YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

WHICH DIVE COMPUTER?

  • VYTEC?

    Votes: 92 29.9%
  • NEXUS?

    Votes: 1 0.3%
  • VR3?

    Votes: 75 24.4%
  • VR2?

    Votes: 2 0.6%
  • COCHRANE?

    Votes: 5 1.6%
  • ALADDIN?

    Votes: 58 18.8%
  • Other - Please state which?

    Votes: 75 24.4%
141 - 160 of 169 Posts

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
Joined
·
9,340 Posts
Don't rush to buy a new computer. I have five new computers sitting on my desk awaiting trials. Hopefully none will be found to be faulty!!! Oops! Correction: By Monday night it should be seven!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,677 Posts
Diving Dude said:
l bought a Vytec with integrated sensor, what a waste of dosh.
l bought it with the view that you could use it for accelerated deco, well on a recent dive to 57mtrs it went from reading 70 bar to 300 bar before it stopped reading the contents.

Also what's the point of having a three gas changes when it's not a trimix computer?
bottom gas 1, air
deco gas 2, o2

bailout gas 3, 50%

One or two more ways to use it, if you think about it

Steve G
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
I use a Vyper, did have an Air Integrated Aladin Air beforehand, prefer the Suunto.

Thinkng of getting a Vytec as you can switch the 'puter to Nitrox on the stops. Can't do this with Vyper, you have to state if it is an air or Nitrox dive before you get wet!
 

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
Joined
·
15,284 Posts
Diving Dude said:
l bought a Vytec with integrated sensor, what a waste of dosh.
l bought it with the view that you could use it for accelerated deco, well on a recent dive to 57mtrs it went from reading 70 bar to 300 bar before it stopped reading the contents.

Also what's the point of having a three gas changes when it's not a trimix computer?

Now like many others l use it now as an expensive depth/timer with a VR3.

Hmmmmm

Air intigrated in not my thing so I wont coment on that.

Like Howard I have a VR3 which is the best tec diving computer on the market. However its dammed expensive and not everybody wants to dive trimix past normoxic levels.

Prior to getting the VR3 I did a lot of deco diving down to 45m-50 using the Vytec. If you look at deco profiles on Decoplanner using elevated 02 mix for deco you can use 20-30% HE in back gas and it does not add to deco. In most cases it reduces deco. I stress again that you must use elevated 02 for deco to get this advantage.

As a result I dived for two years using the Vytec and a mix like 23/25 back gas 32% and 80% for deco on dives like the Moldavia. It worked fine for me but I ended up adding deep stops to the profile manually (rather like I do with the VR3)

Dive planning on the Vytec is a PITA so use Decoplanner set to 20/80GF and you get a run time that’s near as damit the same. There is a lot of good diving in the 30-50m deco range and the Vytec covers it reasonably well. Past that you need a VR3.

ATB

Mark Chase
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,677 Posts
Mark Chase said:
Hmmmmm

Air intigrated in not my thing so I wont coment on that.

Like Howard I have a VR3 which is the best tec diving computer on the market. However its dammed expensive and not everybody wants to dive trimix past normoxic levels.

Prior to getting the VR3 I did a lot of deco diving down to 45m-50 using the Vytec. If you look at deco profiles on Decoplanner using elevated 02 mix for deco you can use 20-30% HE in back gas and it does not add to deco. In most cases it reduces deco. I stress again that you must use elevated 02 for deco to get this advantage.

As a result I dived for two years using the Vytec and a mix like 23/25 back gas 32% and 80% for deco on dives like the Moldavia. It worked fine for me but I ended up adding deep stops to the profile manually (rather like I do with the VR3)

Dive planning on the Vytec is a PITA so use Decoplanner set to 20/80GF and you get a run time that’s near as damit the same. There is a lot of good diving in the 30-50m deco range and the Vytec covers it reasonably well. Past that you need a VR3.

ATB

Mark Chase
Dont you just love it when someone know,s what they're talking about,

thanks mark

Steve G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
daz said:
OK I'll bite,  why not rely solely on it?

Sure it may go wrong or not function correctly but then so could a analogue guage.

In which case maybe we should all have 2 guages just in case one goes wrong, and how would we know which one had gone wrong if there was a discrepency?

Yep it's a gimmick, yep it's a expensive luxary, but personally I would not consider it any more unreliable than a analogue guage.

Daz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
daz said:
OK I'll bite,  why not rely solely on it?

Sure it may go wrong or not function correctly but then so could a analogue guage.

In which case maybe we should all have 2 guages just in case one goes wrong, and how would we know which one had gone wrong if there was a discrepency?

Yep it's a gimmick, yep it's a expensive luxary, but personally I would not consider it any more unreliable than a analogue guage.

Daz
Got to agree with Daz,

I've got an Aladin air Nitrox Z AI and love it. Saying that I do carry a depth and pressure gauge with me (use it for instruction). I would say that I've never had a problem with the computer, though I'm now on my second set of gauges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
I've got the Vyper, very happy with it, nothing to compare it to as not used anything else.
Got SWMBO a secondhand US Divers M1 as she'll probably lose it anyway :cry: I'm looking for the manual at the moment if anyone has a photocopy or scan it would be gratefully recieved :love: I've come across the userguide which seems a bit small so if anyone has a bigger one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
vyper - but i wish it was a vytec..

My computer is definitely my favourite bit of kit! I have a vyper as someone in the club had his son's one (who had given up diving) and wasn't going to use it and sold it cheap! At the time i thought it would be more than adequate for the diving i would be doing, but now i wish i had got a vytec, with the gas switching, as i am diving on nitrox only since my bend.
Love the user friendly buttons and display, very visible, easy to understand, all info on one screeen, one of the newer bubble algorithms, plus user changeable batteries, robust yet relatively streamlined.

Best advice i was given was: Buy the best you can afford, and a computer that will cover all the diving you will be likely to be doing, so that it will last you as long as possible.
My advice: all of this, but buy something you feel comfortable with the layout, size, etc, plus go for wrist mounted rather than console (my personal preference!), plus have a back up table and depth guage/bottom timer...

Helen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Dacor/Darwin

I have a Suunto Mosquito. I bought Darwin from Dacor you can have the Airlab from Mares. I really like it. You have every information you need during the dive in one view. It helps a lot in low visibility water.

James Price said:
HI

  I have had a suunto stinger and want to upgrade to something that is a little "more", I still want it to show the time when asked but want a computer that has more applications for use as my diving experience increases. I do like air integrated computers ( vytec and aladin air z 02 ) but the vr2 has a alot more on offer in the later stages of diving.
  Anyway does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
james
 
141 - 160 of 169 Posts
Top