YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Just ordered my twins and bought the Halcyon backplate harness and wing. Big decision now as to which is the best lamp. Any advice from those using them would be appreciated. By the way, just for the record I am not DIR but am very impressed with the kit and configuration

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ Aug. 11 2003,21:28)]Just ordered my twins and bought the Halcyon backplate harness and wing. Big decision now as to which is the best lamp. Any advice from those using them would be appreciated. By the way, just for the record I am not DIR but am very impressed with the kit and configuration
I've got a Pro6 18w HID and for general UK diving it's brilliant. Burn time is good and the 18w lamp is really bright.

Unfortunatly they don't make them any more though they do a version called the Proteus that has SLA batteries that's roughly the same size.

I prefer the SLA's myself as it forms part of my weighting but YMMV.

I would personally recommend the 18w HID over the 10. The 10 is ok but everone I know who has bought one has ended up buying an 18w sooner or later.

It all comes down to how much money you have to spend. If you can afford the Helios 9 then go for it. Remember though that at some point you will need to replace the battries and NMIH are a _LOT_ more expensive than SLA.

Don't forget, you'll need some money left over for the DIR-F course. Go on, you know you want to really

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks Rob, that is just the sort of stuff I am after, apart from the last line. My name is Phil and I am a STROKE!!!!  

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Phil - you back from your travels then matey ?
Speak to JP - didn't he just get his from UW Explorers ?

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Phil, glad to see you back mate.

I think EE/Halcyon lights are the mutts nutts but they are very expensive, if you contact Andy H (DalesDiver) he's just set my mate up with a wicked little Sartek 10w HID unbilical which is really sexy, we had it stood next to a Halcyon 10w HID and they were nearly exactly the same unit, infact I think the lighthead WAS the same, but the whole thing was less than half the price of the Halcyon

If you ring him he'll show you both lights side by side, I think you'll be impressed, you just need to add a webbing loop to slide it onto your rig and you're good to go... don't forget to get a goodman handle too.  

All the best mate, hope to see you soon
Dave.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Paul and Tara, hi, yes I am back a bit earlier than planned. While I was sat on a beach on Koh Tao Mum had a heart attack so rushed back. She is out of hospital and doing nicely so thats the main thing. Hope all is well with you and I have been trying to contact JP but no reply, maybe they are away. Will e-mail you soon.

Dave, thanks for that, I hope to catch up with Andy soon as I just e-mailed a reply to his try dive, I want to play with the inspiration. Hope to catch up with you and the rest of the crew soon. Take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts