap? Is there a heads-up display?

:)
tom said:
Do you need to mount them on a helmet or do they clip onto your mask strap? Is there a heads-up display?

:)
Yeah, i should have expected this ;-)
Not on the mask-strap, since the IR-headcam is already there...
db8us said:
since the IR-headcam is already there...
You have an IR-camera in your head already? Woah, no wonder you don't have room for a computer in there as well! :D
Yes, i am working on a "X-RAY" cam to see the girls naked, even when they wear Drysuits :)
Many thanks to the sad git (no name of course) who gave me a red blob for my spelling on this thread followed by the comment learn to spell :) :) :)

As a dyslexic that right up there with telling a wheel chair bound person learn
to walk M8

Cutting and pasting every reply to MS to spell check it is a PITA and doesn’t always catch all the mistakes anyway. Just for you I made the effort on this one :angry:

ATB

Mark Chase
Reactions: 3
Aladdin Air-Z Nitrox.

I'd say go air integrated. It makes such a difference to your diving to know exactly how much you've got left in your tank and how long it's going to last you. It also adds an extra bit of redundancy to protect against sticking analogue guages.

And if you decide to go down that route then the Aladdin is by far the best value - over £100 cheaper than the Vytec + transmitter option.
Dive computers Help !!

Hi all I have a Uwatec Aladin sport plus .(the one with the Yellow cover ) can any one suggest a simple inexpensive alternative dive computer to this one . This computer will clock up the deco for you and give you the depths to stop at but it gives you No idear on how much deco time you have to hang at each stop for . you just have to wait at each stop untill the computer clears to the next depth level up . I have a slate with tables to back it up so can gauge how much deco time is needed but would like to get a computer that tells me how much time I have to do at each stop and counts down the time for me . can anyone suggest a very simple dive computer that will do that for me but the lower priced end of the Market
thanks Fiona.
I have a Mares M1 which is single gas, Nitrox to 50% and probably costs about £150.
It doesn't do deep stops but has been to 60m and gave similar deco times above 15m as deco software. The deco required is shown in minutes at the level required and counts down in minutes until cleared.

There's also a new RGBM version that supports deep stops now.

Apart from that, two real buttons, a big display, fantastic backlight and uses 2 easily obtainable AAA batteries that you can change yourself. Not a bad deal unless you want something that copes with multi-gas diving.
Mark Chase said:
Many thanks to the sad git (no name of course) who gave me a red blob for my spelling on this thread followed by the comment learn to spell :) :) :)

As a dyslexic that right up there with telling a wheel chair bound person learn
to walk M8

Cutting and pasting every reply to MS to spell check it is a PITA and doesn’t always catch all the mistakes anyway. Just for you I made the effort on this one :angry:

ATB

Mark Chase
Hi

No worries Mark, I've sent you a green one. Some people are just [email protected]@kers what can you say? Unlike the person who gave you the red one you still have plenty of greens aintcha? :teeth:

Andy

Oops. can't. I have to spread it around a bit LOL
compterters

John Nortcliff said:
I have a Mares M1 which is single gas, Nitrox to 50% and probably costs about £150.
It doesn't do deep stops but has been to 60m and gave similar deco times above 15m as deco software. The deco required is shown in minutes at the level required and counts down in minutes until cleared.

There's also a new RGBM version that supports deep stops now.

Apart from that, two real buttons, a big display, fantastic backlight and uses 2 easily obtainable AAA batteries that you can change yourself. Not a bad deal unless you want something that copes with multi-gas diving.
Hi John many thanks will look into this one
Fiona.
mares NEMO

I've put about 10 dives on a spanking new Mares Nemo and I have nothing but praise for it (the IRIS interface thing on the other hand was designed by the devil). Easy display to read and seems to do all I need in a computer.

Plus it looks cool. Which is (probably) very important. :)

Troc.
81 - 100 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.